User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: E(very) D(ay) C(arry) and knives - any primers (Atwoods etc.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: E(very) D(ay) C(arry) and knives - any primers (Atwoods etc.)

matter of fact, i just sliced up an apple at my desk with the trusty old thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own a number of good knives, but if I am wearing anything other than dress pants, athletic shorts or spandex this is in my pocket. In the last 10+ years nothing has usurped its rule. It is utilitarian without being crappy, strong without being heavy and large enough without being particularly threatening. I have never found a knife I enjoy using more, or can more safely use one-handed.

Benchmade mini-griptilian

The Benchmade 530 features the same Axis lock (my favorite feature of the mini-grip) while being much slimmer and lighter...

Spyderco makes great blades, but I see them more like plastic-wonder-bikes than the Benchmades, which tend to sweat the details a little more. The Chris Reeve Sebenza that TT mentioned has to be vSalon approved...particularly if you are right handed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a little Buck Stockman. I don't ask a whole lot of it since I mainly work in an office (I guess I've cleaned quite a few grouse and pheasant with it, and I cut a split radiator hose with it one), but it works just fine for what I need. Having three little blades is nice. The only drawback is that it doesn't lock.

I may pick up an Opinel or two to keep in my desk and glove box just because they look like nice little tools.

If I were using it for significant tasks on a daily basis and it wouldn't be frowned upon to have a clip sticking out of my pocket at work, I'd get a Benchmade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously??? A few years ago I fould a NOS antler case knife in that config. and gave it to Queen for her birthday. Yeah, chicks dig knives and it really cut down on her using my good shears for opening packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    My grandfather gave me one of those when I was around 11 or 12. Still have it, but I could never bring myself to use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Seriously??? A few years ago I fould a NOS antler case knife in that config. and gave it to Queen for her birthday. Yeah, chicks dig knives and it really cut down on her using my good shears for opening packages.
    Seriously. He had a collection of knives and guns and cameras and watches and all sorts of good stuff. Taught me how to use them, care for them, and respect them. Long story, but I didn't end up with the guns or cameras or watches when we lost him a number of years back. But I have a box of knives I make sure to keep clean and oiled. For cutting stuff I just use my benchmade liner-lock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Seriously. He had a collection of knives and guns and cameras and watches and all sorts of good stuff. Taught me how to use them, care for them, and respect them. Long story, but I didn't end up with the guns or cameras or watches when we lost him a number of years back. But I have a box of knives I make sure to keep clean and oiled. For cutting stuff I just use my benchmade liner-lock.
    Gotcha. I've got a small Buck lockback that dad carried and when carrying it I'm always aware of it's presence. These things have such amazing value to only us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I have a little Buck Stockman. I don't ask a whole lot of it since I mainly work in an office (I guess I've cleaned quite a few grouse and pheasant with it, and I cut a split radiator hose with it one), but it works just fine for what I need. Having three little blades is nice. The only drawback is that it doesn't lock.

I may pick up an Opinel or two to keep in my desk and glove box just because they look like nice little tools.

If I were using it for significant tasks on a daily basis and it wouldn't be frowned upon to have a clip sticking out of my pocket at work, I'd get a Benchmade.
    My old stockman has a leather punch instead of the drop-point blade. Also does not have wooden scales...but rather some hard and very durable sort of nylon. It's been a heckuva' good knife now for many years. I don't think I've ever missed the lock feature. Back when I got mine there were very few locking blades available that weren't pig-stickers...useless for anything except flashing around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    These things have such amazing value to only us.
    Nailed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going a bit OT here. Wanted to show the knife that is my favorite "Big Knife", if one needs such a thing..and they can come in handy when you only want/need to carry one single knife to cut, slice, chop, pry, etc... The Al Mar SERE "Operator" is 250 bucks well spent. Very useful size and blade design for just about everything except maybe skinning and caping...but it even works okay for that. I can't imagine ever needing a larger knife...maybe need more of a pure skinning knife if you were dressing out lots of big stuff. There is a reason why the old Puma White Hunters go for big bucks on the 'Bay. They were a perfect skinning knife.

The Operator was designed by the armed forces Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape, (SERE) school as an all-purpose knife for rangers, downed aircrews, scouts, anyone needing a knife that could do lots of things. The design is simple and the thing is very well made. This is not a Kabar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I carry a small 2-bladed Case pocketknife most days. I keep it sharp and use it often. Carbon steel blades, not stainless; they keep an edge well. The knife is nothing special, probably a mid-priced item when new? It belonged to my late father and is probably from the 1920-30s. I got it back in 1983 when he died and, though certainly showing signs of wear, it is still going strong. Between him and me, it has been used on countless fishing and backpacking trips, along with everyday use.

I also use a silver-sided Victorinox similar to the one shown by AngryScientist (but no file blade) and I like that one too. Like the Case, it is slim and rides comfortably in a pants pocket. The Victorinox gets taken on cycling tours since it has a bottle opener, screwdriver ends, etc. It has been on two PBP rides as well. Pretty handy if you lack regular tools during a ride.

Otherwise, they're just pocketknives. As Chancerider wrote, "don't over think it."

Bill B.
    Santa Cruz by the Sea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For EDC Opinels can't be beat - weighs about a much as a smart phone and locks. The blade has a nice shape, wide for a little knife but not too much.

Perfect match with cheese and saucisson sec.. Or to cut your ham on rye.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    The Al Mar SERE "Operator" is 250 bucks well spent.
    Wow, that's quite a knife.

The utility knife I use for unglamorous tasks is pretty basic.

It's made by Camillus, although I'm not sure what model it is. I don't think it was expensive at all. I've had it for 15 years or so, and done things with it no knife should be used for - i.e. non-knife tasks. I haven't managed to break the tip off or bend the blade, and the soft steel takes an edge easily.

It's nothing compared to that Al Mar, but it's been good to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Wow, that's quite a knife.

The utility knife I use for unglamorous tasks is pretty basic.

It's made by Camillus, although I'm not sure what model it is. I don't think it was expensive at all. I've had it for 15 years or so, and done things with it no knife should be used for - i.e. non-knife tasks. I haven't managed to break the tip off or bend the blade, and the soft steel takes an edge easily.

It's nothing compared to that Al Mar, but it's been good to me.
    That's a Kabar. It'll work. They've worked for over 50 years. Best tent stakes ever. Surly vs. "Good Bike" debate all over again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have allot of knives.
    This is my current favorite - it's fantastic.
    Spyderco Navaja
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is my edc
    M4 Series Hunting Knives | EDC Folding Knife | CRKT

the opening mech took some getting used to and sometimes i have to take it apart and clean it to keep it opening well
    but thats a pretty quick procedure granted you have the little bity star drivers for the screws...

have some opinels
    they are cheap and have a good edge but i wouldn't want to use them for much more than cutting some veggies or cheese or something
    i prefer a clip for edc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite, but too chicken to EDC. The blade, bolsters, clip, and back spacer are all Damascus. The scales are mammoth tooth.

V-sa2.jpgV-sa5.jpgV-sa4.jpg

EDC is a Sypderco Ti Sage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm fortunate to call Peter Atwood a friend and his stuff is top notch. Get something if you can.

That said, I think that a Victorinox Swiss Army knife, e.g. a Tinker or Soldier, is impossible to beat for <$20.

Another option is to go to County.com and put together a little keychain EDC kit to match your needs -- tweezers, screwdrivers, pry bars. Small money.

CountyComm - What's New Cage: (4QK35) Preppers & EDC Gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stnphoto View Post
    Favorite, but too chicken to EDC. The blade, bolsters, clip, and back spacer are all Damascus. The scales are mammoth tooth.

V-sa2.jpgV-sa5.jpgV-sa4.jpg

EDC is a Sypderco Ti Sage
    It would SUCK to send that to 88 fathoms!
    My ho-made Creighton fillet knife had me worried about deep 6'ing it but I got used to it - it looks so much nicer covered with blood & fish scales!
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    It would SUCK to send that to 88 fathoms!
    It would indeed. I should probably trade or sell it since I don't have the heart to truly use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something something ride your best bike every day.