Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: pens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: pens

That's a nice one for sure. Great color. Pilot Namiki makes excellent nibs no matter the price range.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered a set of three Zebra F-701 pens from Amazon the other day for misc EDC use (don't have it yet, but it's the one in the upper pic) then because the ink cartridge that comes with it is not great shakes I ordered several other Zebra and Uni Jetstream refills that can be modified to fit it. I got those from JetPens, and while there I couldn't resist getting a Fisher Backpacker "Space" pen. That one's also a candidate for EDC use. The 701 is a long-time favorite for hard-use and lot of folks have tweaked it in a number of different ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I ordered a set of three Zebra F-701 pens from Amazon the other day for misc EDC use (don't have it yet, but it's the one in the upper pic) then because the ink cartridge that comes with it is not great shakes I ordered several other Zebra and Uni Jetstream refills that can be modified to fit it. I got those from JetPens, and while there I couldn't resist getting a Fisher Backpacker "Space" pen. That one's also a candidate for EDC use. The 701 is a long-time favorite for hard-use and lot of folks have tweaked it in a number of different ways.

So...I too read about the 701 and the way people hack them. I modified one to fit a Parker G2 cartridge - you've got to pull the plug off the end of the cartridge, and file down the back side of the pen's tip to keep the cartridge from hitting when you push the clicker. When you pull the back plug off the cartridge do NOT ovalize it, AT ALL. It's a tiiiiiight fit in the Zebra, and it works, but not if you ovalize the cartridge. At least, it works on mine. If you don't shorten the tip of the pen the cartridge will either not extend/retract, or it'll stick when you push the button. Oh, and you have to remove the plastic piece inside the tip.

What pissed me off, I got the new 'all-metal' version, the packaging even says 'all metal inside and out' and that effin' thing is FULL of plastic from tip to clicker. There's a plastic piece inside the tip, the clicker mechanism itself is plastic, and there's a plastic tube inside the body. The collar around the clicker and the tip both thread into the plastic tube.

Mostly disassembled

The plastic tube that's bonded inside the tube.

Plastic clicker mechanism

Modified tip to work w/a Parker cartridge. Stock on the left, shortened on the right. FYI that metal is cheap and soft as hell, use a hand file, not a power tool.

After filing down the back side of the tip you need to open up the interior a bit too, I used a cone-shaped attachment on a Dremel.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 02-01-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a cheap Lamy Safari when I'm "writing".... works well, has been refilled numerous times with my reusable syringe cartridge. Nib is fine. Noodler's ink looks good on paper. About $35 for pen, syringe cartridge, and ink, all told. I have had it three or four years. Not quite daily use, but I am getting my money's worth if I think about buying a new three pack of such and suches every six months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rotring makes a nice ballpoint with very good ink called the Rapid Pro. There is also a matching mechanical pencil conveniently retracts its point mechanism inside.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Dustin really an engineer or a CIA operative?
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Rotring makes a nice ballpoint with very good ink called the Rapid Pro. There is also a matching mechanical pencil conveniently retracts its point mechanism inside.

I've regularly used the mechanical pencil version of that (or a variant) for roughly 22 years. It still pretty much looks like new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 500 series mechanical pencil. It is great. I can't remember when I got it but at least 20 years ago. I was terrified of dropping it and breaking off the point, but one day I did actually drop it and the point stuck in the wood floor like a throwing dart. So no worries I guess. But I would like one where the point retracts into the body of the pencil.

Other pens I'd like to add to the collection:

Kaweco Lilliput fountain pen and a Kaweco Sport fountain pen - Lilliput is metal and the Sport is plastic or acetate, but both are cool easily carried pens that are made full size for writing by attaching the cap.

Spalding & Bros. aluminum pen set - I have the older translucent acetate set, which is nice and a fountain pen from the aluminum line (not the best nib) but this set is cool.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-01-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Oh, and you have to remove the plastic piece inside the tip.
    Neat project.

I think trimming or enlarging this part is going to be the extent of the mods I plan on doing. Nothing as serious as your full-blown surgery. If necessary I'll also do super-easy stuff like cutting down a refill to get the length to match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Other pens I'd like to add to the collection:

Kaweco Lilliput fountain pen and a Kaweco Sport fountain pen - Lilliput is metal and the Sport is plastic or acetate, but both are cool easily carried pens that are made full size for writing by attaching the cap.
    I've been intrigued by the Kaweco, but when I discovered the Pilot Kakuno at 1/2 to 1/3 the price, I kinda forgot about it. very similar on paper and the nib is the same as the low-mid level pilots, which is to say solid, and a little fine for a M nominal, and I don't mind if I lose it at around 11 bucks. I'm sure I mentioned it above (no clip so pocket friendly) and it posts like the little Kaweco's...

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Kakuno-...ds=kakuno&th=1

61hNCze8MML._SL1500_.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Neat project.

I think trimming or enlarging this part is going to be the extent of the mods I plan on doing. Nothing as serious as your full-blown surgery. If necessary I'll also do super-easy stuff like cutting down a refill to get the length to match.
    FYI, my 'hack' only seems to work on the older style w/the plastic ring around the clicker. The "all-metal" version is different somehow and the Parker cartridge won't go far enough into the pen.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    You guys are jerks.

Machine Era Original pen - all brass, no moving parts, nicely machined and should patina nicely with some use. Nice and heavy, which I like. Takes a Pilot G2 gel cartridge. Put a blue cartridge in it so notes on drawings will stand out a bit more. It was on sale, $30 shipped.

I love this pen, but I lost mine. I thought I would find it when I recently moved, but no sign yet. I may have to buy another. I hate that.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father - a Chemistry Professor for years - always had 2 or 3 of these Koh-i-Noor Rapidigraphs in his shirt pocket with a small notebook. Usually one with blue, one with black and one with red ink. His shirts often had ink stains, and there were often sessions spent disassembling things and soaking them in an ultrasonic cleaner and trying to get the hair-thin wire back into the nib without putting a kink in it. They were finicky about the type of ink used, and he was often putting water-proof ink in the pens to make transparencies to go on the overhead projector for his lectures. So you know, failure was inevitable. Did he use the right ink? Did he wear a pocket protector? That's my dad!

Also if you ever come upon an excellent vintage fountain pen of some value, but when you try to write with it, the pen snags and gouges the paper, the nib may have worn (and worn out) into the hand angle of the previous owner. The tips can be out of alignment or even one worn shorter than the other. The nib can be rebuilt almost completely. Well worth it if the pen is a nice one.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-04-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you have some spare cash (quite a lot) consider Namiki in Japan. The bodies are made from Japanese lacquer, and the Maki-e models are highly decorated by hand. They are made to order, and I found the nibs come up a bit finer than expected, so if you like rich handwriting you need to go large.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slwrnu View Post
    if you have some spare cash (quite a lot) consider Namiki in Japan. The bodies are made from Japanese lacquer, and the Maki-e models are highly decorated by hand. They are made to order, and I found the nibs come up a bit finer than expected, so if you like rich handwriting you need to go large.
    standard japanese nib sizing

need to order one larger (at least) than your preferred Euro nib

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI there's a deal on the Machine Era brass pen on Massdrop right now :: Massdrop: Community-Driven Commerce
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I'd mention my latest "favorite thing" discovery - the Schmidt 8127 rollerball cartridge.

All I can say is "wow" - it just about rivals a fountain pen in intensity and line quality. If you think you like gels like the Pilot G2, you owe it to try the 8127. If the 8127 is a bit too wide for you (advertised at 0.7 mm) you can always go with the 8126, which is a teeny bit narrower.

My 8127 came in a Retro 51 Tornado I recently got. See lower link for what Jet Pens offers there. I got the Joker, as a fun "Friday pen" but there are plenty of other neat designs.

Note that the 8127 comes in two lengths, the long "S" and short "P."

Schmidt Capless Refills

Jet Pens - Retro 51

I decided that I like the 8127 so much I ordered a few more refills (given how much ink they put down I don't think they're going to last very long) and I'm going to put one in my Karas Render K, which should be a very easy swap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not everyday you see an article about a pen store in the paper:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.74036c20bb47

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a Tactile Turn Glider on sale a little while back, the titanium version. I like it. The first one they sent me was jacked up tho, stainless steel body w/a titanium end cap and some burrs on the bolt. Quick e-mail swap and a few days later I had a replacement that was perfect and I sent back the 1st one.

Machine Era is updating their brass 'original' pen w/a clip...I'm getting in on the kickstarter for it. Now it won't roll off the table haha

Machine Era | Markup

Last edited by dgaddis; 06-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's nice. I have bronze and brass (and Ti and aluminum) Schon Dsgn pens and really love the way the bronze developed a patina. The brass hasn't as much, though I don't use it as often.