User Tag List

Thread: Source for specific powder coat color??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Source for specific powder coat color??

First post here, my wheel builder turned me on to Velocipede!

I'm beginning the process of having a bike built (something I've been thinking of for quite some time). I found a color I want to use, Trek's Catalyst Orange # 429594. It has gold metalic in it. (originally I liked Prismatics "Brentwood Orange", but this is better) I've been looking around trying to find which powder it is. I found this article that describes Trek's powder system. From it it looks like they get their powder from Morton Powder Supply, in PA.

I called the number and just get the fax beep. I read further and Morton is Rohm-HAAS which is DOW so I can only guess the powder is AkzoNobel's Interpon.

I was wondering if anybody had experience matching colors for a Trek and could shed some light on my quest.

Many Thanks

Doug
    Last edited by dolitsky; 07-21-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Source for specific powder coat color??

Doug,

Is the Catalyst orange you are referring to the color used on the project 1 bikes? If so, this is a liquid paint, as powder is not utilized on carbon.

Trek's powder line is for it's mid range aluminum frames. From the small amount of investigation I've done, the only items used on this series in the catalyst orange designation are the accent decals.

rody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to talk you out of or into something you won't like, but I like to go to my powdercoater's shop and look at samples - often taking them out into the sunlight - before choosing. He has hundreds of 12"+ metal pieces that are really useful. He encourages me to take samples home if I am trying to get a color close to a car or whatever. I always come up with something unique that I wouldn't have thought of and that I have never seen on a bike before. Since the bike is custom, make it unlike anything else and all yours.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rody/Rich

yes the color is from the project series one bikes so I guess that ends my quest for which powder it is.

I've been to the powder coater and Have gotten a bunch of samples. So I guess Brentwood Orange it is!