I have considered writing a Smoked Out since I read some of the first ones. But then I thought, why jump through hoops for something like this? Why does it really matter? What will it accomplish? Why does anyone care about what I do? Hopefully the answers to these questions will unfold in my narrative.

I started building frames in 2008; however, my interest in bicycles began over 20 years ago working as bike mechanic in my local bike shop during high school. I have always wanted to build bikes, but like so many of us, where do you begin? How do you find time, money, skills?

In 2008, I was living in Seattle, working as a bike mechanic at Recycled Cycles. I was finally at a point in my life where I thought I could afford the UBI frame building course, so I enrolled in the brazing course. I came out of the course with a fillet brazed road frame, which I commuted on in Seattle just about every day and is still my current road bike. I named it the “Lithium Flyer,” because it brought happiness to me while riding - and because of rumors of lithium traces in the Ashland water supply.

I really learned a lot at the UBI course and really debated over the TIG course vs. the brazing course. I chose brazing because of the low start up equipment costs, and I think because of an old love of lugged frames. If I had it over to do again, I would have gone the TIG route. Before I took the course I did a track dropout conversion on an old Trek frame. It took forever, but gave me a lot of good experience to reflect on in the class.

I lived in Seattle for 3 years, and then fled the city as soon as my wife finished her graduate program. While in Seattle, I had the pleasure and opportunity to work for Steve Hampsten (in all my free time). I mainly built up complete bikes for Steve, but also built a few brazed racks. I learned a lot working for Steve, and in a lot of ways, wished I was still working for him.

After completing the UBI course, I started building right away. I built quite a few bikes for friends and some for actual customers. I displayed at the Oregon Manifest one fall, and got meet a lot of talented builders. I was sandwiched between Winter Bicycles and Ahrens and felt like I was a little under-gunned. It was a great experience overall, but very financially taxing.

I truly do enjoy building frames and when I hear folks say, “Follow your Dreams.” Well, this is my dream. I wished it was as easy as that. I have built around two dozen bikes, repaired many steel frames, and built a few racks along the way. I haven’t made a dime and have spent a lot of money on materials and tooling. I enjoy building different types of bikes, and always welcome a challenge. (Probably part of my profitability issue)

I currently live in Whitefish, MT and still build when given the opportunity. I have only built one frame since the birth of my son a year ago. I sometimes wonder how many full time builders have children and how they stay afloat if they do. When you have a child, your priorities change quite a bit. I love my son, and consider him my best creation to date.

I have had many jobs over the years and often get harassed about the number and diversity. Past jobs include, but not limited to- building rifle barrels, fixing espresso machines, manufacturing composting toilets, carpentry, landscaping, or trail work. I currently work for Fish, Wildlife, and Parks in the maintenance shop. I get to do quite a lot of fabrication in this position and spend a lot of time with the MIG welder. Those who MIG weld know that it is less than glamorous. It’s just a way to join metal and build stuff.

I get a number of inquiries from people over the internet, but still have not sold a bike truly over the internet. After all, why would anyone buy a bike from Boedie Cycles in Whitefish, MT.? I feel like I always get the totally bizarre requests, like chariots or a full suspension bike for a 5 year old. I have had one lugged MTB frame show signs of cracking at the TT/HT lug. Luckily I caught it tuning up the bike and replaced the head tube at no cost for my friend.

I have built bikes to display in bike shops in NC and NYC. No new business resulted from this. I decided to start doing bike repairs out of my shop last summer to help generate the funds to purchase a TIG welder. It almost worked, but ended up using the money to get me through the slow season at work. I have really struggled with paint finishes. The finish of the bike is so important. I have tried many finishers, but never am very happy with the results. I have a frame at Spectrum currently that I am pretty hopeful for. They really are good and produce beautiful frames. The only draw back is the long wait. When I get it back, it will be two months from when I sent it in. I was using a local “hot rod” finisher who did beautiful work. The only problem was the durability of the paint. I feel like I have not found the magical relationship with a finisher yet.

One saying that has always rung true for me is, ”You get out of it what you put into it.” Whenever I put the energy into the business, I usually get something out of it. It’s just finding the time to do it. Building bikes is not the hard part for me- it’s the mental game of self worth that goes along with it and not being too critical on myself.

I feel like I represent the majority of frame builders in the country. I am passionate about building bikes, but just too afraid (or maybe the word is realistic) to quit my full time job, which provides for my family. I considered selling all my equipment this last winter, but that thought makes me truly sad. I recognize that I am in this for the long haul, and just need to keep building a name.

Thank you for reading,

Chris Boedeker
Boedie Cycles