User Tag List

Thread: plastic spacers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default plastic spacers

I'm looking for a source for those plastic spacer doohickeys that go between the DO of frame when shipping. Preferably in Europe. I need about 150 per year so scrounging from the LBS is not an option.
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: plastic spacers

Peter at Ceeway sells them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rolled up box card board doesn't do it for you? Really, I do a lot of bike boxing for shipping and find that recycled plastic fork braces/spacers often don't hold well, their ability to fit tightly in the drop out gets lost after the first use sometimes. If you're shipping frames new are much better looking. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I'll contact Peter. I didn't see them on his website.

Rolled up card board doesn't look all that professional and takes time to make that I don't have. You're right about the used ones not holding well but I tape them in place anyway. Still, the main reasons for them are because my shipper recommends using them and they make a better impression on the customer.
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's probably overkill but I use threaded rod combined with washers and nuts. Considering the total expense of building and painting a frame I think the $1.35 is worth it. I'd never use foam or some of the other solutions I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the plastic inserts shatter immediately into several pieces if the box actually gets squished

I've seen a few people use big wooden dowels with washers under the screws, feels good man

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to put this into perspective, this is a direct result of the only issue I've had with shipping damage after over 300 shipped frames. I had a rear triangle crushed on a frame I sent back to a customer. The carrier first refused paying on the insurance saying the packaging wasn't sufficient. The box was too weak and there was no spacer between the dropouts. With the help of the subcontractor I work with, we got it solved but I want to avoid this in the future. That these things don't make the slightest difference is easily proved by looking at the lateral dropout test done by Velotech. They load the rear triangle in 100 N steps up to 1000 N. In order to crack the CS and SS you would therefore need to apply at least 100 kg to the side of the box. Those plastic things will hold up to 10 kg at best but they still want them. Same thing as the lawyer tabs on forks.

That aside, I want to avoid anything that looks like it was DIYed. I don't want to spend time that I could be repairing frames with cutting dowels or cardboard rolls to length.

Parallel to this, I'm also working with my box supplier to make inner trays to hold the BB and DOs in place.
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    the plastic inserts shatter immediately into several pieces if the box actually gets squished

I've seen a few people use big wooden dowels with washers under the screws, feels good man
    kevin wraps the centres with a proprietry layup , stops them shattering .....seriously ....deadly serious

ps wheres my patent clerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kevin,

that sounds interesting. If possible, let me know about the results or maybe I could join to increase the numbers if that would help.

Greetings from Geldersheim,
    Georg

Quote Originally Posted by datas_brother View Post

Parallel to this, I'm also working with my box supplier to make inner trays to hold the BB and DOs in place.
    GEBLA PRECISION FRAMES - Engineered to perform - Designed to fit - Handmade to order
    Georg Blaschke
    http://www.gebla.de
    http://www.georgblaschkebikes.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking for axle top-hats a while ago and a few suggestions were made for suppliers:

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...xes-21203.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The spacers sell by peter :

Sundries
    nicolas noblet
    www.noblecycles.be

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I missed that Ceeway page. But,that spacer only works for road frames. MTB spacing is too big (135 mm). I'll contact Peter next week as soon as I get the other things I need from him written down.

Georg, I'll send you the details (or post them here) as soon as I have them.

Mike, don't tempt me. I just might make my own after all!
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles