Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want a new briefcase

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I want a new briefcase

For future reference, Killspencer out of LA makes amazing briefcases, and in the USA.

Very simple, not cheap, but not luxury-8x-mark-up pricing, and really, really well-made.

BRIEFCASE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S View Post
    For future reference, Killspencer out of LA makes amazing briefcases, and in the USA.

Very simple, not cheap, but not luxury-8x-mark-up pricing, and really, really well-made.

BRIEFCASE
    Nice stuff. Bookmarked for future reference - thx!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I picked up a Waterfield Cozmo laptop bag. I really love it—well made, great design, comfortable shoulder strap.

I bought it in a Medium, but have decided my 6'6" self (and self's new 15" macbook getting here Thurs) needs the large.

It's about a month old, and shows zero signs of use/no wear. Black/black. How much more black could it be? And the answer is none...none more black!

If anybody wants it, I'll sell it for $175 shipped (Orig $199 + I think $13 shipping)

Give me a shout.
    JC
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a Mountain Khakis Field Bag for work and totally dig it.

robonza: Review Mountain Khakis Field Bag

One drawback, I like to bring a Nalgene full of Iced Tea to work on my long days, and it barely fits. So are you packing tons of stuff everyday, this is not the bag.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got this from Saddleback Leather. It's a perfect fit for minimalist meetings. 13" Macbook pro, charger, some papers perhaps a book. The laptop is a snug fit and therefor secure.

Lila Bag.jpg

The dog was already here.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New hire getting checked out on the briefcase......
    briefcase.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/thread revival

Starting grad school (virtual online weekly live classes and a ton of reading) in my mid-40s so I will be moving from library to library in Boston to keep boredom at bay.

It is time for a new bag because my current Timbuk2 is showing major wear and tear at the bottom edges. For the past 20+ years I have used Manhattan Portage and Timbuk2. The quality is not the same as what is used to be. Need to get something that will keep my NYC street cred but not make me look like someones father.

I need to carry 1 or 2 textbooks (I do not like reading on the computer), 14" thin/light laptop (Lenovo X1), laptop and phone charger, notepad, pens, pencils, keys, small umbrella, and a water bottle. I really like the Filson stuff but not really sure what to get. Filson suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post

I have one of these and I think it fits your needs. You can borrow mine to confirm. I use it for travel books and binoculars mostly and have no immediate needs for it, so yours for as long as you need to make a decision.

Field Bag - Medium | Filson

mine is otter green.
    Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    I just got one of these

Tin Cloth Original Briefcase | Filson

Just started makin em in black recently. Takes a beating and holds a lot but it isn't bulky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out WaterField designs - https://www.sfbags.com/

Great quality, well-designed stuff made in SF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The WaterField Designs NEW! ATLAS EXECUTIVE ATHLETIC HOLDALL is cool but much too big for an everyday carry-all. If I was travelling for work I would definitely consider it.

Not too crazy about the other offerings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    /thread revival

Starting grad school (virtual online weekly live classes and a ton of reading) in my mid-40s so I will be moving from library to library in Boston to keep boredom at bay.

It is time for a new bag because my current Timbuk2 is showing major wear and tear at the bottom edges. For the past 20+ years I have used Manhattan Portage and Timbuk2. The quality is not the same as what is used to be. Need to get something that will keep my NYC street cred but not make me look like someones father.

I need to carry 1 or 2 textbooks (I do not like reading on the computer), 14" thin/light laptop (Lenovo X1), laptop and phone charger, notepad, pens, pencils, keys, small umbrella, and a water bottle. I really like the Filson stuff but not really sure what to get. Filson suggestions?
    I use this one: Original Briefcase | Durable, Rugged | Filson

Works great and I felt like a grownup when I switched to it from my old messenger bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I use this one: Original Briefcase | Durable, Rugged | Filson

Works great and I felt like a grownup when I switched to it from my old messenger bag.
    Coming from you that also means it has "tech pro" cred which is also what I need to maintain.

I was also looking at the Padded Computer Bag | Laptop Briefcase | Filson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming from you that also means it has "tech pro" cred which is also what I need to maintain.

I was also looking at the Padded Computer Bag | Laptop Briefcase | Filson
    Ha! It lets me blend in with the suits and still hang with the nerds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Ha! It lets me blend in with the suits and still hang with the nerds.
    I hope to straddle that line for years to come...
    Bachelors => 20+ years experience => Masters and professional briefcase => CIO (or maybe CISO)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t wear a suit or a jacket as much as I used to so I made the switch to a messenger bag. Padded area for a laptop, plenty of room for a bunch of “stuff” and waterproof for the inevitable times that I’m caught out in the rain. When I need to play the part of the executive, I pull out my old leather Tumi.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I don’t wear a suit or a jacket as much as I used to so I made the switch to a messenger bag. Padded area for a laptop, plenty of room for a bunch of “stuff” and waterproof for the inevitable times that I’m caught out in the rain. When I need to play the part of the executive, I pull out my old leather Tumi.
    Well played; horses for courses.

I've never felt the classic messenger bag meets stylistic norms outside of urban areas or in higher level executive meetings. But, as a life-long urban public transportation commuter, I hate when my stuff gets wet due to rain, snow, etc. because at some point it always does if you do not have a weather repellent/resistant bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they have discontinued the bag i use daily now, but i have an allen edmonds bag that is absolutely excellent quality. i use it for my daily NYC commute, and it has been through a lot in the past few years, as most NYC commuters would understand. i bought it on super sale a while ago, but it might be worth keeping an eye out for when they have a sale to see if there is anything they have meeting your size criteria.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of beautiful bags listed here...

My favorite camera bag maker is Fogg, and I see they make the rough equivalent of briefcases and even city backpacks suitable for view cameras. They aren't technical bags to carry in the outback, but they are *way* nicer than the Billingham bags that are popular. The Billinghams are tough and fashionable, but the interior material is rough enough to rub the finish off of cameras (grrr....). The Fogg interior is top-end linen. I love these things -- my next bag will be a B-Major to replace my Billingham.
    Fogg Last Waltz satchel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I needed to transition from my messenger bag to something a little more professional looking, I went with this option:
    https://www.duluthpack.com/computer-portfolio.html. I have the "waxed canvas" color. It holds a surprising amount of stuff. I can get a laptop/laptop bag, a number of papers/documents/folders, my (admittedly small) shoes, and a lunch inside of the bag, along with a few other miscellaneous items. I've had the bag for a little more than a year now, and it's great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooks Brothers had a similar sale on Filson products and was actually a bit cheaper. I ordered an Original Briefcase (top) and Padded Computer Bag (bottom). Very well made but both probably a bit bigger than I thought. Only need to carry, at most, stuff mentioned below.

/thread revival

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast