Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Dredging this thread.

Winter has arrived and I need a new rain jacket. I'm 6'3", 175 lbs (79kg), and have monkey arms. It doesn't get super cold here but it gets WET.

I'm thinking about a short sleeve Gabba for fast rides / racing and the medium fits well. But what about training? I need a waterproof jacket for those multi-hour rides in changeable conditions and for the wind protection. My understanding of the Gabba is that it will stink if not washed after every ride so I'm looking for a hard-shell jacket. I've always used clear race capes and I prefer to boil in a bag than be cold.

I was looking at the Showers Pass Elite Pro. Any other suggestions?
I haven't tried either of those but I did just get a Showers Pass Elite 2.1 which has a slightly less pro fit and a few more pockets than the Elite Pro. I'm 6'3" 190-200lbs and the medium fits me pretty well, but then again I wear medium t-shirts and jackets and 40 long suits. The sleeves are long enough for me (but my arms are not particularly longer than average) and I like that they have velcro so I can choose how much to close them up to regulate the level of breeze that flows through. I was leery of the pit zips since I've never had a jacket with them before but they work surprisingly well. I will say the Elite 2.1 is supposed to be the most breathable of all the Showers Pass jackets and it does not breathe at all. Upside of this is it's completely windproof, downside is you boil in a bag. The wind flow-through helps and you don't really feel it that much but at the end of your ride you will be soaking. I was hoping this jacket would replace my old crappy Bellwether but I've kept it around since it is more breathable and better for light chill 55-65degF temps. OTOH it's not waterproof at all and only windproof in theory, so there are always tradeoffs.