User Tag List

Thread: Building with an 1 1/8 headtube on mountain bike? Bad idea based on movement to 44mm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Building with an 1 1/8 headtube on mountain bike? Bad idea based on movement to 44mm?

Hope everyone is well.

I was wondering if there is a general consensus amongst you pro's on the movement towards 44mm headtubes on mountain bikes.

Does it still make sense to even offer an 1 1/8 headtube for mountain bikes?

Reason is I am going to be building (#16!) a 650b singlespeed for a 5'2", 106lb, female rider and felt that based on her proportions that a 44mm might be overkill (IMO).

The problem I am now seeing is the availability of straight 1 1/8 suspension forks and don't want to build a frame where she might have a difficult time finding a replacement fork down the road.

Thanks for your insights.

Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Building with an 1 1/8 headtube on mountain bike? Bad idea based on movement to 4

From a functional standpoint, there is nothing wrong with a 36ish mm headtubes for 1/18 steerers. The cons of not using a 44mm headtube though are the perceptions of lack of availability in fork options down the road, like you noted.

The reality is that most folks don't swap out their forks often, if at all, and all the current straight steerer forks won't disappear.......and then there is still the Lefty. :)

If trying to squeeze out grams, the 44mm is heavier, FWIW.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Building with an 1 1/8 headtube on mountain bike? Bad idea based on movement to 4

Given her size and weight, a tapered fork with matching 44mm head tube would be overkill in one sense. But I'd also say that the majority of forks are headed the tapered route. So moving forward, more and more options will be available as tapered steerers only. That's just my hunch however I think it's the reality. One thing I do is build around a 44mm head tube almost exclusively because of this. Nothing stinks more than having a bike built for you only to be stymied down the road by a compatibility issue and we all know what's in today is out tomorrow with cyclists.

Weight and overkill aside, I would most likely build around the 1.5 standard because of what I mentioned above and also to gain access to more fork options even though the 1 1/8 option is sufficient. That's just me.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the reason to build only with the next "standard" is used and taken to it's extreme then we'd never be building anything. because there will always be another dimension/standard coming down the pike. Pick what works best for the rider, outfit the bike accordingly and ride the darn thing. No bike lasts forever, no product is available forever. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by illcomm33 View Post
    Hope everyone is well.

I was wondering if there is a general consensus amongst you pro's on the movement towards 44mm headtubes on mountain bikes.

Does it still make sense to even offer an 1 1/8 headtube for mountain bikes?

Reason is I am going to be building (#16!) a 650b singlespeed for a 5'2", 106lb, female rider and felt that based on her proportions that a 44mm might be overkill (IMO).

The problem I am now seeing is the availability of straight 1 1/8 suspension forks and don't want to build a frame where she might have a difficult time finding a replacement fork down the road.

Thanks for your insights.

Travis
    AFAIK only White Bros is currently offering a 650B suspension fork with a straight steer tube (good forks).

With a tapered steerer you need to be sure the head tube is long enough so the top of the headepset does not bottom out on the taper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

straight steer tubes are no longer supported by the industry. same thing goes for open dropout forks(aka standard qr). At this point it's kinda a dick move to sell either product to a customer.

The 44mm headtubes are dreadfully heavy.
    think of it this way though, at least with a zs44 top you can get the bars nice and low...

Solid has their 34/44 headtubes in stock now-

It's a much lighter, simpler option, but ain't no way yer going to be able to get the headtube short enough for the application at hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    If the reason to build only with the next "standard" is used and taken to it's extreme then we'd never be building anything.
    I suppose I should just say this: 1.5" / 44mm in Mountain Bikes IS the standard moving forward. 1 1/8" will certainly do the job.

I feel part of a builders job is to recognize what the standard is, and will be for a while to come. In this case, the mountain bike world has more fork options right now and will only grow into the future with regards to a 1.5/44mm tapered steerers while options in the 1 1/8" segment are dwindling. Parts break and suspension forks certainly have their fair share of problems that can be unexpected. Balance that with all the other aspects of the build. That's my reasoning.

But to come full circle and since this is a 650b/27.5" build, Fox's 2014 dealer fork pricing list for 650b/27.5" only list 1.5 Taper for all fork options. 100mm. 120mm. 140mm. 160mm. There are no production 1.125" steerer forks in the 650b / 27.5" option. Just an FYI on Fox if you choose to build with a 1.125" head tube. 2014 Fox is not available as an option to your client.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    If the reason to build only with the next "standard" is used and taken to it's extreme then we'd never be building anything.
    tapered isn't the next standard, it's the current standard. I think that if you are going for a rigid, non-suspension corrected fork, then a 1 1/8" steerer would be ok. I have to admit I am not a big fan of suspension corrected forks, I have heard rumors that there are builders that refuse to build them.
    I do hate the look of 44mm head tubes on a steel bike, it's an abomination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only reason I use 1 1/8" anymore is for a dedicated rigid bike. Otherwise what Kris is saying is right. You'll be hardpressed to find a decent straight steerer suspension fork in years to come.
    -Adam Sklar
    Sklar Bikes LLC
    http://sklarbikes.com
    FaceSpace
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fwiw, the tru temper headtube looks a little less massive visually than the Paragon tube, its lighter and you can cut it to length rather then use a stock size. Cane creek and Chris King also make headsets that will allow the 28.6 steerer to work with the 44mm standard and convert to 1.5 with only a change of lower cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    AFAIK only White Bros is currently offering a 650B suspension fork with a straight steer tube (good forks).
    Thank you everyone for the ideas/comments. The fork we discussed using was an X-Fusion Velvet (650b) (they are also excellent forks) but did discuss WB as well. I actually reached out to both manufactures to get thoughts on the topic before posting here. X-Fusion said that they hardly stock anything 1 1/8 anymore (yet they would be able to get me an 1 1/8 Velvet); however, WB said they would still offer lower travel forks (80/100) in the 1 1/8 for years to come. After reading an interesting story on the Serotta warranty situation I am suspect on any guarantees for the future!

It's really ridiculous how much time I have spent debating with myself on what is the "right" thing to do but with all your help I really feel more confident assisting my client with the decision to go 44mm. (she is going to think I am crazy since I spent an entire email demonstrating why I felt the 1 1/8 would be better FOR HER). :)

Thanks all.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by illcomm33 View Post
    Thank you everyone for the ideas/comments. The fork we discussed using was an X-Fusion Velvet (650b) (they are also excellent forks) but did discuss WB as well. I actually reached out to both manufactures to get thoughts on the topic before posting here. X-Fusion said that they hardly stock anything 1 1/8 anymore (yet they would be able to get me an 1 1/8 Velvet); however, WB said they would still offer lower travel forks (80/100) in the 1 1/8 for years to come. After reading an interesting story on the Serotta warranty situation I am suspect on any guarantees for the future!

It's really ridiculous how much time I have spent debating with myself on what is the "right" thing to do but with all your help I really feel more confident assisting my client with the decision to go 44mm. (she is going to think I am crazy since I spent an entire email demonstrating why I felt the 1 1/8 would be better FOR HER). :)

Thanks all.
    Travis
    Just had a bike built for the wife this summer and we went through the same process, back and forth a couple times. Ultimately we decided given how much and the type of terrain she rides (not a lot, and pretty tame), that going 1.125 with a top of the line brand new fork would be good for the next 5-10 years. At that point there may or may not be some used forks available, but ultimately her tastes will likely have changed by then anyways and the current bike will become a backup or "house" bike for visitors.

You can rationalize it both ways, but I think I'd agree with Kris et al at this point and go with 44mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know about ya'll but I'm super pumped to find out someone makes a 34/44 head tube. I've been searching for one for a while and inquired with a few suppliers about them. Aesthetically, I like it much much better, and the paragon head tubes are heavy. Probably can't get it short enough for many mountain bikes, but it will be great on CX and road bikes.

Now I need to order a few and get some bikes built.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That TT 44mm headtube certainly is less massive looking than the Paragon, cut to fit too: MHT44-S cheaper/lighter.
    Paragon has started making tapered 33/36 headtubes, www.paragonmachineworks.com - HT2057TaperedSteelHeadtube115mmLong
    No, not 33/44 yet:(
    Thanks for the link on 33/44 however
    cheers
    andy walker