Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: carry-on luggage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default carry-on luggage

I use my Rudy Project duffel bag that I won at a race raffle several years ago as my carry-on.

Its use as both duties is wearing out.

Any suggestions for a carry-on wheeled thingy and/or duffel with carry-on size and cycling duties ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: carry-on luggage

Quote Originally Posted by nocondorfx View Post
    I use my Rudy Project duffel bag that I won at a race raffle several years ago as my carry-on.

Its use as both duties is wearing out.

Any suggestions for a carry-on wheeled thingy and/or duffel with carry-on size and cycling duties ?
    Patagonia MLC Patagonia MLC® Maximum Legal Carry-On Bag

Pack carefully and I was able to fit two weeks of clothing for a cycling vacation. Great bag and it is the max. legal carry on size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a SRAM duffel that works great. Cycling Kit Duffle Bag | SRAM

I like the various compartments that are well thought out for separating wet kit, shoes, etc. from the stuff you want to keep clean in the middle. It holds a pretty decent amount of stuff. I'm not sure if they'll replace it under warranty when it breaks, though.*

*Preemptive "SRAM stuff always breaks" joke. I like SRAM and this bag is solid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

north face base camp duffel size medium. Used mine for 11 years now and has been all over the US and to Europe and still looks 90% brand new. Probably just a bit bigger than legal if its stuffed but I can get what I need packed in about 75% of its capacity and that lets it squish and conform to the size/shape of the bins nicely. Never haven't been able to fit it in or been hassled about it by airport staff.

The Patagonia duffels are nice too. I would also look at Osprey's offerings- hard to beat their warranty and service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

Pack carefully and I was able to fit two weeks of clothing for a cycling vacation. Great bag and it is the max. legal carry on size.
    I have this too, and highly recommend it, provided you understand it's soft sided and everything tends to sink towards the bottom of the bag.
    If you use it for business travel just get a packing folder (Eagle Creek?) to keep your dress clothes unwrinkled.

The best thing about it is no one forces you to gate-check it like all the wheelie bags- a major bonus when I was traveling about 30% of my workdays.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've been extremely pleased with the couple of Osprey bags i own. the one i travel most with is similar to the one in the pic below. well made, good beefy zippers. the back has a hidden zipped compartment housing backpack straps, and i have thrown the pack on my back when traveling between modes of transport. it's a great bag. not that i think i'll need to, but i bought it from REI, and their pretty bulletproof return policy ensures i'll pretty much have a bag for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeesh we could be related. We use E-Bags packing cubes.
    Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I have this too, and highly recommend it, provided you understand it's soft sided and everything tends to sink towards the bottom of the bag.
    If you use it for business travel just get a packing folder (Eagle Creek?) to keep your dress clothes unwrinkled.

The best thing about it is no one forces you to gate-check it like all the wheelie bags- a major bonus when I was traveling about 30% of my workdays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RedOxx Air Boss is preferable to MLC for "tactical soft-sided carry-on." I use that or my Filson Pullman (243). The Pullman is frankly not quite as practical as it's heavier and one has to be careful not to snag one's suits in the zipper, but I still find I use it more often, mostly for week-long trips to Asia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

I have an earlier generation of that bag that is still going strong after about 15 years of abuse. As an apartment dweller I appreciate that it folds up small for storage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second the Osprey bags. Find one that fits your capacity needs and rock on.
    With that said, I bought my wife a Rimowa Salsa. When received, I was a bit underwhelmed, but after using it on a recent business trip, I'm looking to order one for myself. It's expensive and phenomenal. This thing has a ton of small features that at first glance seem erroneous, but when using it you'll find out just why they included them. Example, the mess sleeve interior pockets have zippers on either side. When items shift you can easily reach them as needed. Also, the larger diameter wheels roll over most anything and do not make that annoying clunk-clunk sound when rolling over grout lines. Quality piece. Matte black looks good too and will take abuse graciously.
    Attachment 60942

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a Pelican 1510. You'll look super bad-ass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very very happy MLC user here. The older ones were better sized, and that's what I have. I agree, stuff sinks to the bottom, but when I'm running through the airport to make a connection and not worrying about wheeling a bag down the halls, I don't mind the sinking one bit.

Plus, the fact that it packs up small for storage is a great bonus. What a waste, having hard sided luggage taking up valuable bike storage space in my basement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a Filson duffel bag since I was in high school (early 1990s), it is still my go-to travel bag. Can't beat it.

Duffle Bags - Duffel Bags - Rolling Duffle Bags | Filson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for the MLC if you're looking for a lightweight shoulder bag. I'm always amazed at how much fits, and I'm never stressed about finding overhead space, even on puddle jumpers.

I also use a Thule roller bag that I got from the team last year. It rolls (duh), stows well and, carries a good bit more than the MLC. It's a smaller version of these bubbas:

image-2400771752.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife, daughter and I each got an LL Bean rolling suitcase before a two-week tour of Israel. We each chose the model that appealed the most. There's a wide selection here: Durable L.L.Bean Luggage and Backpacks

It's been my go-to bag ever since. Large enough to cram two weeks' of traveling essentials; plenty for a long weekend with multiple events/dress-codes; or even helmet/shoes/lycra/leather cycling paraphernalia.

It's gone all over the US and Europe with me. Not fancy, but very well made and robust. And if it doesn't hold up, hey, it's LL Bean.

There it is about to go to Baller's:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If only Pac Designs would made also travel bags.

Actually, if only Pac Desings would still make bags! Hope they'll start again
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How well does the MLC work as a backpack? Lotsa backs have shoulder straps, there are very few I'd actually want to wear that way for an extended period of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Very very happy MLC user here. The older ones were better sized, and that's what I have. I agree, stuff sinks to the bottom, but when I'm running through the airport to make a connection and not worrying about wheeling a bag down the halls, I don't mind the sinking one bit.

Plus, the fact that it packs up small for storage is a great bonus. What a waste, having hard sided luggage taking up valuable bike storage space in my basement.
    yup. i've had one of these for about 8 years. it's nice to have for the 2 times i fly a year

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baileyworks bag works very well for running through airports. I'd buy one in every size. You can sling even the giant one bandoleer style and really cinch it down so you can run pell mell without taking out the family from Iowa who thinks Terminal 5 at Heathrow is really neat and fun and aren't looking where they are going. God bless 'em. Hey, it is neat and fun, but I screwed up my connection.

Patagonia makes bags that last forever, and that's not an exaggeration. I like their wheelie MLC, but we have two really old ones when they covered them in rubberized fabric. I think those things have been almost around the world. Never replaced a thing. I can fit enough for 4 nights 5 days, more if it is summer.

I sent Patagonia a 10 year old slingbag when the zipper disintegrated, and they put a new one in, spruced up the bag and set it back to me with a handwritten note that said something like, "I could tell you really liked this bag, so we've fixed it up for you. Hope you like it. No charge." I still have the bag. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BaileyWorks backpacks, in both sizes, are outstanding backpacks for riding a bike and less for walking.

The MLC is a pretty decent backpack for walking. I'd give it a solid 8 of 10 just because no waist belt to get weight off your shoulders. That said I walked the width of NYC twice with a backpack full of booze in street shoes and it was comfortable.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast