Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

I sometimes carry one of about 10 Case Russlock folders. But I much prefer the below for office work. It was hand made by a guatamalan named Ramon from a stack of leaf spring off a 49 Chevy.#americansteel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benchmade's Axis-Lock is second to none dot period.

One day I'm gonna finish up my Benchmade collection with a 310 - for 'church duty.'

*Believe it or not I got asked for my knife in church a couple of weeks ago. The only tool I use more frequently than my Benchmade 940 is my Felix LD01!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15055.jpg
    I'm a fairly loyal Benchmade fan as well. Their bone collector series seems to be a little more friendly to a white collar environment. I've carried a Presidio auto for two years and another model I can't remember before that for ~5+ years. I won't say I'd never buy another brand, but they will always be my first choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benchmade might have a majority stake with pedal pushers.
    AbbeyQueue - Tell me about the Benchmade auto knife. I've about given up on my Protec TR3. It is the king kong of automatics with an insanely well built knife, great steel but it has a bad habit of opening in my pocket and yeah I don't always clip it to my pocket. Carrying that TR3 loose is a hazard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    Benchmade's Axis-Lock is second to none dot period.

One day I'm gonna finish up my Benchmade collection with a 310 - for 'church duty.'

*Believe it or not I got asked for my knife in church a couple of weeks ago. The only tool I use more frequently than my Benchmade 940 is my Felix LD01!
    Which axis-lock would you recommend for an all purpose, smaller blade, every day carry sort of knife? My 910 stryker is going on 20 years old. The blade's a little long for my taste these days and it's probably time for an update. I'd say I got my money's worth at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a different question than what's been discussed already in several other EDC threads? At first I thought so, but it seems the convo has turned back toward the same line of discussion.

I'm ready to upgrade, and I'm looking for a single hand open/close, liner lock or frame lock, clip point or drop point, ~3" blade EDC. I'm torn between trying out a Kershaw Leek or going for the Benchmade 707. Difficult to decide without tactile evaluation, although I was recently able to hurriedly check each out in person at the Kittery Trading Post. Given the fact you can pick up a Leek on ebay for around $30, it's a pretty safe bet. Thinking I might just dive in to the Benchmade. The spring assist on the Kershaw is swell, as is the axis lock on the Benchmade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kershaw seems to have a loyal following, but I could never get excited about the blade shapes, handle ergos, or steel selection (for my tastes). They seem nice for what they are, but what they are doesn't appeal to me.

I'm also not sure I buy into assisted opening. If you want an auto, get an auto. I like the performance and reliability of a thumb stud, and I can open my pocket knives as fast and easily as I could any coil or leaf sprung auto I've owned (which is why the auto's have all moved on).

The 707 is an all around more appealing package to me. It's $100 more, and is pretty easily justified so long as your not planning to dump it over the boat in deep water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Benchmade (axis) lands in my pocket every weekday and for dress up.
    Chris Reeve for afterwork, hardwork and weekend <<< it is the beast
    Automatics are problematic, I've got a spare you can try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thread drift, but hey it's all knives! i love rigging knives!! these are hot riggers, awesome knives: Home Page

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Oh heck yes. You called it man, best lunch ever :)
    Mike, when I was racing boats for the St. Michael's Maritime Museum I always had a Rigging Knife and like you my captain pretty much required it.
    I still use it for making rope ends and cutting rope...looks like this:
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Kershaw seems to have a loyal following, but I could never get excited about the blade shapes, handle ergos, or steel selection (for my tastes). They seem nice for what they are, but what they are doesn't appeal to me.

I'm also not sure I buy into assisted opening. If you want an auto, get an auto. I like the performance and reliability of a thumb stud, and I can open my pocket knives as fast and easily as I could any coil or leaf sprung auto I've owned (which is why the auto's have all moved on).

The 707 is an all around more appealing package to me. It's $100 more, and is pretty easily justified so long as your not planning to dump it over the boat in deep water.
    Thanks for your thoughts, and I appreciate where you're coming from in re: any sort of opening assist. I still have a lot to learn about the different alloys that are available. The Japanese kitchen knives thread sent me on quite a research binge. There's a dizzying array of available alloys and options for any given blade type and length.

