Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: pens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: pens

Semi-related question for this thread, apols if its too off topic. Headed to closing on a new place on Friday. What pen did y'all bring to sign yourself into hock with the bank for the forseeable future when homebuying time came?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Semi-related question for this thread, apols if its too off topic. Headed to closing on a new place on Friday. What pen did y'all bring to sign yourself into hock with the bank for the forseeable future when homebuying time came?
    Congratulations Joe! Staying in Berkeley?

When I bought my first house, my head was filled with so many thoughts, and pure excitement, I never even considered what I would sign the final documents with. Whatever my lawyer handed me I suppose. I was a very young man then though, crazy times.

Fast forward to when I just bought my current house. In a post-covid world here in NYC land, everything was signed electronically, only had to show up at my lawyer's office to verify it was me, no pens involved sadly.

Enjoy the day, and best of luck with your new place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd house
    3rd house

Marriage docs

Mechanics license

And every vehicle since my white Tacoma

Has been signed for with my Cartier Diabolo. It’s also been on every plane ride.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats. I would still bring a pen because even though most forms are electronic these days, there is always something that requires a "wet signature".

Marriage license: Cross ATX because it came in the same light blue shade that matched my wedding tie.

1st house and refinance: ACME Blueprint rollerball because we thought it was a good "house theme".

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Congratulations Joe! Staying in Berkeley?

When I bought my first house, my head was filled with so many thoughts, and pure excitement, I never even considered what I would sign the final documents with. Whatever my lawyer handed me I suppose. I was a very young man then though, crazy times.

Fast forward to when I just bought my current house. In a post-covid world here in NYC land, everything was signed electronically, only had to show up at my lawyer's office to verify it was me, no pens involved sadly.

Enjoy the day, and best of luck with your new place.
    Thanks. Just down the road a ways in Oakland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're also closing on a property on Friday. I picked the perfect pen. A Sailor 1911S Maki-e with a beautiful dark blue ink. The attorney just told us not to come in and we'll do everything over docusign. I'm glad to not have to drive to his office, but man I really wanted to sign an important document with that pen.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some kind of click roller ball our lawyer handed me.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    signed for with my Cartier Diabolo.
    If it's the fountain pen version I hope you filled it with your own blood...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This showed up yesterday: Tombow Zoom 505 Ballpoint Pen

It should be a great daily to leave around and use when I can't find any of my "good" pens. It takes a Parker G2 refill so I can continue to experiment with many new kinds of ink refills (i.e. ballpoint/oil, ballpoint/low viscosity, hybrid, and gel). I really like the size, shape, and especially the rubber grip on this type of Tombow pen.

I owned the Tombow Ultra Rollerball Pen for many years but got sick and tired of the leaky and proprietary refills that were difficult to find. I finally gave up and got rid of it so hopefully the ballpoint model will give me less grief (assuming I use good Parker G2 refills).

picture credit = https://www.tombow.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stumbled across this article and thought of putting it in this thread in case anyone here might be interested and hadn’t seen it…

https://wapo.st/3LDyQ0i
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve had a 149 Diplomat since about 1982, or 1983. Like new. Instead of a drawer full of dried-out Bic pens, I just keep the Diplomat. Smooth, and relaxing to use it. Makes my cabin high in the mountains a little more civilized.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking as someone with arthritis, I think fountain pens are the best option when hands get arthritic. And the best for cursive versus script lettering. With a nice ink, a squiggle becomes a multi-purpose letter and can look nicely elided instead of awkwardly missed.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Speaking as someone with arthritis, I think fountain pens are the best option when hands get arthritic. And the best for cursive versus script lettering. With a nice ink, a squiggle becomes a multi-purpose letter and can look nicely elided instead of awkwardly missed.
    Sensa, the world's most comfortable pen.

My father, a rheumatologist and avid fountain user for as long as I remember (as well as many other rheumatologists in his group), often recommend these to people with Arthritis. They come in ballpoint, rollerball, and fountain pen styles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do love a fancy plume.

Seeing as I have a French name....I love a sport that has a big race in France....I also have a French Pen: Recife. Nothing fancy, but out of the way and nifty.

