Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: pens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: pens

I am not a lefty but still hold pens in a strange way so fountain pens have never worked for me which is why I like rollerballs (and sometimes ballpoints). I blame my father for starting me down this rabbit hole and my younger brother for enabling me all these years (he collects vintage fountain pens). Many from "my collection" have sentimental value even if they are not worth that much:

Montblanc Meisterstück pencil - bordeaux (HS graduation gift from my father - no longer made)
    Montblanc Meisterstück ballpoint - bordeaux (HS graduation gift from my father - no longer made)
    Montblanc Meisterstück rollerball - bordeaux (purchased on my honeymoon - no longer made)

Parker Sonnet rollerball - sterling silver

Fisher bullet - chrome (was EDC but kept loosing it - eventually it shows up)

Fisher X750 - chrome (was EDC but kept loosing it - eventually it shows up)

Tombow Zoom 505 rollerball - grey (EDC for now)

Sherpa pen cover - Mr. Pinstripe Black (EDC for sharpie marker - can also be used with uniball vision)

Cross ATX rollerball - celeste blue (from wedding - used to sign marriage license)

Acme blueprint roller (from mortgage signing on our first house)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love my Sherpa. like....all caps LOVE.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    i love my Sherpa. like....all caps LOVE.
    My wife just stole mine when she realized that she could put her favorite disposable, uniball vision, into the Sherpa. I am tempted to get this one as a replacement since I work in the technology field:

Then there is the Sherpa Ultimate (which can use more types of pens such as the Uni-Ball Jetstream ballpoint):

And, I did not even know until today that they make a pen cover for those annoying Bic pens - :

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a suggestion for something nice I can use at work and will be locked up or taken home at night:

-New (not dealing with used stuff on eBay)
    -Under $100
    -Does not need to fit in pocket so full size pens are fine
    -Metal, Resin, plastic, whatever
    -Must be professional looking
    -Must use Parker size gel ballpoint refill
    -Bonus points if it can also use Parker sized rollerball refills (I have heard that there might be a few roller pens that can actually use either roller or ballpoint parker refill)
    -Will be used for taking notes (yes, I am a technologist who likes to use pen and paper for notes when in meetings)

What do you suggest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Looking for a suggestion for something nice I can use at work and will be locked up or taken home at night:

-Under $100
    -Bonus points if it can also use Parker sized rollerball refills (I have heard that there might be a few roller pens that can actually use either roller or ballpoint parker refill)
    -Will be used for taking notes (yes, I am a technologist who likes to use pen and paper for notes when in meetings)

What do you suggest?
    My favorite non-boutique pen web site: JetPens.com - Japanese Pens and Stationery

Here are some options: (I picked the refill then clicked on "show compatible")

Compatible with Ohto C-35P Ceramic Rollerball Pen Refill - .5 mm - Blue Black - JetPens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post

-Under $100

What do you suggest?
    ACME Studio, INC. | ACME Designer Writing Tools, Pens, Pencils, Business Card Cases, Money Clips, Key Rings, Leather and Other Accessories for Today's Contemporary Lifestyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I leave this in my backpack and have for years. It looks great and is extremely durable. The Acme refils are common enough to find that I have not explored parker / montblanc / etc compatibility.

They have lots of great options. Here are two other favorites ...

Last edited by gt6267a; 05-30-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: fixing images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had this made for me. Uses a Schneider Topball refill. Wood is a Buckeye Burl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by dgaddis; 06-01-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The big question for me is this: when the last of the 4-pack of Pilot Varsity's I got a while back runs out of ink what do I replace it with?

Right now I'm thinking staying low-end and getting either a Pilot Metropolitan or a Lamy Safari (or maybe one of each). Gradually working my way up the food chain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the low end Japanese pens are amazing. I love lamy stuff, but considering you can get several pilot metropolitans for the price of one they are hard to argue with.

one thing of note, Japanese pens generally run a size smaller in nib width versus their European counterparts. IE if you like medium nibs with pilot, buy a western fine.

ldamelio is online now emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for Karas - whatever floats your boat in their armamentarium. Great quality/value/function/worksmanship and exactly fits OP's parameters.

Machined Pens

Got turned onto them here on the Salon a couple of years ago; definitely in line with our collective ethos. You won't be disappointed.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to love the Lamy Safari but have not used them in years. I tried the ballpoint and rollerball at a store yesterday but they seemed too light and small to me (I usually like larger barrels made of metal for the heavier weight). I found the "Lamy Al-Star", the aluminium metal version of the Safari, to be great. It had nice weight, felt good in the hand, and the rollerball wrote very well with a smooth flow of ink.

And the "ocean blue" color was especially nice looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    The big question for me is this: when the last of the 4-pack of Pilot Varsity's I got a while back runs out of ink what do I replace it with?

Right now I'm thinking staying low-end and getting either a Pilot Metropolitan or a Lamy Safari (or maybe one of each). Gradually working my way up the food chain...
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    the low end Japanese pens are amazing. I love lamy stuff, but considering you can get several pilot metropolitans for the price of one they are hard to argue with.

one thing of note, Japanese pens generally run a size smaller in nib width versus their European counterparts. IE if you like medium nibs with pilot, buy a western fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tamitio | Graf von Faber-Castell

If you are willing to break $100, this pen is lovely. I have it in black and enjoyed it as my "home desk" pen. ultimately, it was replaced by a gvfc classic that i received as a present. one heck of a nice present that i use only at home while the acme rides in the backpack to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    Tamitio | Graf von Faber-Castell

If you are willing to break $100, this pen is lovely. I have it in black and enjoyed it as my "home desk" pen. ultimately, it was replaced by a gvfc classic that i received as a present. one heck of a nice present that i use only at home while the acme rides in the backpack to work.
    graf makes amazing nibs

don't underestimate their steel nibs at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Everybody by now should know that I'm a cheap bastard; somewhat by nature, somewhat by necessity. But I don't like cheap junk. There are SO many options under $50 (heck, under $25-30) that punch way above their price point, that it is worth exploring. And somewhat like razor blade brands working better and worse in different razor heads, the whole question of ink comes into play in a major way. There are wet writers and dry ones; wet inks and stingy inks; and they all change with the paper used; and the fine vs broad points; and writing styles.

I would like, but have never owned, a Lamy--Safaris are cheap-ish, and they make luxury-level stuff. I'm a big fan of Japanese modern pens and vintage US stuff. Euro-brands are good too, but command a decent price; I guess they are the Campy of pens. good, even brilliant, maybe finicky. I'm sure I've argued these same point above in this thread, so won't re-hash, but if you like Pilot, you should check out the next level offerings from school pens to professional models, all under $75, most under $20, and the stuff over that level is even nicer. Gold nibs are the bomb if you can swing one or two. Esterbrook are American classics, utterly collectible, fun, and still cheap. Same for Sheaffer; you can still score gold nibs from them for cheap. Um, Skyline, by Eversharp, still a bargain; I want a Parker, preferably 51; no longer cheap, but huge reputation, probably deserved.

oh, these are all fountain pens. unless professional obligations force otherwise, it's the way to go. you can get a lifetime supply of fantastic ink for less than a cheap dinner. and I'll recommend again, if you dig the Pilot Varsity, a cheap pen you can beat the crap out of and not cry if you lose:
    pilot kakuno Amazon.com: Pilot Kakuno Fine-Nib Fountain Pen, Black Body Orange Cap Body (FKA-1SR-OF): Office Products

I think it is the Japanese cheap Safari. no changing nibs though, just a workhorse Asian Medium-Fine that will write all day; a little skratchy since it is pretty fine/sharp, but great for grocery lists, and a nice contrast to wet, broad pens, which you should also get. And an Esterbrook or 3 in various nibs; they have a deserved cult following but still easy to find under $25 depending on nib--all interchangeable easily à la Safari and made in USA, like Sheaffer, which honestly are the smoothest pens out there for the price. You can probably still get a gold nib for $50 or less with some patience, and it is well worth it; same for the Eversharp models

I have a fine Esterbrook that can squeeze 5 letters in 5 mm. it is super fine. And a fat, broad Sheaffer tip that goes broad Italic. Variety is the spice of life. Pics for illustration.
    esterbrook.jpg
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best bang for the buck in the fountain pen world is still the lamy 2000

great gold nibs, hooded design and a piston filler

buy right and you can do it well under 200$ usd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few additions (to the non collection)...

Lamy 2000 rollerball for me. I tried the stainless version but it was too heavy so I got the makrolon.

Lamy Al-Star rollerball and ballpoint in ocean blue for my wife (I am sick of her using cheap bic ballpoints and cheap pilot rollers, chewing on them, and leaving them around the apartment):

And, I got them from my LPS (local pen shop) which was more than willing to match other pen shop's online pricing but not crazy inline-only discounters. In this case, I really do appreciate the LPS because I got to try so many different hings before I bought something I really like and works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my father died back in 2012, I inherited this Sheaffer Targa 1020 Imperial brass fountain pen with a 14k/585 nib, complete with matching brass case and cartridge holder. I believe I purchased it in 1986 at Bromfield Pen in Boston. They're actually still in business (and still on Bromfield Street) so I might swing by to get this pen back in working order. I don't think my father used the pen all that much and after a year or two it got filed away.