Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Carbon Process

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carbon Process

A very interesting read over at BikeRumour.com. They are going through the process Guru uses for their carbon frames.

Factory Tour – Guru Cycles, Part 2: Building a Carbon Bicycle Frame

Nothing too unexpected but a few cool bits. Using glass beads to fill/stiffen the internal bladder for layup is a neat idea. I'm working on something using low melt alloy instead. It looks like they're using an AirTech fairing compound at the joints (pink). I tried that but didn't like the results and didn't want to have the bake the frame too many times in the process.

One thing I noticed is the fillets don't leave much exposed tube at the joints (HT and BB tubes). I've always thought it best the have the joint wrap adhere to both tubes, carbon to carbon, with a smaller fillet. Would their method not leave just a tiny bond line where the carbon wrap meets the tube at a sharp angle?

Glen
    back40 bicycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Carbon Process

I like the simplicity of their test rig.

I've been talking to Todd about getting him to make me an EN14781 test rig, this should make it cheaper and easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in what way is it simpler than exactly what the spec calls out? it has all the elements of most EN14781 test beds i've seen. i'm about 2/3rds through building mine. pneumatics, solenoids and timing are all done. just need to build the frame. if i am missing something I'd like it pointed out. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    I like the simplicity of their test rig.

I've been talking to Todd about getting him to make me an EN14781 test rig, this should make it cheaper and easier.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow...they gave them a surprising amount of access to their process.

Thanks for posting this.

Dave
    Dave Anderson
    Anderson Custom Bicycles
    www.andersoncustombicycles.com
    ACB on Facebook
    ACB on flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's simpler than the version of which I was thinking but that's probably my natural tendency to overcomplicate everything talking.

The spec is for an applied force of 1100N, I was thinking of doing this with a calibrated air ram or similar. Just hanging a weight and lifting it off like Guru do is much simpler to implement and automatically already calibrated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by back40 View Post
    A very interesting read over at BikeRumour.com. They are going through the process Guru uses for their carbon frames.

Nothing too unexpected but a few cool bits. Using glass beads to fill/stiffen the internal bladder for layup is a neat idea. I'm working on something using low melt alloy instead. It looks like they're using an AirTech fairing compound at the joints (pink). I tried that but didn't like the results and didn't want to have the bake the frame too many times in the process.

One thing I noticed is the fillets don't leave much exposed tube at the joints (HT and BB tubes). I've always thought it best the have the joint wrap adhere to both tubes, carbon to carbon, with a smaller fillet. Would their method not leave just a tiny bond line where the carbon wrap meets the tube at a sharp angle?

Glen
    back40 bicycleworks
    We invented a low melt alloy process for aircraft props 15 years ago i mentioned it on the old FF for shorts aircraft it has been obsolete for many years as basically more advanced methods were developed off the back of them though i dont know if there was a patent placed on it there was talk

Test rigs for carbon in and metallics in general just wiggle till something breaks, nearly engineering science but we found you need other bits of info to mske it truly accurate and representative

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mark, i think the hanging weight is more about the un-official over valued STW(Stiffness To Weight) thing so many are into. Watch the video for the EN testbed.

Pneumatic cylinders force calculations are pretty simple. F=P A where P is the air pressure and A is the area of the piston. So if you are looking for a force of 1100N(250lb) with a 3" cylinder, 84psi will get you there. Some dual action cylinders introduce losses but their data sheets would provide insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    It's simpler than the version of which I was thinking but that's probably my natural tendency to overcomplicate everything talking.

The spec is for an applied force of 1100N, I was thinking of doing this with a calibrated air ram or similar. Just hanging a weight and lifting it off like Guru do is much simpler to implement and automatically already calibrated.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021