Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Monitoring Heart Rate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Monitoring Heart Rate

A gear question related to training. I have a Garmin GPS with heart monitor strap. I'm looking to add some running into my fitness plan. I'd like to use the Garmin strap but pair it to a wrist device and not have to buy another strap-watch combo since I hate having two sets of straps etc. Can I pair the strap with any ANT device (Timex makes 'em) or does it have to be a Garmin? Has anyone done this: paired the strap to a watch?

I'm not adverse to buying an inexpensive Garmin HR watch if it has to be Garmin. Garmin tech support is useless, they told me "Buy a watch and see if it works." I imagine I cant be the first one to want to do this. All I need is the watch function and HR, all the GPS stuff is fluff in the form of a watch.

Thanks in advance

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Monitoring Heart Rate

I think the answer is "yes" but I'm pretty sure you'll find lots of good insights about it here. I apologize in advance for sending readers to a tri site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link. I poked around other sites and couldn't find any reliable info. I guess people just buy another watch & strap paint, but I'm not into having random bits laying around if I can use what I already have and just buy the watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the same strap for my Edge 500 and my Forerunner 305.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a Garmin strap and with my Edge 500 and an ancient Polar watch. Used to use the Polar strap for both. YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just needs to be an ant + device.
    I use my Garmin strap with my SRM.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're looking to cheaply retain the ability to upload the run files and these will be infrequent runs and/or short runs, you can buy a watch band kit for 20 bucks on amazon that you can mount your edge to. If you're running a lot and doing long runs, I'd imagine the bulk of the setup may be annoying (I know it'd bug me as an ex-runner). Or if any of your shorts have a rear pocket, you can throw the edge in there.

If you dont care about uploading, then I would just pick up a cheap run/hr watch. You can get them for ~$50 I think and the run watches usually have more relevant functions that are easier to use.

Or, you can do like I do and just mount my edge to my baby jogger. You get the added benefit of resistance training