Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

I still have a soft spot for the original Copilot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked up a Benchmade North Fork. I've been looking for a true gentleman's knife for a while, but can't find exactly what I've been looking for. On the other hand, I've just wanted a good Benchmade for a while. Had to make a return to REI and with the 20% discount now, I went with the impulse buy. Really a nice little blade. Good hand feel, nice action and a blade that is plenty sharp.

Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will not regret that Benchmade. I love that lock mechanism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If y'all haven't perused this site...well, you're welcome. All sorts of knives, pocket, hunting, kitchen, etc. This will get you to the assisted opening pocket knives :: Assisted Opening Knives - 1 to 3 of 571 results - Knife Center

Here's that Benchmade w/a cool little video :: Benchmade Hunt 1531-2 North Fork Folding Knife 2.97" S3V Blade, Stabilized Wood Handles - KnifeCenter
    Last edited by dgaddis; 11-13-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I had a meeting in Golden, CO which happens to be the home of Spyderco. Oh and they have a factory outlet... I now have a Spyderco Dragonfly which just might be the perfect knife. It is smaller than the Delica (on top) but you can still open it with one hand.
    Attachment 106217
    Attachment 106218
    -Joe
    this post inspired me to find my old "camping" knife. i picked this up at an outdoor store going out of business many years ago. a little research reveals a two bladed Spyderco Dyad Jr. Mine has a black handle and is probably from the original run in the late 90s. I never used it outside of camping. It was sharp as hell. cut myself something terrible hiking in the alps. swiss doctor who stitched me up hands shook like hell.

Spyderco Dyad Jr. - Spyderco, Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked up a Kershaw Leek. Got the all-black version with the stainless steel handle and frame lock, they also have some with anodized aluminum scale handles with a stainless liner and liner lock. I've got the basic steel blade, but they also offer several higher end steel options.

Made in the USA. Under $50 for this version (fancy versions with higher end steel and ornamental handles are $250+). Light weight and nice and thin, only 5/16" thick (not including the pocket clip). The Speed Safe assisted opening is great. Super sharp, very thin blade. Good for most normal 'EDC' type tasks like opening packages and stuff like that, but too thin if your 'EDC' work involves heavier use. Definitely don't want to pry at anything with the tip of the blade. Blade shape should make for really easy re-sharpening.

I got the all-black one not because it's "tactical" looking, but because it's less noticeable when carrying it in your pocket...which doesn't actually matter all that much, because ::

My complaint with the knife is the pocket clip, it's far from being a 'deep carry' clip. With it positioned for tip-up carry (which I prefer) there's over an inch of the knife sticking out above your pocket. I want something that isn't noticeable. I've had to go put a pocket knife in my car before when going to the movie theater because the ticket taker spotted it and decided it fell under the 'no weapons' policy. And I get it, but I'm not carrying a 3" blade pocket knife as a weapon, it's just a tool. But I do get it.

Anyhow, to that end, I've ordered a deep carry clip from Pops Custom Clips, which should make it so the only thing visible is the clip itself. I got the matte black. Will report back whenever it comes in.

I actually ordered three knives and three clips, one for myself, the other two are gifts.

Anyhow, I really like it, and assuming the aftermarket clip is well made it'll be my normal EDC pocket knife.

Last edited by dgaddis; 11-27-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    ...My complaint with the knife is the pocket clip, it's far from being a 'deep carry' clip...
    My buddy bought a Benchmade and decided he wanted a deep carry clip, so he called them up and they sent him some free of charge. Pretty great customer service, if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    My buddy bought a Benchmade and decided he wanted a deep carry clip, so he called them up and they sent him some free of charge. Pretty great customer service, if you ask me.
    I sent my Kershaw Scallion in for repair last week, and I put a note in the box asking for a deep carry clip for it, hopefully they'll send me one. Some of Kershaw's other knives have deep carry clips with the same bolt pattern. But the Leek, with the two-screws-at-a-weird-angle clip, I don't think they have any other styles in that bolt pattern.

