User Tag List

Thread: Costumes - Halloween or Otherwise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Costumes - Halloween or Otherwise

'Tis the Season! My 3-year-old daughter wanted to be a bat (among other things) this Halloween so I took it upon myself to whip up a little costume for her. When I was a kid we always made our own costumes and to me, it was part of the fun of Halloween. This is a simple, crudely constructed (but durable!) riff on what you can buy pre-made from the store but it's still unique. I had a ton of fun picking out the materials and figuring out how to put my rudimentary sewing skills to use (I didn't make the base sweatshirt or hat though - I just made the stuff that went on 'em). I'll have to get a shot of my daughter actually wearing it but my crap phone camera has a hard time dealing with a happily and constantly flapping bat in indoor/low light conditions. :-) I'm hoping that my daughter knows that the costume was made with love and that she'll respect the idea that making your own stuff (when you can), even if it's not as polished as store bought, can be a fun and worthwhile experience.

Anybody else make their kid's costume/s or something for themselves this Halloween?

photo-155.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Costumes - Halloween or Otherwise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome! Is that a character your son is into or something you guys created together? How'd you make it? Either way, nice job! I would have loved to wear that when I was a kid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is going to be the mystery character Shadowind from the Lego Chima series, which according to him is better than Starwars. I think he just says that because he thinks I am obsessed with Starwars. I'll admit it's better than the Darth Vader costume I had at his age. It's made with a bunch of cardboard held together with masking tape, and then painted. The eyes are some sort of blue transparant plastic. There is a matching spray-painted black turtleneck.

He actually was a bat last year, now that I think about it. I take no credit for making any of this but it is a lot of fun. My wife made the bat, and his uncle (in the background) made the mask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lego is not what it was when I was a kid! The mask is really cool though and I'll bet that it gets plenty of use post-holiday as well.

So here's another Halloween-related item I made. Every yard needs spiders, right (although we have no shortage of them in the NW)? I made a few of these guys out of trash bags, zip-ties, a little spray paint, and a few coat hangers. Oh yeah, some stick-on jewels and white nail polish (touch up paint for my remaining IF), too.

I know that this way below the general amazingness of what a lot of the talented folks on the forum craft but unfortunately, I'm short in the talent department so this is all I've got!

photo-155.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the full get-up, ready for action last night:
    halloween1.jpghalloween2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost finished with this- animatronic Iron Man suit with opening helmet (wireless), shoulder rockets, hip pods, light up eyes/chest/repulsors, moving back flaps, sound effects,etc. Really wanted to get it done by Halloween but just couldn't pull it off in time.

Did some work on this Predator suit earlier this year- wrote up a build tutorial here: Building a replica Predator costume

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honus View Post

[/URL]
    I always thought it would be cool to have a Predator helmet when out motorcycle riding...
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honus you are very talented and apparently have a knack for constructing a proper codpiece

Bringing Back the Codpiece | The Art of Manliness

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

photo-31.jpgOur son Otto is the Frog
    -Eric Z
    Eric S. Zimmerman
    Zimmerman Bicycle works
    and Cinematography
    zimmermancamera@gmail
    check out the work here
    www.ericzimmerman.me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my students came to class last night dressed up as me.
    That is: white t-shirt, jeans, belt with lots of grommets and he drew my tattoo on his arm with sharpie.
    Oddly, not the first time it's been done.

Hrm, I teach photo but I neglected to take a picture. Probably says something about me.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homemade costumes were my family tradition, too, and I'm having fun making them for my daughter now. No sewing yet, but a glue gun works wonders. Poetic license on the dog design caused some to think she was a rabbit or other woodland creature. But *she* knew she was a dog.

IMG_7432.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kids are already planning for next Halloween.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm just reporting the story. I think it's just appalling. This mother actually did dress her 7-yr old child as the KKK this past Halloween. She even gets an interview with NBC after neighbors complained about it and she justifies her decision to dress her son up like that because she says the KKK does a lot of good and that whites should be segregated from black people and other minorities.

Story here...
    Mother supports son's decision to wear Klansman Halloween costume | MSNBC

Jessica-Black-dressed-child-as-kkk-member.jpg