User Tag List

Thread: J.D. Buchanan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default J.D. Buchanan Bicycles

My name is Jeff Buchanan of J.D. Buchanan Bicycles. I suppose my story isn’t much different than most of you. My love affair with the bicycle started as a youngster riding BMX bikes near Antioch, California. It was my first experience of freedom and I enjoyed the speed, jumps, and ability to ride for miles without a care in the world. My first quality bike was a Webco BMX in royal blue with red decals. Over time I upgraded the bike with a chrome Redline fork and red Tuff wheels. I thought it was the coolest bike on the block. Around 1980 my father was transferred back to Maryland, we settled in a small town named Middletown. About 3 years later my prized Webco was stolen from the local mall, I was crushed, but was ready to get my driver’s license so the disappointment didn’t last too long. As a teenager, I enjoyed playing sports, mechanical things, cars, working with my hands, etc. After high school I enlisted in the Army for 4 years as a diesel mechanic. I enjoyed two years in Germany, then was transferred to Ft. Drum, NY. After my 4 years I elected not to reenlist, I missed my freedom and was about to marry my high school sweetheart.

I started shooting target rifles around 1990, competed in benchrest matches, continually practiced and became interested in what made an accurate rifle shoot so well. With G.I. Bill money burning a hole in my pocket, I started at the Pennsylvania Gunsmith School in August of 94. Sixteen months later I graduated and started a 2 year apprenticeship with a shop in Hancock, MD. I worked for the shop 3 years after my mentor retired, however the shop was a general gunsmithing business, and I wanted to specialize in target rifles. I enjoyed the machine work more than general repair, so in 2000, I started my own business. The business was called Buchanan Precision. I was fortunate to have an established customer base, enjoyed the work, invested countless hours in the business, and was successful professionally. I built rimfire and centerfire match rifles for a few accomplished competitors. All told there were ( 6 ) IR 50/50 and International Benchrest Shooters Association world records established with rifles I produced as well as many state, regional, and (1) 6-gun national championship. Unfortunately, the money was short and I had an opportunity to start with my local county as a paid firefighter/EMT. With a wife, two young children and a mortgage, the decision was an easy one. I couldn’t afford to pass on a regular paycheck, benefits, and pension. Now I have 11 years of service and haven’t looked back.

In 2003 I rode the Tour De Friends charity ride, a 340-mile ride from North Carolina to Washington, D.C. At the time I had a steel hybrid that weighed about 30 pounds. Trek provided mechanical support as well as demo bikes. On the 3rd day of the ride I tried a Trek 5200. That’s when cycling changed for me. I had no idea bikes were that fast, handled that well, or riding the road could be so much fun. Later that summer I purchased a new titanium Lemond Victoire. I’ve ridden on a regular basis since then.

In 2010 I went to NAHBS in Richmond. I had planned to look for a builder for my first custom frame. I was unprepared for the level of beauty and craftsmanship I experienced. After spending 8 hours at the show on Friday, I had only made it through less than half of the booths. I returned Sunday to finish out the show. While there, I spoke with the guys from Henry James and Nova Cycling Supply. On the drive back home Sunday evening my thoughts had changed from looking for a builder to actually attempting to build a frame for myself. Within a few weeks I had ordered all the frame components, drawn plans, and started work on my first frame. I still had my lathe and milling machine from my gunsmithing days, so making fixtures, tools, and cutting miters were all possible. I stopped documenting my time after spending 100 hours on the front triangle. For the first frame I wanted to do the fabrication and paint. So I ended up buying an inexpensive spray gun and finished off the project. Then a good friend asked me to build one for his wife, my 12-year old son was next, then a local bike shop owner. As of now I’ve completed 15 framesets and painted the last 5. I build with lugs and have completed road, touring, cyclocross, and a single speed. As of now I always complete a full scale drawing for the frame design. I feel the frames are getting better all the time with improved heat control, repeatable and consistent results, and improved efficiency. I’m finally to the point where I don’t feel as if I’m fighting with the tubes any longer. I feel like I have a better understanding of frame geometry and design and the ability to work within the angles prescribed by the castings. When I first started building in 2010, I wasn’t sure if it would turn into a business or a hobby. I wasn’t in a hurry to promote a product or sell frames. I wanted to practice building, hit my marks, insure quality control and receive feedback from riders. I’ve had positive feedback, my frames are being ridden hard, and I enjoy the process more with each frame. So last month I purchased liability insurance. I’m in the process of establishing a price list and plan to develop a website soon. I hope to display as a new builder at NAHBS in Charlotte in 2014.

Thanks to all the builders for the generous exchange of information and to Richard and Jonathan for inviting me to get Smoked Out. Any questions, fire away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: J.D. Buchanan Bicycles

enjoyed your journey --- look forward to "in person..," charlotte 2014..

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Flickr site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JD-

I used to shoot bullseye pistol competitively, and did a little reading about benchrest. Fortunately for me I didn't have the time or money to try it out, but the attention to detail in all facets of preparation and competition really fascinated me.

Anyway, I enjoyed meeting you at Ballers 2012, and I remember thinking that your bikes didn't look like they were turned out by somebody who had just started putting tubes in lugs. Other than knowing how to work the machine tools, do you think your gunsmithing background gave you a leg up? Anything you had to un-learn from your days turning barrels?

Also, now that you've built a few different types of frames, are you gravitating toward one as your favorite?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    enjoyed your journey --- look forward to "in person..," charlotte 2014..

ronnie with a smile
    Ronnie,

I'm really excited about NAHBS this year, it's my first time back since Richmond, not to mention I look forward to displaying one of my bicycles. The first round is on me!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    JD-

I used to shoot bullseye pistol competitively, and did a little reading about benchrest. Fortunately for me I didn't have the time or money to try it out, but the attention to detail in all facets of preparation and competition really fascinated me.

Anyway, I enjoyed meeting you at Ballers 2012, and I remember thinking that your bikes didn't look like they were turned out by somebody who had just started putting tubes in lugs. Other than knowing how to work the machine tools, do you think your gunsmithing background gave you a leg up? Anything you had to un-learn from your days turning barrels?

Also, now that you've built a few different types of frames, are you gravitating toward one as your favorite?
    You would be surprised how gunsmithing and building bikes parallel one another. The school I attended was broken down into four 4-month semesters. We learned proper metal shaping, contouring, polishing and bluing technique first. Then stock building from blanks, semi-inlets. shaping and wood finishing. The third semester was machine tool practice, fabricating from blueprints, metallurgy and heat treatment, parts/tool fabrication and hand fitting locks and actions. Our last semester brought everything together in order to build two fully custom firearms (actions not included). So the design and drafting, machining, fitting, polishing, etc. were second nature. My biggest challenge was learning how to properly silver and bronze braze.

As far as a favorite type of bike, I'm a huge fan of Peter Weigle so lightweight road and randonneuring bikes are probably my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard Jeff! Always admired your details in your prep and inspection of tubes. Must be those years of gunsmithing. Hope to meet you in Charlotte!
    NATE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff, its great to see you here.

My Question: do you have a style or type of bike you're passionate about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zukas Cycles View Post
    Welcome aboard Jeff! Always admired your details in your prep and inspection of tubes. Must be those years of gunsmithing. Hope to meet you in Charlotte!
    NATE
    Nate,

Thanks! I enjoy your work as well. I'd like to stop by your shop next July. My family always vacations in your neck of the wood for the 4th. See you at NAHBS first though!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Jeff, its great to see you here.

My Question: do you have a style or type of bike you're passionate about?
    Hi Jonathan,

I like any well designed, lightweight road and rando-style bike. Since I only have been working with lugs so far I haven't attempted a mountain bike yet. I have considered using Tom Kellogg's technique and doing a hardtail with fabricated lugs. I'm practicing my fillet brazing with hopes of offering that as an option eventually. But for now I enjoy working with lugs and like the aesthetic.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be interested to hear where you see your business going, i.e., what will separate you from the other builders eventually. mt bikes for the 'shed and Michaux? commuters Copenhagen for the DC crowd?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    I would be interested to hear where you see your business going, i.e., what will separate you from the other builders eventually. mt bikes for the 'shed and Michaux? commuters Copenhagen for the DC crowd?

Thanks!
    As I begin the business I will offer what I'm comfortable and confident building (road, cross, rando., fixed). I was telling Jonathan than I'm practicing my fillet brazing now, I maybe consider bi-laminate head tubes, fillet frames, mtn frames, stems and racks eventually. But for now my immediate goal is a well-designed, quality frameset with an eye on the details. I'm happy with my results, confident in the process, and have had consistent, repeatable frames the last 2 years. I have a full-size alignment/inspection table and keep a close eye on the total indicator runout (T.I.R.) keeping the frame to .050" or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for answering, and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured I would share a few pictures of my mitering process.

Finding center with a "wiggler" photo (31).JPG Rough cut with a holesaw photo (32).JPG Finish cut with a fly cutter photo (34).JPG Prepped for tacking photo (35).JPG BB fitting photo (36).JPG