Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want a new briefcase

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I want a new briefcase

Recently got a new bag. Looked at the Filsons and they just didn't grab me. Ultimately went with the Custom Hide US Army Briefcase 2 compartment. Full leather, plenty of room for a laptop, and can be customized on order for whatever you want. Been very happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks really nice but I have always commuted by public transportation which means anything with really nice leather ultimately gets trashed at some point (in North East weather).

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Recently got a new bag. Looked at the Filsons and they just didn't grab me. Ultimately went with the Custom Hide US Army Briefcase 2 compartment. Full leather, plenty of room for a laptop, and can be customized on order for whatever you want. Been very happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry the quote didn't go...

NYCFixie

Sounds like the Original should be okay? I'm a bag guy and starting a new coffee business. I foresee (sigh) much more paperwork etc. in my life than I have had in 20 years or so. I Grabbed the navy blue Briefcase Computer bag. I almost always have a water bottle a camera and a rain jacket with me. I think it should be a good size and flexible.

Are you keeping both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooks Brothers descriptions were off (and they sold out fast) so I did not figure out the difference between the briefcase computer bag and the padded computer bag in time and ended up with the briefcase and padded computer bag. Now it appears the briefcase computer bag is a wider version of the briefcase whereas the padded computer bag is overall a bigger bag than the others in all dimensions.

Ordered both in olive (shown in pics above). Figured I would test fit this weekend and decide which one to return.

Quote Originally Posted by charliedid View Post

NYCFixie

Sounds like the Original should be okay? I'm a bag guy and starting a new coffee business. I foresee (sigh) much more paperwork etc. in my life than I have had in 20 years or so. I Grabbed the navy blue Briefcase Computer bag. I almost always have a water bottle a camera and a rain jacket with me. I think it should be a good size and flexible.

Are you keeping both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a black Filson Briefcase Computer Bag (257) the other day and I love it - that thing's a tank, but I can see that for some folks and some applications it may be a bit too much, in which case the 256 would be the way to go.

Here's a good review of the 257 vs 256: https://filsonfan.com/2012/11/26/bri...on-256-vs-257/

(256 = olive, 257 = tan)

Newport Rhode Island ---> Tijuana Mexico 2021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So excited. Headed to Tokyo for 16 days for vacation. One of my main goals when I go will be to pick up a nice brief case.

The briefcase game is incredibly strong in Tokyo, I have never seen so many varieties and everyone going to work has one. Looking to purchase a Porter Yoshida, Briefing, or what ever new thing they have for this year.
    Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

256 Filson Briefcase
    257 Filson Briefcase Computer Bag
    258 Filson Padded Computer Bag

I did more research and most people say they are basically s, m, and l. The 258 is bigger due to the padding but does not necessarily add more storage room.

The 256 can fit some file folders (or binder) or a laptop but not both, the 257 can fit a binder and a laptop, and the 258 can fit all with maybe an extra ipad but again the padding takes up much of the space and is not necessarily needed. Most reviews say that 257 is a really good size for an EDC.

Filson still has the 257 on sale in navy but I am not sure I like the navy with brown leather.

I also am trying to note that I only need to carry textbooks for about a year and then it is back to a real job and may not need all the extra room of the 258 (or even the 257).

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I got a black Filson Briefcase Computer Bag (257) the other day and I love it - that thing's a tank, but I can see that for some folks and some applications it may be a bit too much, in which case the 256 would be the way to go.

Here's a good review of the 257 vs 256: https://filsonfan.com/2012/11/26/bri...on-256-vs-257/

(256 = olive, 257 = tan)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Brooks Brothers descriptions were off (and they sold out fast) so I did not figure out the difference between the briefcase computer bag and the padded computer bag in time and ended up with the briefcase and padded computer bag. Now it appears the briefcase computer bag is a wider version of the briefcase whereas the padded computer bag is overall a bigger bag than the others in all dimensions.

Ordered both in olive (shown in pics above). Figured I would test fit this weekend and decide which one to return.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    256 Filson Briefcase
    257 Filson Briefcase Computer Bag
    258 Filson Padded Computer Bag

I did more research and most people say they are basically s, m, and l. The 258 is bigger due to the padding but does not necessarily add more storage room.

The 256 can fit some file folders (or binder) or a laptop but not both, the 257 can fit a binder and a laptop, and the 258 can fit all with maybe an extra ipad but again the padding takes up much of the space and is not necessarily needed. Most reviews say that 257 is a really good size for an EDC.

