User Tag List

Thread: Unexpected tourist: recs in Nashville?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Unexpected tourist: recs in Nashville?

I find myself as an unexpected tourist between Nashville and Chattanooga. Headed to the G ol' Opery today (first thing to come to mind). Will be here for a day or three...

Any recommendations in the area? History and local culture. Travel with my dad is always an adventure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Unexpected tourist: recs in Nashville?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    I find myself as an unexpected tourist between Nashville and Chattanooga. Headed to the G ol' Opery today (first thing to come to mind). Will be here for a day or three...

Any recommendations in the area? History and local culture. Travel with my dad is always an adventure!

I'm just South of Nashville and can give a few recommendations.

History: the usual places like Andrew Jackson's home (The Hermitage), John Overton's Travellers Rest Plantation, The Ryman (the real G ol' Opry), Lots of Civil War history to be found between Nashville and Franklin as well. Check out Centennial Park. You can't go in, but you can drive by the old Tennessee State Penitentiary. It's probably the most easily recognized movie star in town and it's just sitting there abandoned.

Local culture: Definitely take some time to walk around Broadway, Printers Alley, downtown after dark and see what's going on. It's pretty touristy, but it's pretty true to Nashville, unlike some touristy places like Gatlinburg. Nashville is a city of neighborhoods, so the feel changes a lot depending on what area you end up in.

Tons of food options. From hot chicken (Prince's) to haute chicken (Catbird Seat - though it's probably too late to get a seat). Cocktails (Patterson House - downstairs from Catbird Seat, highly recommended). Beer (lots of new craft breweries in town. Some of them even good!). Barbecue (honestly you're going to have to come to my neighborhood for that. Martin's BBQ in Nolensville. Get the smoked wings)

I'm not a native, but I'll never leave. Too much good about this city.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you would have given a heads up, you could have had a first hand tour of all things Nashville... But, since you didn't, it says between Nashville and Chattanooga. you must have come to town for Bonnarroo in Manchester..

History an Nashville , shit there has been a 1000 books on the subject. Just go Downtown, Robert's Western World, somewhere like that. Take in the Midwestern and Japanese tourist.. Walk around and take it all in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forks Drum Closet and the Loveless Cafe. Well, those are mostly for me.

Or the ruins of country music. Zing!
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acoustic/Bluegrass institution:

Station Inn

Monday-Friday meat & three:

http://www.hollyeats.com/images/South/Arnolds-Menu.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when? if you can be so pacific (i understand security issues)

I'm quite close to Bonnaroo locale, but i thinks they done had that. Yazoo is the brewery of choice in Nashville. Raccoon Mtn is the place to ride road and mtn, very near Choo Choo (Chattanooga).

otherwise i'd hunt up a Bluegrass festival or such. MTEMC magazine keeps a good listing-don't know if that's online (yes it's a utility company-cooperative of sorts).

oh, just re-read OP. hell you're probably back to the good java of the PNW by now. cheers.