Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cycle friendly pants?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: cycle friendly pants?

I don't see how any of you are wearing, let alone RIDING in, skinny jeans. Don't you have any THIGHS?
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    I don't see how any of you are wearing, let alone RIDING in, skinny jeans. Don't you have any THIGHS?
    If those jeans are levi's commuter style, they have a good deal of stretch. I have thighs and they fit comfortably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by derailer View Post
    However, the Ultralights are not suitable for cycling because the material is so light and thin that after a few short rides around town mine started pilling and thinning on the seat area.
    I've had my pair for three years and many thousands of miles, yes they pill on the inside but they don't wear through

I've never had any breathability problems whatsoever with their "OG" (normalweight softshell) pants. The workwear/dungaree ones (brushed cordura) are def warmer but that's mostly because of the minimal stretch. I've never sweated out of any of them.

They're pretty silly expensive but nobody else on the market is coming anywhere near the quality and fit of their cut

Plus they can practice some self-restraint in their design — the pockets aren't zippered or at jaunty angles and they aren't loaded up with stupid doodads like pen holders, u-lock coozies, and reflective flags

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am 6 feet tall and 150lbs so no, not really. Another 10lbs and I might run into thigh and calf tightness with 510's but 511's and commuters (which are based on the 511) have a decent bit of room IMO. The skinny dickies are about as skinny as 511's, which is to say, slim, but most cyclists should fit in them unless you're a track sprinter named Hans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do the 511 Levi commuter jeans fit compared to standard 511's? Are they the same?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ineff View Post
    How do the 511 Levi commuter jeans fit compared to standard 511's? Are they the same?
    Pretty similar cut, but they're much stretchier. Mine fit a little tighter in the areas that would otherwise hang loosely (like below the calves), but they're also much more comfortable around the thighs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    I've had my pair for three years and many thousands of miles, yes they pill on the inside but they don't wear through
    I just went back and checked, and, whaddaya know, mine are pilling on the inside, not the outside. I stand corrected. Mea culpa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all good info. If I don't do a "real ride" in kit before work, I usually just throw on my pair of Rapha knickers for the 3 mile ride in and then change into more office-appropriate stuff. I used to ride in my khakis (Gap, usually), but they were getting destroyed. It's a complete hassle with me hiding behind boxes in an unused office trying to put on some pants before a coworker walks in on me in my skivvies. If I could just ride in and remove that additional changing step, then all the better.

The Swrve stuff I have heard so many wonderful things about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A hygiene question for those commuting in regular pants: Are you wearing chamois shorts underneath? Regardless of undergarment choice, is there a "funk" issue with commuting in pants and then working in them the rest of the day?

I commute in my regular riding kit. I have access to a shower in my office but lately there are meetings going on in the room adjacent to it and-----well, people don't necessarily want to see my lycra-clad buttocks first thing in the morning! Same story while running errands into and out of shops.

So I was thinking of the Outlier pants, +/- chamois short, ride into work, shower and either put on my work outfit or put the pants back on. But I don't want to walk around in stinky pants the rest of the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    A hygiene question for those commuting in regular pants: Are you wearing chamois shorts underneath? Regardless of undergarment choice, is there a "funk" issue with commuting in pants and then working in them the rest of the day?

I commute in my regular riding kit. I have access to a shower in my office but lately there are meetings going on in the room adjacent to it and-----well, people don't necessarily want to see my lycra-clad buttocks first thing in the morning! Same story while running errands into and out of shops.

So I was thinking of the Outlier pants, +/- chamois short, ride into work, shower and either put on my work outfit or put the pants back on. But I don't want to walk around in stinky pants the rest of the day.
    How long is your commute. The funk factor depends on how long your on the bike for and how much you are sweating. Some of the Outlier pants dry pretty quick and don't get too funky depending on what you are wearing underneath. You are riding in the cold right (since it's getting cold in NY) - do you already wear tights?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I don't want to walk around in stinky pants the rest of the day.
    LOL I'll wear the same Outlier pants all week

Commuting in a chamois seems ridiculous to me. You don't have to sprint like you're on a sunday jock ride!

Backing off a little solves most of the problem, the rest of which get taken care of by just wearing non-cotton normal underwear — I really like Men's AIRism | UNIQLO
    Fred Blasdel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wash my Dickies every two weeks whether they need it or not. They usually don't, but then, my commute is only 30-60 minutes and the weather hasn't been that warm this year. Never stinky.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks. My commute is 20 miles round trip. Issue is moot for the time being because I could not control my impulses and bought a pair of nice Assos tights today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

REI boxer briefs are very comfortable and dry quickly. They're $20 a pair but the REI branded stuff goes on sale often. They are made in USA to boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@miwuksurfer - first post, first line. Other 'pants'.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    I have enough English and Scottish friends that I just say trousers.

God help me the time I talked about needing to go get some suspenders...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--well, people don't necessarily want to see my lycra-clad buttocks first thing in the morning! Same story while running errands into and out of shops.
    I'd say this is not your problem. There will always be people making fun of cyclist wearing lycra because they feel bad about being to lazy to move their fat ass or not comfortable with their unassumed homosexuality. Well they can go on therapy if it is really a concern.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this happened today. i swear they're not skinnies, they're "slim & straight." my thighs are definitely not skinny jean friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    Sorry for the thread drift; I was reponding to Bobonli's post about chamois vs skivvies for the commute.

As far as trousers, I have a couple pairs of Swerv, Club Ride and Prana but my favorite are Stonemastergear.com
    They are designed for rock climbing but work great for cycling, are relatively affordable and made in USA.
    Last edited by miwuksurfer; 11-17-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Grammare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I bought a pair of Swrve winter soft-shell pants. Very comfy except for the fact that they are too tight and too short for my regular American guy proportions; definitely slimmer cut then my other trousers = too tight around hips and waist. Of course, I have the largest size they make, so they are going back.

What other companies make pants with this type of fabric suitable for cycling? I'm guessing it is either Scholler or something closely related to it. I've seen Mountain Hardware & Arcteryx branded Scholler stuff, but I'm not willing to pay $300 for a pair of pants.

Outlier, BTW, has the same size range as Swrve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12