Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furniture - Book Shelves

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Furniture - Book Shelves

I am moving. I am not sure I want to move my cheap Ikea book shelves. They have served well but I might be ready for some 'furniture' shelves. I'm downsizing my book collection and my CDs never get listened to. Some or most will go. Even good ones. They're replaceable with digital copy. They're the 8-track tapes of this generation... But I do have movies and still have some books. And some stuff I have to keep.

I'd like to get something of great quality. And something I can disassemble to move.

I don't want to take out a mortgage to buy this but I'm not afraid to spend more than Ikea money either. Quality and style.

Talk to me.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Furniture - Book Shelves

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    And something I can disassemble to move.
    I have about 1200 books at home right now, moving is always a major pain. Moving the books is already bad enough, moving the shelves is even more annoying. My advice, buy the cheap ($30 or so) shelves at Target. They hold up quite well (even for heavy hardback editions), and you can throw them away when you move. Wasteful I know, but after moving books across countries several times it's by far the most practical solution, even if you're just moving around the block (which was my last move).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said stylish so Metro shelving is out but it is high quality, portable and can hold something like two hundred pounds per shelf.
    ses084.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with Metro shelving is that it is rather heavy. Easiest thing is to just buy more Ikea shelves for the new place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb View Post
    Problem with Metro shelving is that it is rather heavy. Easiest thing is to just buy more Ikea shelves for the new place.

I'll probably keep the ones I've got. I tried to give them to a buddy and he didn't want them!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Ikea shelves do you have? I've gone through the same thing with my records. I have the Expidet (or some such name - its the cubby hole like one that looks like it was made to hold records, but wasn't) and found that reinforcing the back with a thin strip of wood across the entire unit has added much needed structural integrety. Bonus feature, I can no longer push the records out the back of the shelf. One day, if I ever settle, I'd like to build my own shelves. Until then the Ikea have served me well, surviving two moves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are you moving from/to? Problem with knock down furniture is that it never goes back together as well as before. Maybe look on local craigslist/garage sale for new to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Where are you moving from/to? Problem with knock down furniture is that it never goes back together as well as before. Maybe look on local craigslist/garage sale for new to you.
    This. Cant take it appart. My above suggested solution is permanent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I'm moving from Grand Rapids and I don't know where to yet. This is a small item. I don't know which Ikea shelves they are. Anyway, I've never had much of an issue with reassembling furniture. My bed is an Ethan Allen bed frame and has been disassembled and reassembled several times with no issues. It is superior quality and that is clear when doing this task.

I'm hoping one of my target airlines calls me. Otherwise I'm probably moving to Virginia Beach. Been there before as a temporary resident and it was OK. I know that area, winters are mild, my airline's best base is there, cycling stinks but I know where to go where it's at least tolerable so that's OK.

I want to move to Minneapolis and that may happen, but I'm trying to eliminate my airline commuting and moving to MSP would not accomplish this goal. But that is where I'd like to go. Still could happen....
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Virginia Beach versus Minneapolis... really?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as take-apart shelving that looks like furniture, I'm not sure whether it gets much better than Ikea's offerings, but there is some risk of damage when moving- for example the backs are tacked in with brads so removal isn't always easy. That said, wood putty and paint can renew them if you're willing to put a little time in- may not be worth it. But replace "bookshelves" with "bike frame" and what would you do? Custom built-ins or solid well made refurbished pieces from yesteryear are nice investments if you're changing your gitano ways and settling into a new place for a while. I'll use the Ikea stuff until it gets replaced with cool finds in junk or antique stores or even something funky off the curb on recycling day. Sort of the equivalent of a beater lugged Raleigh that turns into a classy looking but affordable piece with some restoration and TLC. I would think that Virginia Beach would be a good place to find some cool beater fix it up furniture as it's out of the way for getting picked over by bobos and hipsters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know your done with IKEA, but I really like our Ivar stuff from them. Its all untreated pine, so you could paint it and also modify it. It comes in different depths and heights and even lengths and you buy every piece separate. We have a ton of it. We have a 9' long Bookshelf that is full height for 4' and then modified to be the height of our handrail for 6'. The great part about it is you can chop it up and add more shelves whenever you want. We also have a real tall 18" shoe rack, with about 15 shelves and and my girlfriend has another to supplement her dresser. Its very easy to take apart multiple times. Great thing is, this could all eventually end up in the shop for storage if we grow out of it. Only down fall is the plastic end bits arent the strongest, although none have broke on us, someday they might, we have real big architecture books, on average 11" tall completely full though, so if we split them up a bit I would never worry.

I love the look, but I know its not for everybody.

IVAR 3 sections/shelves - IKEA
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ikea uses up 1% of all global commercial wood. Seems like a sizeable dent. Try craigslist, garage or estate sales, driving through well-to-do neighborhoods and looking on the curb. It'll look better, last longer, be more unique, and you'll feel better about it.

My opinion anyway.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider the fact that Virginia Beach is close to Norfolk. Norfolk has a sizable military population that tends to be transient and turns furniture over pretty quickly. We have scored some nice pieces from military folks via craigslist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Ikea uses up 1% of all global commercial wood. Seems like a sizeable dent. Try craigslist, garage or estate sales, driving through well-to-do neighborhoods and looking on the curb. It'll look better, last longer, be more unique, and you'll feel better about it.

My opinion anyway.
    I agree with this, that number is pretty alarming as well. Anyone know how they make there particle board?

Bookcases are just not always easy. Especially if you have a lot of books and a small apartment. I only buy things from them that have decently sold construction with real wood or metal and will last long, if you look hard enough they do have some good items that I will keep for a long long time. I hate it when people buy ikea stuff and throw it to the curb when they move, although I have made that mistake with another ikea bookshelf that was the worst piece of furniture I have ever owned (bought freshman year of college).

Most our furniture is old stuff, some heavily modified, some just as it was 50 years ago.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the original question, a piece from Thomas Moser would look great and outlast us all: Bookcases : Thos. Moser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Virginia Beach versus Minneapolis... really?
    There's no contest WRT to the life I want to lead. There is a huge contest WRT to commuting. When DAL hires me I'll bid into MSP. But for now we have no base there and commuting really, really stinks.

I'm still examining options. I'd love to own a small condo in MSP and have a semi-permanent room situation in VA Beach. Then I could commute or not when I chose to and not be necessity. But it's a tough call financially.

But in the MSP vs. ORF match it's not even a contest.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    To the original question, a piece from Thomas Moser would look great and outlast us all: Bookcases : Thos. Moser

Oh yeah..Moser is really really great stuff; Handsome, Timeless, Pretty well-made. You may have to forego other status symbols..like meals or something...for awhile after purchasing a piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My folks bought some Moser stuff probably about 35 years ago now. Still remember making the trip up to the shop (no showrooms at that time). It still looks super nice. JK2K will need to skip the nice veloflex tubulars for a while and ride around on used Rubinos or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb View Post
    Heavy to whom? Nairo Quintano? The setup above may weigh about sixty five pounds and after one adds wood planks in order to keep books unmarred you're looking at maybe seventy five. All at a price that is one fiftieth the price of that bad ass Moser bookcase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast