Thread: pens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: pens

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    That's nice. I have bronze and brass (and Ti and aluminum) Schon Dsgn pens and really love the way the bronze developed a patina. The brass hasn't as much, though I don't use it as often.
    Yeah, the brass just sorta darkens up over time, and not drastically (at least mine hasn't yet). Mine when it was new vs recently ::

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the rollerball version delivered yesterday just in time for 7/4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactile Turn Movers & Shakers on Drop/Massdrop now. $20 off for the titanium and copper models. I have a stainless Shaker, the one that takes a Parker style refill. I'm getting a copper Mover, the longer version that takes a Pilot G2 cartridge, which I prefer. If anyone is interested in a stainless Shaker....make me a reasonable offer. It's in like new condition.

Here's the drop :: Drop: Passions lead here (formerly Massdrop)

Last edited by dgaddis; 07-18-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactile Turn has a new bolt action pen out that's the bombdiggidy. I got the full size (fits a Pilot G2 cartridge) in bronze, it's developing a patina pretty quick.

New.

4 days.

11 Days.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article in The Washington Post today about a guy making artisanal fountain pen ink in his shed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...608_story.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a total pen nerd and Schon fanboy, I couldn't help but pick up one of his new Pocket Six fountain pens. It's, not surprisingly, excellent and I've enjoyed the odd looks at work when people realize I'm jotting down my notes with a fountain pen.

"I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a total pen nerd and Schon fanboy, I couldn't help but pick up one of his new Pocket Six fountain pens. It's, not surprisingly, excellent and I've enjoyed the odd looks at work when people realize I'm jotting down my notes with a fountain pen.
    Do you suggest aluminium or stainless steel for a first (ballpoint) pen from Schon?

His watches are interesting but I'm not crazy about 18mm strap width.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been carrying a short Tactile Turn bolt action pen around for a few months now. If you want a pocket clip ballpoint/rollerball pen to carry around, it's hard to beat IMO. The clip is beefy and not the usual flimsy pen clip, and it keeps it in place, and it's easy to just quickly shove the pen in your pocket and the clip catches like it should. The bolt action is super fast to deploy (no cap to deal with). All titanium is fairly light. He makes three lengths, all available in copper, bronze, zirconium, and titanium.
    Long = fits a Pilot G2 cartridge
    Short = fits a Parker style cartridge
    Mini = fits a mini Pilot G2 cartridge

Mine is the short, and I cut a Pilot G2 cartridge down to fit in it, and use a different spring. For fitting in a pocket I like the shorter length of the short (the bronze version posted earlier stays at my desk), but I haven't had good luck with Parker and Parker style cartridges. Pilot cartridges always work, and there's lots of sizes and colors to choose from. The mini size is new, and probably even better for carry, but I don't think there's as many color/size options for Pilot G2 mini cartridges, and you can't trim a normal one down to size without spilling the ink.

Bolt Action Pens – Tactile Turn
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Do you suggest aluminium or stainless steel for a first (ballpoint) pen from Schon?

His watches are interesting but I'm not crazy about 18mm strap width.
    Depends on what kind of weight you like in a pen. I like a pen with heft and end up using my copper and titanium pens more than any of the others. The aluminum are very light, so if you like a pen with very little weight, that's the way to go. Otherwise, stainless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

nice. I like those little pocket pens. which nib do they use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    nice. I like those little pocket pens. which nib do they use?
    Bock #6 . This is my first fountain pen in about 15 years and I had totally forgotten how nicely they write. This one has become my go to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chatting to a buddy last night had me reminiscing about my classic silver Rotring Newton ballpoint that I accidentally left with an ex-colleague when I left an old job. When I looked into it later that evening I realised that the value of the original Newtons has gone through the roof.

Suddenly I was buying up a replacement for my ballpoint (I found a good one at a good price on eBay). When that arrives my set of Newtons (Trio, Rollerball, Ballpoint, Tech Pencil) will be worth circa US$1500!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to have less invested but I haven't found anything comparable to my Diplomat. Had it since about 1983. It does work best with dedicated papers. Lined notebook paper just won't do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listen up pen eliteistas I could use your advice. (not a joke) I got a free medium'ish rollerball pen with a tire pressure monitoring kit and it's wonderful. Best toss away pen I've ever had.

Suppose you admit to liking a few inexpensive pens and help a slob like me out? Glove up and hold your breath ;)

I have looked at some specs. and it appears that .7 or .8 is what I've got.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Listen up pen eliteistas I could use your advice. (not a joke) I got a free medium'ish rollerball pen with a tire pressure monitoring kit and it's wonderful. Best toss away pen I've ever had.

Suppose you admit to liking a few inexpensive pens and help a slob like me out? Glove up and hold your breath ;)

Not to sound like a total fanboi (even though I am), Schon Dsgn will have some rollerball converters for his Pocket6 fountain pen body soon. He's been showing them on Instagram. So if you're patient, you could get a super classy and compact pen to fulfill your rollerball dreams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muji makes the absolute best gel ink roller ball stick pens invented since forever. I have fancy fountain pens and lovely cartridge roller ball pens from France, Germany and Angleterre, but when it comes to writing I reach for one of these. Nice black ink without skip. They come in 0.5 and 0.7, in translucent plastic so you can see when you are running low on ink.

https://www.muji.us/store/stationery/pen-pencils.html
    Last edited by j44ke; 09-11-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Muji makes the absolute best gel ink roller ball stick pens invented since forever. I have fancy fountain pens and lovely cartridge roller ball pens from France, Germany and Angleterre, but when it comes to writing I reach for one of these. Nice black ink without skip. They come in 0.5 and 0.7, in translucent plastic so you can see when you are running low on ink.

https://www.muji.us/store/stationery/pen-pencils.html
    Thus? >>> https://www.muji.us/store/rubber-gri...718444434.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to sound like a total fanboi (even though I am), Schon Dsgn will have some rollerball converters for his Pocket6 fountain pen body soon. He's been showing them on Instagram. So if you're patient, you could get a super classy and compact pen to fulfill your rollerball dreams.
    Matt you are my style-guide no doubt. Thing is YOU will cry when that pen goes missing behind a couch or the dog nibbles on it. Disposable pens are my destiny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt you are my style-guide no doubt. Thing is YOU will cry when that pen goes missing behind a couch or the dog nibbles on it. Disposable pens are my destiny.
    Faceted copper. You won't even notice the dog nibbles and you'll never want to put it down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate you a little. Mom used to practice Calligraphy. Notes from her were a delight.