User Tag List

Page 9 of 136 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Grumps can suck it, it's Friday!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Oh man what a rug that'd make. (Doing my 20.)
    No push-ups required in gcsiif. Your pecs look great though, and I don't mind saying so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Grumps can suck it, it's Friday!

Last day of work before I get to watch my alma mater (hopefully) beat my home town team, and father's alma mater. Sure it's a long shot with Virginia at 2-8 on the season, but with Miami in a downward spiral, you never know. And the best part is I'm happy whichever team wins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Last day of work before I get to watch my alma mater (hopefully) beat my home town team, and father's alma mater. Sure it's a long shot with Virginia at 2-8 on the season, but with Miami in a downward spiral, you never know. And the best part is I'm happy whichever team wins.
    Since I have "family" attending Virginia - I'll root for Virginia.

Friday Hell Yeah: exterior renovations have been moving along. Maybe a week or two left (damn Turkey day will interfere, no doubt).
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Building my first frame in a bit and it's coming out great--gotta love muscle memory.

Taking prednisone for a weird skin thing and have felt better the last couple of days than in recent memory. Tons of energy, better mood, etc. Don't know if it's connected, but I'll take it.

Front row seats for David Sedaris tonight up in Rutvegas.

Unusually happy, considering the 3.2 hours of sunlight per day it seems like we're getting…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st turns at sugarloaf coming 1st thing tmmrw am! wait, i don't turn. hahaha i've said it before, i love my local bike/ski shop. had a complete remount for new skis done, and the rear wheel of my track bike trued and fixed 2 broken spokes - $10.00 total. Bath Cycle and Ski - Woolwich Maine
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to seeing Elvis Costello perform a solo act this evening. I have been patiently waiting for this show.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    Looking forward to seeing Elvis Costello perform a solo act this evening. I have been patiently waiting for this show.
    I saw him two weeks ago in Northampton. A joy.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one’s sort of long, since it requires a set up. My dad died 11 years ago. About 7 months later, a long-time friend of my parents – the mother of childhood friends of mine – died. And then less than a year after her death, my widow mom and her widower husband became a couple.

The relationship was pretty weird for me, at least at first. On my first visit after their thing became public, I went out for dinner with my mom, her ‘boyfriend’ and one of his daughters. Although this daughter and I had been good friends as teenagers, I had lost touch and probably hadn’t seen her for almost twenty years. But as happens with long-lost friends of youth, we picked right up as if we’d seen each other last month, the years fell away and all of a sudden the whole situation felt warm, comfortable and, well, good…

The years have passed and the relationship has endured.

Last weekend I heard from another one of the daughters, who I had been even closer to as a kid (not like that... Get your minds out of the gutters here.) She was coming to Boston for work and was hoping we could get together. We had her over for dinner Tuesday and then I showed her and her colleague around town on Wednesday night.

Re-connecting – and although I saw her for an afternoon maybe 15 years ago, this was the first time we’d spent any real time together since the early 80s – was pretty fucking great. We had a massive amount of catching up to do; we bitched to each other about our (and the other’s) aging parents and how we deal with them; and we had a fantastic time just being together. She says she’s coming back to Boston with her family. I can’t wait to meet them.

Life is pretty much guaranteed to throw curves at you. Sometimes the results can be just brilliant.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Life is pretty much guaranteed to throw curves at you. Sometimes the results can be just brilliant.
    Such a great story, davids. It can be wonderful to reconnect with old friends. Doing so landed me a wife a few years ago and put my life on a path that is significantly better than where I was going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Such a great story, davids. It can be wonderful to reconnect with old friends. Doing so landed me a wife a few years ago and put my life on a path that is significantly better than where I was going.
    I'll keep the wife I've got, but if I'm going to have step-sisters I don't think I could be doing much better.

I'll throw in one other story; When we celebrated my mom's 80th a few years ago, I reconnected with another sister (this guy has five daughters. And eight granddaughters...) She and her husband had met in HS, and they're both, like, two years older than me. In HS two years was a huge gap. Add the fact that she was (and is) drop dead beautiful and her boyfriend was like the coolest guy around... I'm embarrassed to admit all my HS insecurity came back as the birthday party approached. And, of course, the two of them were just fantastic. He and I ended up talking about cycling half the night - he's done RAGBRAI - etc, etc, etc...
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After cleaning sh*t up at 3am the other morning and missing every morning ride for a week, this guy was almost yesterday's GRUMP. But he's such a doggamned lover boy he is at the top of my Fortunate Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just found out that the nipple hound that stole my one and only Strava KOF (it's ND, there are no Ms around)...

...was busted for EPO usage.

It was in '04 so it doesn't really matter, but I got some perverse satisfaction anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a new (to me) Cigar City brew in the fridge at home waiting to be opened. One I have never had before. Will report on it in the beverage thread later.

Tomorrow the boy learns to shoot bb guns and a bow and arrow. Should be a cool day for a father and a son. Can't wait.

Racing cross for the first time on Sunday.

Gonna need Monday off to rest.

Cheers.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    Have a new (to me) Cigar City brew in the fridge at home waiting to be opened. One I have never had before. Will report on it in the beverage thread later.

Tomorrow the boy learns to shoot bb guns and a bow and arrow. Should be a cool day for a father and a son. Can't wait.

Racing cross for the first time on Sunday.

Gonna need Monday off to rest.

Cheers.
    Just don't add "I shot my eye out" to the list of Monday Morning CXcuses thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    Cheers.
    Which one? Those guys RULE - very advanced brewery; lots of cool, unusual stuff. Love the Jai Ali of course, and also a big fan of the Tocobaga. Man, that Guava Grove Farmhouse sounds awesome. They do some really cool barrel aging - e.g. a Berlinerweiss aged in pear brandy barrels. I land in SW FL Monday and will no doubt be picking up some Jai Ali at Publix. It's worth the trip to the brewery if you've never been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the holiday season. Next week my daughter & I prepare a fierce Thanksgiving spread and invite over friends & aquaintances who can't make it back to their home towns OR just don't have any place to go for the holiday. Over-eating, drinking, football & parades on TV. Good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new set of Luxe wheels showed up yesterday. I'm headed home now to take them for their first spin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell yes. Employer just announced that they will contribute $5k in expenses to any employee adopting a child after 1/1/2014. John Deere gets me when it comes to benefits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to see #1 son play the role of the Black Night and other silliness in Monthy Python's SPAMALOT tonight at the High School Theater. It's amazing to see what these talented and dedicated kids can put on the stage.

My wife and I recently saw Book of Mormon in Chicago, but that's a show that will NEVER be put on by the High School Theater group. Hasta Digga Ebowae.... and all that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't be the only one with an anti grump. Found out yesterday I was going to need to work Saturday and maybe Sunday (big grump). I told anyone that would listening that I was going AWOL yesterday afternoon and was able to get 30 miles in before the sun went down.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Mike Noble