Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tall Skinny Clothing

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Dredging this thread.

Winter has arrived and I need a new rain jacket. I'm 6'3", 175 lbs (79kg), and have monkey arms. It doesn't get super cold here but it gets WET.

I'm thinking about a short sleeve Gabba for fast rides / racing and the medium fits well. But what about training? I need a waterproof jacket for those multi-hour rides in changeable conditions and for the wind protection. My understanding of the Gabba is that it will stink if not washed after every ride so I'm looking for a hard-shell jacket. I've always used clear race capes and I prefer to boil in a bag than be cold.

I was looking at the Showers Pass Elite Pro. Any other suggestions?
    I haven't tried either of those but I did just get a Showers Pass Elite 2.1 which has a slightly less pro fit and a few more pockets than the Elite Pro. I'm 6'3" 190-200lbs and the medium fits me pretty well, but then again I wear medium t-shirts and jackets and 40 long suits. The sleeves are long enough for me (but my arms are not particularly longer than average) and I like that they have velcro so I can choose how much to close them up to regulate the level of breeze that flows through. I was leery of the pit zips since I've never had a jacket with them before but they work surprisingly well. I will say the Elite 2.1 is supposed to be the most breathable of all the Showers Pass jackets and it does not breathe at all. Upside of this is it's completely windproof, downside is you boil in a bag. The wind flow-through helps and you don't really feel it that much but at the end of your ride you will be soaking. I was hoping this jacket would replace my old crappy Bellwether but I've kept it around since it is more breathable and better for light chill 55-65degF temps. OTOH it's not waterproof at all and only windproof in theory, so there are always tradeoffs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapha rain jacket. It is what it is...a very good lightweight rain jacket. They do outterwear very well.

Note, if you ride in the rain...really ride in the rain...waterproof is not something you need to pay for. You will be wet inside and outside from your sweat so really the issue is windproof and venting in that order.

For really nasty I go for a Rapha softshell which is a beast, durable and effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 6'3" 160. To get a snug fit with my team jersey (no flapping!) I need a medium, but it's too short and leaves a gap with the front of my bibs. Who makes a jersey for beanpoles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curve Proline GT Rain Jacket

I bought one on here from boots2000. It's radical.

Edit: looks like it is out of stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapha Pro Team Race Cape works well depending on your comfort range. That is to say it is easier to get along with in cold rain unless you cut the sleeves off for warm rain. I'd go so far as to say it's the best jacket they make. The new version with zippers at the wrists might even be better. Nothing low cut in the back or flaps that flip down to be found here. It will accommodate all three rear pockets fully stuffed without issue.

Order a size up from normal or maybe two. At 6', 140 lbs I took a medium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel I should update this thread. I ended up with an Endura Helium - I tried a medium on and the sleeve length was OK but the torso a little baggy. Out of curiosity I tried the small which made no change in sleeve length but the chest is much more fitted. They do a nice red which is on-brand for my company and a good combo of visible without being fluro.

It's a nice jacket with a snug neck with offset zip, seems to be pretty much 100% waterproof, breaths reasonably well for a hard-shell jacket, and looks good. The zip doesn't jam on it's own flap (a pet peeve of mine), and the whole jacket seems to pack down quite small, although its still a little bulky and hard to put on (the sleeves are tight) to be considered a pack-along jacket. This is the jacket I reach for when I'm leaving home in the rain, not if I'm expecting showers.

The Helium is listed as "athletic fit" and they do another jacket called the Equipe which is "highly athletic fit" however our importer does not stock this model.

For the record I'm 6'3" 175lbs / 193cm 79kg.

Sorry, but that Rapha jacket in Drizzle Grey or Fluro Yellow just won't cut it despite looking fashionable.
    helium.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good jacket, I have it in white. Took the L for my 196cm/85kg body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Digging this thread up from the past. 6'2" 175 pounds and looking for bib shorts. What do you recommend?
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    Digging this thread up from the past. 6'2" 175 pounds and looking for bib shorts. What do you recommend?
    The Rapha Pro Team Bibs in long. Weird pad placement but somehow it works on the bike. If you don't have junk in your trunk, might need to at least try a size down. Seem to be built for max glutes. But the length is great.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having a hard time saying no to Assos. Factory outlet always has deals on last years latest and greatest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geez a lot has changed since 2014! Luckily aero (and therefore tight fitting) became cool and longer sleeves and longer bibs are pretty much the norm now.

For jackets I've had a few over the past 5 years:
    I had a Rapha Pro Team thing where the zip broke and the waterproof coating wore off after a single winter. Crap.
    This Madison jacket is amazing. I bought two of them and they're ideal for drizzle but they do wet-out. Great stretch, long sleeves, and really well fitted. They're designed by their pro team Madison Clothing
    Gore C7 ShakeDry. If you haven't tried the ShakeDry fabric you need to. The C7 isn't the best fitting jacket for tall skinny fellas but works. Very packable.
    Casetelli Idro Pro2 ShakeDry. This is a badass winter jacket and fits skinny people really well surprisingly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SierraTradingPost has the original Gore one shakedry jackets in all sizes for $80. I'm really tempted but can't get past wearing a black rain jacket.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necro-thread revival ;)

Good news bad news, actually all bad news. My all time favorite training jacket is done. The Rapha Pro Team jacket is sublime, rather was sublime. It is designed for a tempo ride where you are not killing yourself and might ride in a bit of weather or cold. The jacket has windblock in just enough places you never feel vulnerable. Anywho, I ordered a replacement jacket and guess what? They changed the sizing dramatically. Where this jacket used to have generous sleeves and fit tall tubular folks it is now made for folks who are well I don't know what they are but it ain't me. The new XL fit has 1 1/2" shorter sleeves and a good 2.5 to 3" less waist. Grrrr.

If you are familiar with this, formerly, brilliant jacket and have a suggestion for a replacement PLEASE speak up. Rapha my dear we are so not going out to the movies ever again. xxoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Casetelli Idro Pro2 ShakeDry. This is a badass winter jacket and fits skinny people really well surprisingly.
    I’ve logged a lot of wet rides in this jacket since 2017 and it still amazes me. The Idro 3 and Idro Pro3 are also good but for ongoing downpours the Idro Pro2 is my rain jacket of choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't beat Shakedry fabric for it's combination of lightweight, breathability, and waterproofness. I have a Gore version and it is fantastic. Huge downside is the dark brown color of shakedry fabric.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the Shakedry endorsement. I'm looking for something to replace the Rapha Pro Team Jacket which is not for rain, more of a cool weather training jacket.

Man are we specific or are we simply cloths fiends?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velocio Signature Softshell maybe? My wife has one and it is a nice jacket. Part of their layering system. I have the Rapha Pro jacket and the Velocio is similar weight. Comes in 4XL.

https://velocio.cc/collections/jacke...ftshell-jacket
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a Bouré jacket? They offer custom sizing, so you should be able to get the sleeves and body length you need:

https://www.boure.com/5104.html

I don't have any of their stuff, but have heard good things. I don't know how similar the fabric is to the Rapha fabric either.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Velocio Signature Softshell maybe? My wife has one and it is a nice jacket. Part of their layering system. I have the Rapha Pro jacket and the Velocio is similar weight. Comes in 4XL.

https://velocio.cc/collections/jacke...ftshell-jacket
    I'm looking at the S1-J I've had good luck with them and this seems like a Goldilocks item.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you’re looking into custom kit then check out Cuore. They allow you to tailor individual garments in an order with up to 8cm of extra sleeve or inseam length.

Their kit is absolutely top quality. They do a fleece-lined jacket which I can’t find on their website which is fantastic for the cool, dry conditions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast