Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: carry-on luggage

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    What size are the bags, Cody?
    16" wide, 6.5" deep, and 13" tall. It's big enough that i've done some light touring out of mine on the Brompton. I think it is a really good size. Any bigger and I think you should move to a backpack to better distribute the weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    Thanks, but my fickle heart is set on a Mystery Ranch ASAP:

A bit smaller, a bit more technical in terms of load bearing. Won't happen any time soon - I spent that money on a crib.
    I am a weak, weak human. And VS is a terrible influence. The revival of this thread has had me thinking of this (ASAP) pack all week. An upcoming trip, and only a roll top Ortlieb at my disposal, was enough motivation to get me to open my wallet. WTF am I thinking paying this for a backpack? I'm totally psyched for it to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've put a thread up on the classifieds for anyone interested in a messenger bag. LINK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old thread revival.

I purchased a Patagonia Blackhole MLC <https://www.patagonia.com/product/black-hole-mlc-briefcase-backpack-45-liters/49306.html> a year ago. I have travelled the world with it mostly for work. For pleasure travel it is perfect, big enough for more than a week of clothes and still carryon. But for work trips, I don't like it since it is a backpack and it is a pain to carry your work bag (aka laptop bag and headphone bag for the plane) and it on your back. Although for two night trips to customers I just take my 12.9" ipad in a small Tom Bihn bag and put it inside the MLC. Although the backpack is so great for going around on buses and trains, or walking around a city. Just not the carrying a laptop bag situation.

But I switched to the roller Blackhole 40L wheelie bag <https://www.patagonia.com/product/black-hole-wheeled-duffel-bag-40-liters/49378.html> because of the laptop thing just for work trips that are 3 days or more.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for Pata MLC. Mine's been bombproof. I have had it 10 years now and it's got some scuffs and the plastic grip toggles tied to the zipper tabs have broken but still does everything it did when it first started out. Perfect bag. I have lived out of it for a whole summer before. Only downside is it swallows anything so I feel like I over-pack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife has been enjoying travel with my Fjalraven Splitback. They offer a couple of sizes, and the smallest seems the best for carry on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe in a "do it all" bag, what's good for an airport is not very good for cycling with.

When I want to travel light, on foot or cycling short distances, I've modified a Terranova Laser20 that weights very little (250gr, half of a pound) and can be rolled in the size of a bottle of water.
    Or if I need to carry big stuff on short distances on the bike, the PAC Ultimate is hard to beat for toughness and capacity of load.
    During travels that include walking and flights, I use a Ferrino Tikkal40, which is very similar to the Patagonia MLC: square shape that opens up as clamshell, one large zippered compartment and opposite are two other zippered ones (each would fit an helmet or a pair of shoes). I find this ideal to carry what's needed on a weekend trip with the bike, so the bike case is the only checked-in item.

As far a cycling long distances with a rucksack, it's not for me, thanks. I may use the smallest Camelback-type bag, it litterally has only space for the 2lt water bladder plus two inner tubes and one banana.
    Nor I do overstuff the bike with four panniers, ideally one saddle bag and one bar bag are enough for most trips.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a certified bag-addict this thread still brings a smile to my face.

Still love my GR1 (I've had 2 now)
    Still collecting old Dana Design bags - my vintage Bomb Packs are still favorites.

Anyone here running a Evergoods CPL24?

Edit: I'm gonna be in the market for a new messenger bag soon. I still use my 18 year old custom Timbuk2 every day but it's about worn out.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    Edit: I'm gonna be in the market for a new messenger bag soon. I still use my 18 year old custom Timbuk2 every day but it's about worn out.
    My baileyworks bags won't die. I only stopped using them because I got a filson bag as a gift and feel like I need to use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have owned an eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible for a few years now. You can carry it with any one of the handles, use the shoulder strap, or the hide away backpack straps. It is check-on legal (in the non-extended mode). Most importantly, all the pockets/sections can be locked.

It has been the perfect carry-on for me and the wife when we go on longer vacations. We use 1 and can each fit a change of clothes, pajamas, dopp kits, travel books, magazines, small electronics (it does have a laptop section if needed), and anything else we do not want in our checked bag. Our luggage has been lost/delayed so many times when we travel to Europe it is nice to have the essentials and a change of clothes with us on the plane in the hopes our checked bag will catch up with us before we need to go and buy clothes for our vacation/trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    "...As a certified bag-addict this thread still brings a smile to my face..."
    +1 Same here.
    I similarly love different bags for different loads under various conditions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234