Filson still has the 257 on sale in navy but I am not sure I like the navy with brown leather.
    Yep,

I also am trying to note that I only need to carry textbooks for about a year and then it is back to a real job and may not need all the extra room of the 258 (or even the 257).
    I bought the 257 (best size for me) because of the price but I think the navy is unique. I sold Filson back in the mid 1990's when it was becoming a more widely sold brand and regret never buying any luggage. I had piles of Patagonia luggage and it just seemed to suit me and my lifestyle better.

I should have the bag tomorrow. I think it will be good for my needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If any of you up and coming working stiffs are looking for a vintage briefcase, I have this Tumi padded (for a laptop) brief (17"L x 13"H x 5"W) that's been gathering dust in the closet that I forgot about. Pay for shipping, send Josh $30 to keep the servers burning and it's all yours to go with your hipster brown Allen Edmonds. All zippers work, there are some scuffs of course and about 6" of the interior liner could use some glue. Better pics to come if interested.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey RW - your mailbox is full (and no wonder!)
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    Hey RW - your mailbox is full (and no wonder!)
    Cleaned it out.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

https://www.tombihn.com/products/syn...nt=34038918983

Synapse 25 + cache is my work setup. Well thought out bag with lots of pockets, high quality zippers, and a snazzy interior color. If you don't like the current color combos, wait a week or month or so. They put up new color combos frequently. Putting the water bottle sleeve in the center is a nice touch if your walking any distance. I use the eyelets for keystraps and an organizer cube. If you think we like bikes, there is a forum to geek-out on bag information and pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the look of the Tom Bihn bags, but right now I am using a a Kletterwerks Kurier (which is unfortunately discontinued.) I really like it, made well and I have been using it for over 2 years, which is a while for a bag whore like me, i do not wear it like this pic, but that was what I could find on the internet.

When I fly for work I use a Greenroom136 Bootstrap in medium . It is the most well thought I bag I own. Pockets are in all the right places, all the right size, and a padded sleeve for laptops. https://www.greenroom136.com/shop/Bo...reen-p10897764 . Not too big, looks good casual or in the office. But it is just not that dressy so I don't use it everyday .

-Joe

Newport Rhode Island ---> Tijuana Mexico 2021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked this slick briefcAse at the flagship Porter Yoshida Omotesando shop. It is for a friend who gifted me a bunch of campagnolo parts for my derosa neo primato build.

2C1CF4C7-8A7F-4EDD-8768-A28FF8317B03.jpeg
    Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the market for a new briefcase that will accompany me on a new job that will have me in airports and train stations with a rolling carry on a lot. I'd love anyone's feedback on something they own that they love, but I'd also like help making the decision! Help me spend €€.

The criteria are pretty simple:
    - Have the ability to slide over the handle of a rolling suitcase
    - Have multiple side and main pockets to handle notebooks/computer/passport/etc.
    - Durable, but not a brick sh*thouse like the Filson bridle bag
    - Handles + shoulder strap
    - I want to spend south of €700 if possible
    - No random provenance sweatshop stuff
    - Classic styling

I'm already between a few:
    - The Armoury + Porter
    - Filson 24 hour
    - TravelTeq Lucca Double

Any thoughts are appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fellow at work recently purchased one of the bags from DEFY and I am impressed...several versions are available of course....leather, waxed canvas and ballistic cloth.

Defender Briefcase | Black Wax Canvas – DEFY MFG. Co.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a different model, but my Filson has been great. Casual enough to fit my software company lifestyle but fancy enough to look like something an adult would carry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a Saddleback wallet that I love (and found out about here on vSalon), they make briefcases too - Briefcases | Full-Grain Premium Leather Briefcases
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for the feedback so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

First of all, just go to Carryology | Exploring Better Ways to Carry and get ready for overdose. It's the website that introduces and reviews just about anything in a case, briefcase, messenger, suitcase, and so on. It gets pretty esoteric with all kinds of limited production bags from Japan, American bags made only for the Japanese market (talking about you, Mystery Ranch), and so on.

This seems to be a Filson crowd but do look at TomBihn, especially the ballistic nylon versions. He understands that Cordura is a bit garish and the brushed finish also collects every dog hair on your dog. Ballistic nylon doesn't, doesn't chafe your clothing as much, and is easier to clean.

If you want amazing quality, check Bedouin Foundry for the nicest messenger bags ever made. Very elegant bags for use as a shoulder-strapped briefcase. Another supremely elegant solution is Troubadour -- at their own website and also at the Barney's New York site. I don't think either of those have been mentioned yet; I have both and love them both, along with Tom Bihn as more of a working bag. But after perusing the Carryology website for a couple years, you'll have plenty of other ideas.
    Lane DeCamp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast