Default Re: pens

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT - just get a Tactile Turn pen. Choose your length to suit whatever refill you want (I like the short length and use a trimmed down Pilot G2 cartridge), pick your mechanism (bolt action is my choice) and pick your material. Titanium, copper, bronze, or ball out on Zircomium. Use the code BOLT20 for $20 off.

Here's my 'short' titanium bolt action. It lives in my pocket most days.

The Schon Design pens are undoubtedly great looking, but anything with a cap is kind of a PITA for getting it out to jot something down quick and then stow it away again. The bolt action is deployed/retracted almost as effortlessly as clicking a mouse.

The texture on the Tactile Turn pens feels like a Thomson seatpost FWIW.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D.G. doesn't the pocket heat cause that pen to leak? I dig the pen. We are not worthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. At least the Pilot cartridges don't leak, can't speak to any others.

And when it's retracted the tip sits way up inside the pen, no worries with it coming into contact with anything (like the fabric of your pocket).
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't read enough of this thread but Jetpens.com has all the Japanese fetish stationary and instruments like Hobonichi, Kokuyo, and Campus. Pilot fountain pens are the leak-free work perfectly cheap option. I have a Montblanc from the 80s that is a beautiful thing but doesn't work half as well.
    Qui plume a, guerre a. Ce monde est un vaste temple dédié à la discorde.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like my Pelikan.

+1 on JetPens. I get lost there occasionally. One of these days I will complete my tour of their expansive catalog of options.

This pen is crazy. Top and pen body are machined so closely that removing the cover makes a pop & on return the pen body slowly slides itself into the cover. Plus it uses a Pilot Hi-Tec C refill - nice dark line, perfect ink. Looks like a cylindrical pen, but one side is flattened to prevent rolling.

BTW Pilot Iroshizuku fountain pen ink is pretty amazing too.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This pen is crazy. Top and pen body are machined so closely that removing the cover makes a pop & on return the pen body slowly slides itself into the cover. Plus it uses a Pilot Hi-Tec C refill - nice dark line, perfect ink. Looks like a cylindrical pen, but one side is flattened to prevent rolling.
    Oh dear god that's nice...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anything (anything???) that has the feel, the flow, and fits in the hand like a Diplomat? Too late for me... I drank the Mont Blanc Kool-Aid years ago (no regrets) but wondering if there is anything so nice at 1/10th the cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxspeedwell View Post
    Is there anything (anything???) that has the feel, the flow, and fits in the hand like a Diplomat? Too late for me... I drank the Mont Blanc Kool-Aid years ago (no regrets) but wondering if there is anything so nice at 1/10th the cost.
    I'm a Sailor Realo user and that's the bar for me. I've always wanted to try their KOP (King of Pens) model because it's huge and I love larger pens, but it's $800+

MikeS
    Hood River, Oregon
    Mike Scammon
    Hood River, Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post

The Schon Design pens are undoubtedly great looking, but anything with a cap is kind of a PITA for getting it out to jot something down quick and then stow it away again.
    It makes for a super compact pen that fits great in pants pockets, though, and is full size when you need it to be. And I really like the action of screwing and unscrewing (the pen, that is) and the sound it makes when you slide it in and out (the pen, that is). Also gets peoples' attention (or maybe it is just the RS logo they gawk at).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like my Pelikan.

+1 on JetPens. I get lost there occasionally. One of these days I will complete my tour of their expansive catalog of options.

BTW Pilot Iroshizuku fountain pen ink is pretty amazing too.
    Oh. my. I just want to feel that pen.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For junk pens that get lost and lay about the Muiji is a winner https://www.muji.us/products/oil-ink...pen-0-7mm-s444 They are interesting, requiring some break in. Once the ink is flowing they are very smooth and inexpensive eg. I won't cry when they go missing.

Those fancy pens you boys keep posting are for when someone gives me a proper roll top desk ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I use a TWSBI daily. Also have a Cartier Diabolo that sees action. Fountain vs Roller Ball. Depends on the day and mood. TWSBI fountain helps me chill out and write better. Cartier is bullet proof.
    Since this post I've killed two TWSBIs and a Lamy something or other. Cartier Diabolo is still going strong. Can't believe this pen is now 12yrs old.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Sheaffer guy myself, although I do have a Parker Duofold as well.

sheaffer.jpg

L-R,
    • Parker Dufold Centennial, black
    • Sheaffer Connaisseur, Levenger Seas blue
    • Balance II, black
    • Balance II, tortoise. (the acrylic was really brittle and the portion of the cap below the rings broke away)
    • Targa, stainless steel
    • Connaisseur, black

The black Connaisseur is my daily driver, the Duofold gets very little use these days

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since this post I've killed two TWSBIs and a Lamy something or other. Cartier Diabolo is still going strong. Can't believe this pen is now 12yrs old.
    How'd you kill them? Busted nibs, feeds, pistons?

I've been generally leaning into the Japanese brands lately, particularly Sailor. That said, I recently got an Edison with a Jowo #6 1.1mm stub and it quickly became one of my favorites to write with. I have terrible handwriting and the 1.1 stub manages to make my scribbles look cool.
    Last edited by Matthew Strongin; 05-03-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post

I've been generally leaning into the Japanese brands lately, particularly Sailor. That said, I recently got an Edison with a Jowo #6 1.1mm stub and it quickly became one of my favorites to write with. I have terrible handwriting and the 1.1 stub manages to make my scribbles look cool.
    On the TWSBIs, various parts of the body just kept cracking. As I'm looking at it now, more crack have developed. On the Lamy, the nib. Really like the Lamy, but really don't want to be concerned about nibs failing. Maybe it's a combo of lefty writing and lower tier nibs? I don't know. I'd by a roller ball Lamy Safari, though.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I have killed 2 Lamy Al-Star rollerballs during the past year. The plastic piece inside the cap (which keeps the cap on when closed) or between the metal barrel and plastic piece (you hold with your hand) wear out over time. I asked for parts and a few independent shops said they cannot get the part (or it is not worth their time) and the Lamy store said they will not sell it to consumers. So, 2 more Lamy's Al-Star pens out of commission, broken up into the individual parts, and then tossed into the recycling bin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it’s not haute enough, but I’ve been using Rotring stuff for years…. 600 series pens, 600 and 800 pencils. Prefer the 800 pencil. I think I still have the original pens from years ago, use them every day. I’ve lost a couple of the pencils, but have never broken one. Bombproof. Good weight. Good texture. Parker Quink gel cartridges in the pens… Rotring leads in the pencils.