Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tall Skinny Clothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tall Skinny Clothing

Freakishly tall skinny pr!cks please gather 'round. Call out your favorite threads that when ordered in a size to fit your arms and torso are not sized for a modestly proportioned Sumo Wrestler ;) Seriously, it is a real challenge to find the goods.

Goes like this:
    37"3/4 sleeve, 17 3/4 neck 35" waist.
    NAU shroud of purrin jacket in XL that fits like a glove. I've much love for this jacket, it repels wind and rain very nicely and dresses up for dinner yet tough enough that harsh treatment does not ruin the exterior. Probably one of the best short jackets I own.

Chrome Cobra Merino Hoodie size L XL would be overkill and the L is snug everywhere...makes me feel skinny ;)
    Of all things, this is great. I had low expectations but because it is made for riding the sleeves and tail are very long. Just sew up the silly thumb holes. Very well made product.

Last edited by Too Tall; 12-26-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tall Tubular Threads

Awesome idea, TT!

6'7'', 43-44 chest, 35 waist. I recently picked up the Hugo Boss Sintrax (terrible name) in 44L. I know some traditionalists like their overcoats a bit longer, I don't care. The fit is perfect: modern, nice and slim. No alterations needed. Its the best formal jacket I've ever had.

Cycling related. The Gabba jersey in XL is just about a perfect fit too. Torso could use an extra inch, but the sleeves are perfect and at our height fit doesn't get much better than this off the rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed wrt the Gabba Jersey.

Smartwool MEN'S MERINOMAX HALF ZIP looks promising. I've got two 3/4 zip baselayer tops that are perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For winter or ski gear all things Norrona is a great fit for the tall and skinny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bookmarking/namecheck anything Smartwool or Castelli - if that stuff lasts more than a season(10 rides?!), I'll send you a pint of grade C maple syrup from VT.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Agreed wrt the Gabba Jersey.

Smartwool MEN'S MERINOMAX HALF ZIP looks promising. I've got two 3/4 zip baselayer tops that are perfect.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    Bookmarking/namecheck anything Smartwool or Castelli - if that stuff lasts more than a season(10 rides?!), I'll send you a pint of grade C maple syrup from VT.
    That was easy. Yes, both Castelli and Smartwool are top notch stuff and the Castelli Gabba is a very special piece of work. That jersey is made for riding in cold wet conditions or cold windy conditions, it is brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was easy. Yes, both Castelli and Smartwool are top notch stuff and the Castelli Gabba is a very special piece of work. That jersey is made for riding in cold wet conditions or cold windy conditions, it is brilliant.
    I'll be in touch after spring sugaring. :-) You are good with a needle and thread?
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not as tall as either of you but still take a 37" sleeve. I recently bought a new shell:
    Rab Stretch Neo size L and the sleeves are long enough with a nice slim fit, I am excited for the neoshell this winter skiing.
    For wool baselayer I/O Bio baselayers are cut slim with some elastic, super long in the body and arms. The arms have thumb-holes which I can use when pulling another layer on overtop, but not for general wear but they go a little past my wrist. I have 2 older ones and they are holding up well. For comparison a smartwool baselayer L is almost 3" shorter in the sleeves and body but baggy in the waist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    I'll be in touch after spring sugaring. :-) You are good with a needle and thread?
    Yep. Curiously, I've been trying to learn and failing to learn how to knit for just as long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tall Skinny Clothing

After wearing this thing a good 1/2 dozen times and am totally digging what a fine piece the Assos iJ.Bonka.6 Cento Volkanga AEPD Slim Fit jacket is. *Try saying that three times without running out of breath.

That jacket is the best cycling clothing purchase I've made in years. JoniT's Texmarket NFS kit will equal it but for now if you have a need for this jacket get it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both Castelli and Smartwool are top notch stuff
    Smartwool used to be top notch. I have been extremely disappointed by their socks i the last 18 months or so. They just do not last any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Smartwool used to be top notch. I have been extremely disappointed by their socks i the last 18 months or so. They just do not last any more.
    Try Swiftwick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed on both counts re: socks. I've blown out a few Smartwool and Icebreaker socks before I learned my lesson. I am pleased with Defeet though!

Cheap dress shirts: Express slim shirts. You'll find white somewhere among the plethora of Jersey shore pastels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Lionel, start here, and then you can read me as a broken record here, here, and here, and probably a few other places as well.

Unless I'm in dress or statement socks, I only wear Darn Tough and Swiftwick. I have warrantied a couple of pairs of Darn Tough. Could not have been any easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree on the Chrome sweaters. Like them so much I bought the hooded and hoodless versions this month. The key is they are pretty long. Wore my old Chrome sweater daily from June 2009 to December 2013 - holes in both elbows by that point.

Anyone know of jeans in a 28x34 size? Last couple stores I asked at just laughed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also tremendously afflicted with long arms (6'2" with a 37.5" sleeve) and I've had very good experience with the following:

Stoic: backcountry.com house brand, not the best in quality, but great service and the cut works for me and it's pretty inexpensive. I ski in the Bombshell and get a lot of wear out of the now-discontinued Pertex fill Luft Hoody, both in size L. The Bombshell is plenty roomy for layering underneath, the Luft more form-fitting. I've also got a plethora of their wool baselayers in various configurations.

Rab: Ditto sailor above. This is the good shit. UK company, don't see a ton of it in the US, and it's made for climbers so the sleeves are super long. I've got the Momentum lightweight eVent shell (looks to be discontinued) which might possibly be the most kickass piece of outdoor gear that I own, and the Vapour-Rise Guide jacket which is insanely warm. Again, both size L. Only small complaint is that the Momentum could be a tad longer in the torso. I purchased the Vapour-Rise at Rock and Snow in New Paltz after Darren wouldn't shut up about how comfortable his is, and he's correct. For me it's best for xc/bc skiing, riding, running, etc. when temps get down around 20*F or so. For temps above that it can be a bit too warm, but it's easy enough to vent.
    Last edited by Eddie; 12-26-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    Lionel, start here, and then you can read me as a broken record here, here, and here, and probably a few other places as well.

Unless I'm in dress or statement socks, I only wear Darn Tough and Swiftwick. I have warrantied a couple of pairs of Darn Tough. Could not have been any easier.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tall Skinny Clothing

If Sheplers does not have it. They don't exist. Cowboy Boots, Cowgirl Boots, Cowboy Hats, Western Wear, and Jeans -- Sheplers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker View Post
    Agree on the Chrome sweaters. Like them so much I bought the hooded and hoodless versions this month. The key is they are pretty long. Wore my old Chrome sweater daily from June 2009 to December 2013 - holes in both elbows by that point.

Anyone know of jeans in a 28x34 size? Last couple stores I asked at just laughed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is awesome guys. I'll check out these recommendations. I'm only 6'4" and I'm not exactly skinny at 215lbs, but most outer wear that is actually long enough for my arms and torso fits like a pavilion tent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dredging this thread.

Winter has arrived and I need a new rain jacket. I'm 6'3", 175 lbs (79kg), and have monkey arms. It doesn't get super cold here but it gets WET.

I'm thinking about a short sleeve Gabba for fast rides / racing and the medium fits well. But what about training? I need a waterproof jacket for those multi-hour rides in changeable conditions and for the wind protection. My understanding of the Gabba is that it will stink if not washed after every ride so I'm looking for a hard-shell jacket. I've always used clear race capes and I prefer to boil in a bag than be cold.

I was looking at the Showers Pass Elite Pro. Any other suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast