User Tag List

Page 129 of 136 FirstFirst ... 119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136 LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2702

Thread: Grumps can suck it, it's Friday!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Grumps can suck it, it's Friday!

The goats are back.
    Gee, we even made Reuters...

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/goa...ds-2022-06-29/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay goats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the type of news that I can enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I will retire (again) two weeks from today. To practice being retired, I took the day off. I have next Friday off as well and then a sick day the next week for doctor appointments. Doing the math, I have 8 work days remaining. Once I retire, as long as my new truck shell has arrived and been installed, my wife and I will take the travel trailer to Wyoming for 5-6 weeks.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here I am looking forward to just my first retirement, someday. Hope the shell is installed and the road is good to you, bigbill.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sort of the opposite of retirement: It's summer intern season. We lucked out with some great interns this summer. It has been a lot of fun to watch them develop into contributing team members. If this group is any indication, Gen-Z is going to be just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Sort of the opposite of retirement: It's summer intern season. We lucked out with some great interns this summer. It has been a lot of fun to watch them develop into contributing team members. If this group is any indication, Gen-Z is going to be just fine.
    Same observation at my workplace. Very impressed by the current cohort of 20-somethings. Hard working, pleasant to work with, and just plain fun to be around. The standout, rising-college senior interns will be heading back to school at the end of the summer with job offers for June 2023.

Greg
    Old age and treachery beat youth and enthusiasm every time…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Same observation at my workplace. Very impressed by the current cohort of 20-somethings. Hard working, pleasant to work with, and just plain fun to be around. The standout, rising-college senior interns will be heading back to school at the end of the summer with job offers for June 2023.

Greg
    I had a new engineer shadowing me all week. My company has a program where they hire new grads then have them spend a week at each type of facility. I think he was a good guy. His family immigrated from Pakistan and he graduated from Purdue with mech e degree. He is Muslim and I know a local family that runs a business in the airport that are very active in the local Muslim community (one Mosque). I introduced him and he's spending his last afternoon at the Mosque getting a feel for the community. A job is 8 hours a day, community is 24/7.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    II have 8 work days remaining.
    Bravo Zulu Bill. I can't wait to follow you (into retirement, not WY, although, I often think about NW AZ anywhere between Prescott and Payson as I love the MTB trails in that area)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pushed retirement back a month because a project popped up and it's a great opportunity to train my replacement on something they've never done. So I'm at 3.75 months instead of 2.75 months and the company packed 7 days of suck into 4 this week. Big whoop. I can see the horizon with that and tomorrow I'm getting on my bike and chasing the real horizon. Everything is going to be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    Bravo Zulu Bill. I can't wait to follow you (into retirement, not WY, although, I often think about NW AZ anywhere between Prescott and Payson as I love the MTB trails in that area)
    I was in Flagstaff last weekend to do some riding at Fort Tuthill. Luke AFB has a recreational area there with cabins, family A-frames, campsites, and RV spots with power and water. I can ride the trails for hours in any direction from the rec area. It's not super cheap, but far cheaper than most other lodging in Flag. As a bonus, Garro is only a few miles away down a trail so you can stop by and order a custom Coconino. I was in Payson about a month ago, it's very dry and dusty. Prescott is good plus they have the VA Hospital for northern AZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks- good to know on the cabins. Last time I went to Flagstaff was with a high school buddy and we rented a tiny place near the historic area. I shouldn't have implied there are good trails in Payson (but maybe there are), but it was the closest town to the area I rode. The trail I like is a bit east of Payson, 260 trailhead --nicely forested trail. listed as highline trail #31 on mtbproject. Whenever I pass that way I stop to ride the 1st 5-10 miles and then turn around. Someday I hope to plan it better and have cooler temp, more time, be in better shape, and try the whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I retired today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I retired today.
    Congrats
    You’ve joined a good group.
    I’ve yet to hear any regrets from other members.
    It’s a surprisingly smooth quick transition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I retired today.
    For a second time! Congratulations!
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's really my third. I retired from the Navy in 2012 and was hired as an engineer at Kimberly-Clark. In 2018, after my son received an appointment to USNA, I took a severance to leave that summer. Kimberly-Clark lists me as retired so I still get offers for products as if I was still an employee. I was recruited for an engineering manager position in Arizona which began in late July of 2018. My son graduated from USNA a few months ago and began his Marine career. I have enough pension income and a decent IRA, it's time to just enjoy life with my wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I retired today.
    Is this your first retirement ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our daughter returned from two months boating in British Columbia with three other young women this week. I had company meetings in Seattle until Wednesday so my wife joined me and timing was perfect for us to drive to Lopez Island in the San Juan’s for a big party with friends and families.
    The women plan to make a documentary from the footage they took as a senior project for one of the girls. They are all 22-23 years old. https://instagram.com/capimovie?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    A1021776-1AD2-4B1C-9762-7FA981FEFFDD.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Still adjusting to retired life. We'll head back to AZ the first week of September. Went fly fishing twice this past week; Wednesday's trip was to the Upper Tongue River on Hwy-14A, where we caught a few but saw several moose. We wanted to continue fishing up the river but decided to turn around when a moose cow and calf were standing in the water staring at us. I've been exploring BLM roads on the gravel bike and enjoying the scenery. Our AZ place backs up to BLM as well.

In other news, my USMC 2Lt son begins The Basic School in Quantico on Monday. He's due to graduate in March of 2023. All Marine officers have to attend no matter what field they'll work in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our favorite plumber/heating & cooling/LPG guy who was one of the best parts of building our house is here to install our replacement cooktop and if all goes smoothly, we will have a working 5 burner cooktop in our kitchen after 9 months of repair attempts and phone arguments with the manufacturer after the original cooktop burned out its computer boards after only one year of use.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books