I'm boring in that the Mont Blanc, that I took out of my mom's pen collection cup 35 years ago, is my fav. I cracked the barrel holding it while stapling something at work. I'm too lazy to fix it.
    De-conditioned!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavi View Post

I'm boring in that the Mont Blanc, that I took out of my mom's pen collection cup 35 years ago, is my fav. I cracked the barrel holding it while stapling something at work. I'm too lazy to fix it.
    I did something similar with one of mine recently. The repairs are actually inexpensive when compared to the current pen prices. I dropped it off at a MontBlanc store, I had it back in less than 4 weeks, and I think I paid about $100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    It takes a Parker G2 refill so I can continue to experiment with many new kinds of ink refills (i.e. ballpoint/oil, ballpoint/low viscosity, hybrid, and gel).
    So far my favorite G2 refill has been the Schneider Gelion (aka Gelion+) 0.7mm (that's the ball size, not the width of the line of ink) Way better than any actual Parker refiil I've ever found, including the Quink gel, which was a big disappointment, even though some folks seem to like it.

I have a blue one in my blue body Rotring 600, and when the black Ohto Flash Dry Gel refill I have in the silver body Rotring 600 runs out I'll get a black Gelion for it.

Worth trying if you're looking for alternatives:

https://www.thepencompany.com/en-us/...39-gel-refill/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    So far my favorite G2 refill has been the Schneider Gelion (aka Gelion+) 0.7mm (that's the ball size, not the width of the line of ink) Way better than any actual Parker refiil I've ever found, including the Quink gel, which was a big disappointment, even though some folks seem to like it.

I have a blue one in my blue body Rotring 600, and when the black Ohto Flash Dry Gel refill I have in the silver body Rotring 600 runs out I'll get a black Gelion for it.

Worth trying if you're looking for alternatives:

https://www.thepencompany.com/en-us/...39-gel-refill/
    Quink has been OK for me... when it works. Sometimes they seem to randomly die, particularly the blue variety. I'll try the Gelion+; seems to be readily available. Thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has been about four years since @dgaddis posted about how much he likes the Tactile Turn pens and I finally got around to getting some.

They posted a BF code and I could not resist. Sorry for the stock pics but I could not take anything better than them. Both are the "short" version which take the Parker G2 (not to be confused with the Pilot G2) refills. As much as I like Pilot Gel refills, I have too many Parker style refill pens and finally found a few Parker refills (gel type included) that I really like to write with.

Tactile Turn Bolt Aluminum (orange anodization)

Tactile Turn Bolt Stainless Steel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that orange pretty accurate, as far as color is concerned? Love that.

Did you get an of the gel refills? I generally don't care for ballpoint, but wonder if the gel might help with that....
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I happen to have also picked up one of the orange, and the stock photo color is very true to life. It's bright AF, which is why I wanted one (easy to spot if I set it down while out surveying).

FWIW I use the 'Short' size because I find it fits in the pocket better. But I had bad luck with every Parker style refill I tried, so I got the springs for the regular size bolt (made for the Pilot G2) and I trim the cartridge down to fit. Basically every Pilot G2 cartridge has about 1/4" of 'empty' space at the end, so you can trim them down to Parker G2 length without any issue.

Quick update on mine. Since the last post I've added a DLC titanium (a limited run they did when testing various DLC shops) and the orange aluminum.

I think titanium is really the way to go, if you're going to carry one around, it's the right balance of high strength vs low weight. The copper is cool looking, but it's heavy, and soft. I've dropped it twice, once it landed on the cap (go back a page to see the flat spot that resulted form that drop) and the 2nd time it landed on the tip. The body of the pen just behind the tip is really thin, and with copper being both soft and heavy, the force from that 2nd drop pushed the tip back into that thin wall and deformed it juuuuuust a smidge. Just enough to feel where the body and tip meet. It'll be interesting to see how the aluminum holds up to drops. It's lighter than copper, and the strength is similar I believe.

EDIT to add - my plain jane titanium model is still holding up awesome. I've even used it as a prybar to get a key unstuck from a lock once.

My orange one w/the trimmed down refill vs an uncut refill - both Pilot G2s. The pen is brighter in real life than the phone photo shows here. The stock photo is more accurate.

Tiny flat spot from dropping the copper pen tip-down.

If you look closely on the 'bottom' side of the pen at the tip->body joint you can see the body flared out juuuuust a bit. If you'd never handled one before you wouldn't notice it, but, if you know how perfect that joint usually is, you can notice that tiny bit of a lip.

Here you can see just how thin the body of the pen is.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 12-19-2023 at 12:00 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?