With another knife of theirs I stripped one of the screw heads moving the clip, I filled out their form online and a few days later got an envelope with a handful of new screws. I was happy with that.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 12-03-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the titanium clip for the Leek. Fits perfect, does exactly what it’s suppsed to do. Super happy.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning here. Did not know this existed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great!

Got the titanium clip for the Leek. Fits perfect, does exactly what it’s suppsed to do. Super happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    Looks great!
    I'm pumped with it. I'm not really sure what the finish is, paint or powder, but it seems pretty hard and durable so we'll see how it holds up over time. And if it does get a little scratched up over time, I don't mind a little patina, so long as it doesn't come off in big flakes or something. And being ti, no worries about corrosion.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

”...Got the titanium clip for the Leek...”
    Virtually anything crafted out of titanium makes me happy. Great application here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just got this lovely Case knife in. i think it is easily defined as a gentleman's pocket knife. nicely made, and not so precious that it wont be used. i'll still carry my trusty small swiss army daily, but this will be my partner for more outdoorsy pursuits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blew some Amazon giftcards on a Benchmade Bugout. I think it's overpriced. The plastic feels cheap. But....I love it. It's soooo thin and light, disappears in your pocket, and more usable blade shape than the Leek IMO. The handle is long enough to get your whole hand around it, but the blade isn't scary long at 3.25". Blade is nice and thin, S30V steel. I also really like the Axis lock mechanism, opens and closes super fast and easy. There's at least one guy making aftermarket aluminum scales, and another who will soon(ish) be making them in a variety of materials, including carbon fiber....I'm probably gonna get a set of those when they're available. And I'm done buying knives at this point haha.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said I was done...I lied. Got my eye on a few more pocket knives... one came in yesterday. The Brad Zinker designed, We Knives produced, Massdrop distributed Dogtooth frame lock (buy one here). Titanium frame lock, steel lockbar insert that also doubles as an over travel stop. About 3.25" long compound grind blade made of S35VN steel, riding on caged bearings. Fit and finish is perfect on this thing, blade is perfectly centered, the machining is great - lock bar insert fits so tight into the lockbar it's kinda crazy, and the action is buttery smooth. Overall pocketed size is essentially the same as my Leek, but with a longer blade, and way better build quality and better steel in the blade, and better grip, and it's lighter. The handle has a bead blasted then anodized finish, so it looks good, but it's not slippery (the holes add grip as well). Super sharp out of the box, I didn't bother touching up the edge any, it's great.

Two minor complaints:
    1 - I like that the pocket clip is deep carry, but I wish the clip wasn't so shiny, I prefer something more discreet. A stonewash or acid etched finish would be better, IMO.
    2 - The detent was just too hard, and thanks to the aggressive jimping on the flipper tab it literally hurt to open the knife a few times in a row. I messed with it all night trying to break it in, but it didn't seem to get any better. This morning I took a cone-shaped Dremel grinding bit and put just the tiniest chamfer on the detent hole (you can barely see it), cleaned and lubed the bearings with Phil Tenacious oil, and now it's perfect. If you ever try this at home, be VERY careful!! Tiny changes make a big difference in how the knife works, and once material is removed, you can't put it back. Thankfully the blade steel is hard, and the grinding stone I used is fairly fine, so it's not chewing it up fast. Still, I only had it touching the steel for, maybe, one second.

Last edited by dgaddis; 03-13-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple recent additions. I've had the CRK Impinda for a couple months and forgot to post it. The Benchmade showed up today. Fortunately Dustin is out there making sure I don't feel too guilty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got this one a while back and forgot to post it here. I wish is it was thinner, but otherwise it's cool.

I'm done buying knives tho. 'Cause this Bugout is what ends up in my pocket 95% of the time. It's just perfect with the ti handles.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

230A6C14-BA1C-4743-B599-57BBA9BCE7E7.jpg

Full disclosure, I know only what I’ve learned here about EDC’s. My boss dropped this off the other day, said he had a few extras. Sharp as hell.

I don’t need another rabbit hole.

Mike

Just realized how terrible the picture is. It’s a SOG Trident.
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resurrecting this thread, because my wife just got me this. Titanium case, stainless blade. 3.5" blade. Has a locking tab and clip on other side. Can be opened with one hand. Nice!

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books