User Tag List

Page 132 of 136 FirstFirst ... 122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136 LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 2702

Thread: Grumps can suck it, it's Friday!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Grumps can suck it, it's Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Dan…I wasn’t allowed to bring my Ogie Oglethorpe jersey.
    You sent me into the archives.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/bill-...yth-the-legend

“Police finally arrived with dogs to control the mob.”
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our daughter had her first academic paper published...needless to say she is on cloud 9.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=rjme20
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful. Congratulations! Important work!

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Our daughter had her first academic paper published...needless to say she is on cloud 9.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=rjme20

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My son graduated from The Basic School at Quantico this morning. All Marine officers have to attend this seven month school regardless of what their job will eventually be. He hits the road shortly to drive to Pensacola for flight school. Photo, my son on the left with his instructor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoutout to PaMtbRider. He posted a used (and knowing him, you'll know it is in almost perfect shape) 29er MTB for sale in the Classifieds across the hall the other day.

I saw it there and suggested he contact some local NICA (youth MTB org) teams to sell it... Instead, he let me know he wanted to donate it to the team I coach! And not only did he donate it, he delivered it to my house and included spare SPD pedals and tires. Wow! Thank you!

I've had the bike in my house for a bit and every time I walk past it, it makes me smile, so I thought I'd acknowledge a forum member here. Cheers PMR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My son graduated from The Basic School at Quantico this morning. All Marine officers have to attend this seven month school regardless of what their job will eventually be. He hits the road shortly to drive to Pensacola for flight school. Photo, my son on the left with his instructor.
    That's great Bill. I must be getting old. There's no way I would have been able to tell which of those young men were the older.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    Shoutout to PaMtbRider. He posted a used (and knowing him, you'll know it is in almost perfect shape) 29er MTB for sale in the Classifieds across the hall the other day.

I saw it there and suggested he contact some local NICA (youth MTB org) teams to sell it... Instead, he let me know he wanted to donate it to the team I coach! And not only did he donate it, he delivered it to my house and included spare SPD pedals and tires. Wow! Thank you!

I've had the bike in my house for a bit and every time I walk past it, it makes me smile, so I thought I'd acknowledge a forum member here. Cheers PMR!
    Well done all around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    That's great Bill. I must be getting old. There's no way I would have been able to tell which of those young men were the older.
    Thanks. He's in Pensacola now for flight school. He has 6 week ground school then 90-120 days before he starts the next phase. He got his recreational license two years ago.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're closed on Tuesday. Tonight is the last night in the old apartment. You can all look forward to "how do I [basic home maintenance question]?" posts in the OT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To anyone who’s heard the two young representatives expelled yesterday in Tennessee: these guys are special. One can only hope they’ll be back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks. He's in Pensacola now for flight school. He has 6 week ground school then 90-120 days before he starts the next phase. He got his recreational license two years ago.
    Replying to my own post. My son found out this morning that his powered flight program between his junior and senior year at Annapolis means he will skip the "Cessna Phase" because he already has his recreational license and was evaluated by a Navy instructor pilot. Now, he will do a six week ground school, some simulator time, and the first aircraft he'll fly is the T-6. This shortens his training by four months before he heads to the advanced jet trainers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replying to my own post. My son found out this morning that his powered flight program between his junior and senior year at Annapolis means he will skip the "Cessna Phase" because he already has his recreational license and was evaluated by a Navy instructor pilot. Now, he will do a six week ground school, some simulator time, and the first aircraft he'll fly is the T-6. This shortens his training by four months before he heads to the advanced jet trainers.
    I did the same thing in the Air Force as I was already a civilian aircraft mechanic, went for F16 crew chief training and got to pass 7 months of training because of my qualifications. I did spend 10 straight hours doing all the paper testing that was required, but well worth it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    I did the same thing in the Air Force as I was already a civilian aircraft mechanic, went for F16 crew chief training and got to pass 7 months of training because of my qualifications. I did spend 10 straight hours doing all the paper testing that was required, but well worth it!
    My son is building his simulator at his house. I've been watching the Amazon purchases (on his dime, family account), and he has a slick setup. He can simulate the T-6, Goshawk, C-130, Hornet, and some rudimentary F-35. He had been waffling on being a pilot because of the long commitment, but I reminded him that he got aviation and some else didn't so honor your word. He's fully into it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last day of a week’s time off. This is the first time in 2 years that I didn’t spoil my time off by spending some of the time “on.” I’d gotten so bad at bringing my work with me that I’d forgotten how important it is to unplug.

Walked the dog to the dog park and played ball. Now catching up on Chapman Cycles’ build videos. Soon, a walk to the bakery.

Custom fork build, goes well with coffee: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp39I...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Last day of a week’s time off. This is the first time in 2 years that I didn’t spoil my time off by spending some of the time “on.” I’d gotten so bad at bringing my work with me that I’d forgotten how important it is to unplug.

Walked the dog to the dog park and played ball. Now catching up on Chapman Cycles’ build videos. Soon, a walk to the bakery.

Custom fork build, goes well with coffee: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp39I...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    That guy is so good. There's a gold color randonneur that made me swoon a bit.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son is building his simulator at his house. I've been watching the Amazon purchases (on his dime, family account), and he has a slick setup. He can simulate the T-6, Goshawk, C-130, Hornet, and some rudimentary F-35. He had been waffling on being a pilot because of the long commitment, but I reminded him that he got aviation and some else didn't so honor your word. He's fully into it now.
    It is exhausting, but well worth it, and time goes by fast! I highly recommend he learns emergency procedures and learn the checklists of those aircraft, especially F35's and F18's for fighters as well as heavies in case he gets put on mobility command, (or whatever the Navy calls it). Also, tell him to stay away from alcohol! I have seen so many fellow Airman, Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines go down the alcohol path, myself included, and mess up their careers and life. Don't get married in the military, stay away from the booze, and excel in your job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tested negative for Covid this afternoon. Was in a car for half an hour and ate dinner with somebody Sunday that got sick Monday and tested positive. On a personal level it means that High Command won't keep me off the bike for the next 5 days even if I'm asymptomatic. Better, though, is that Karen and my 91 year old mother in law who were in the car and shared dinner tested negative too.

And I managed to get the last bearing race out of the pedal. The two on the inboard side simply disintegrated. I ended up using the 90 degree tip of a split ring plier to hook it and pull it out after it spent a couple hours soaking in NFS, the wonder elixir. Evidently they don't last four years of constant year round use in all conditions and evidently, too, I'm an idiot. Who knew?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m going to see one of my all time favorite bands, U2, in Vegas in November, at the new “Sphere” venue, with at least two of my best friends from high school; one more ticket still to be spoken for. They’re focusing on Achtung Baby, which came out when I was a ninth grader, just becoming friends with said crew.
    I have never been to LV, and always joked that I’d never purposely go there unless a (very) good buddy’s bachelor party was hosted there. We’re all old and married now but this show is finally the thing to get me to that town, if only for 24 hours.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I’m going to see one of my all time favorite bands, U2, in Vegas in November, at the new “Sphere” venue, with at least two of my best friends from high school; one more ticket still to be spoken for. They’re focusing on Achtung Baby, which came out when I was a ninth grader, just becoming friends with said crew.
    I have never been to LV, and always joked that I’d never purposely go there unless a (very) good buddy’s bachelor party was hosted there. We’re all old and married now but this show is finally the thing to get me to that town, if only for 24 hours.
    I'm about 90 minutes from Vegas but I never cared about gambling or shows. The times I went, it was about eating. Eataly is in the Park MGM and has the best Italian foods including wood fire pizza and gelato.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about 90 minutes from Vegas but I never cared about gambling or shows. The times I went, it was about eating. Eataly is in the Park MGM and has the best Italian foods including wood fire pizza and gelato.
    I won’t argue with that, though I tend to think of Vegas as the place where established chefs go to cash in. We lived a couple miles from the Chicago Eataly and enjoyed it. I’m sure it’s spawned it’s own original cuisines.
    my name is Matt