The Benchmade (axis) lands in my pocket every weekday and for dress up.
    Chris Reeve for afterwork, hardwork and weekend <<< it is the beast
    Automatics are problematic, I've got a spare you can try.
    A buddy has two Chris Reeve's. Super nice but too nice when the risk of loss for me is pretty high. Would love to try out your automatic. I know where to find you - tomorrow?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EddieB, you now have good reason to make a trip to PDX to give both a test drive. Kershaw also sells Japanese style knives as well under the wasabi brand. Both have factory stores for you to visit. Plus there's beer, beer, Mary's place, and video poker for you there as well. And beer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a leek and agree handle shape doesn't work for me, also if you take the safety out it can and will open in your pocket, or near your bare toes if it falls out of your pocket. I like the Benchmades I have better for the lock and the way the spring assisted one works.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Leatherman Squirt may look like "My First Knife" and not so gentlemanly but it has a decent blade and pliers that are actually useful. The cute colors may put any office knife alarmists at ease too.

squirt-p4-group-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klotzli makes some really nice knives. I had an opportunity to get a really nice folder at a great price from them at a knife show in NYC. Blued damascus steel blade, beautiful action. Super slim and very elegant. Last hour of the show and I went in there because I bumped into a street sign. Always regretted not going for it. Knives can be like bikes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Which axis-lock would you recommend for an all purpose, smaller blade, every day carry sort of knife? My 910 stryker is going on 20 years old. The blade's a little long for my taste these days and it's probably time for an update. I'd say I got my money's worth at this point.
    Me too, my Stryker is a 905 (Mini-Stryker) which I bought about 17 years ago! I quite carrying it about ~7 years ago when I got the 940 because the axis-lock is so good, but it got pressed back into service about a year ago when I got tired of the size/clipped-on-the-pants look of the 940.

Bang-for-buck it's really hard to beat one of the griptilian's. They've got all kinds of of blade shapes/sizes but the handle/lock remain the same usually. The mac-daddy of the grip series is the Doug Ritter ($$ - has stonewashed S30v steel and a phenomenal blade geometry) but they're all good - just find the blade shape you want. There is also some aftermarket handles floating around for those things (cuscadi/wilkins) that really get me going (especially the green ones).

Last edited by Jason Musgrave; 09-13-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: green knives!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S. This is nicer than a [stock] Griptilian: Benchmade 707 (and smaller than your 910 or a 940).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benchmade might have a majority stake with pedal pushers.
    AbbeyQueue - Tell me about the Benchmade auto knife. I've about given up on my Protec TR3. It is the king kong of automatics with an insanely well built knife, great steel but it has a bad habit of opening in my pocket and yeah I don't always clip it to my pocket. Carrying that TR3 loose is a hazard.
    I misspoke, my Presidio was not a full auto, but was a assisted opening or whatever the prefered term is. You give it a nudge and the spring takes over. It's never come open in my pocket, but I almost always keep it clipped. It did spring open a couple of times when I dropped it but since I don't own a pair of sandals I wasn't to worried. I also am under the impression that this style is 50 state legal, where as the full auto's aren't legale in a majority of states. I imagine with the few major knife manufactures in Oregon that won't change anytime soon.

But I did break down since this thread started and go get a full auto Benchmade, a 'mini' reflex. I put mini in quotes because it's still got a 3.125" blade. It is little thinner and lighter than my Presidio, mostly because it doesn't have a liner, just a full resin/composite handle. I've only had it for a few days and so far so good. It's got a pretty stiff button, not sure if that'll break in or not. Kind of hope it stays nice and stiff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lot's of pictures of black knives but this is my other Benchmade. 480 Shoki G10 scales and Cocobolo wood, I don't carry it often enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reminds me a lot of the pair of 733s my brother gave us on our wedding day. They are laser-engraved with our names and the date on them.