Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conditioning for 'Cross

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Conditioning for 'Cross

I tried my first 'cross event last year and barely made it around one lap. Falling and mashing my hip and the first run-up didn't help matters, but mostly I ran out of gas. The intensity of going from stop to all-out and maintaining it was unlike any riding I normally do.

I'm looking for a few actionable (useful and practical for someone who works full time all week and then has family responsibilities) steps to take to increase my endurance so I don't run out of gas on the first lap. I have no delusions about being competitive, just want to stay on the course and have fun.

Should I, for example, limit my longer club rides and focus on going all out for a defined period of time? Should I hit the running track a couple of nights to build endurance on foot?

I know volumes are written about this and I'm not looking for a CTS consultation, just some practical tips that have served you well.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Conditioning for 'Cross

Short, hard efforts over threshold a couple of times per week will make more difference for cross than any club ride. Mix them up if you can - hill repeats on something that takes 30-60 seconds to climb, for example, and then the same efforts on a flat. Recovery periods need to be short to simulate the physiologic demands of a race.In a race, run the motor a little below threshold on the technical parts or to recover on easy flats. I just read a reasonably good article discussing cross pacing strategy in this month's Road magazine. As you said, there are volumes out there. However, to be simple, the training must match the demands of the event. However you want to fit it into your riding and life, find a way to ride at threshold with periodic bursts above for 45 minutes to an hour. If there are any cross practice races around you (Wednesday evenings in many areas) they are a great way to work on the specific fitness as well as technical skills. Finally, although I am no fan of the Carmichael empire, the training plans in his 'Time Crunched Cyclist' book work well for cross at a beginner to intermediate level. I have had some success (success being very modestly defined for me) with these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    What he said.
    Also, 45min is a long time to be going all out. Pace yourself a bit on that first lap. It is REALLY easy to just blow it up in the first 10 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typical cx practice workouts we've had last yr. were as follows:
    1. Layout 15 cones to form a decent course including get offs, dirt lot sliding and stairs.
    2. Start chasing each other for 15 or 20 mins. sit up and during the next 10 or 15 practice mount/re-mount
    3. Repeat #1
    4. Time Trial 1.5 miles to a second workout area and practice off camber riding and downhill remounts. for about 15 or 20 mins.
    5. 1 hrs. easy easy easy road cool down.

That's a he!! of a workout and we go all out when we are riding the cx portions.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 07-08-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride your bike more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Typical cx practice workouts we've had last yr. were as follows:
    1. Layout 15 cones to form a decent course including get offs, dirt lot sliding and stairs.
    2. Start chasing each other for 15 or 20 mins. sit up and during the next 10 or 15 practice mount/re-mount
    3. Repeat #1
    4. Time Trial 1.5 miles to a second workout area and practice off riding and downhill remounts. for about 15 or 20 mins.
    5. 1 hrs. easy easy easy road cool down.

That's a he!! of a workout and we go all out when we are riding the cx portions.
    3.5 hold back vomit in mouth.

Yup done that. Happy thoughts man. Not sure I'm going to have much of a cross season this year. But, if the stars align, I'm down for year 2 of Tuesday cross happenings. I'll bring barriers too. Big 'if' though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Ride your bike more.
    10-4 but I recognize that the "skills" needed to endure 5 hours are different from those needed for 45 minutes of hard-charging. It may just be that I don't have the chops or the time to train properly but I want to make some effort to try again.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all due respect to Jacques, cross is a discipline where simply riding more doesn't help. It's the opposite. Small volume, high intensity and specificity, and appropriate rest in between are the tickets. Takes less time than training for longer road events. Tons of junk miles just tire you out for the big efforts needed for training and racing cross.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    With all due respect to Jacques, cross is a discipline where simply riding more doesn't help. It's the opposite. Small volume, high intensity and specificity, and appropriate rest in between are the tickets. Takes less time than training for longer road events. Tons of junk miles just tire you out for the big efforts needed for training and racing cross.
    Sad and true for those of us who like to ride alot. Key factor for me last yr. was dialing in my bike setup during practice. Wouldn't you know it, the first race of the year was a sloppy course with sharp off camber muddy turns ;) Fortunately, I'd figured out how to rail those turns in practice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Sad and true for those of us who like to ride alot.
    +1. If only 6 hours of tempo made for a great pre-race warmup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's ride: 20' warm up. 60" on 60" off x 10. 5' recovery. 30" on 30" off x 8. 5' recovery. 60" on 60" off x 7. 5' recovery. 10' hard tempo. 10' cool down. Tasted vomit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    today's ride: 20' warm up. 60" on 60" off x 10. 5' recovery. 30" on 30" off x 8. 5' recovery. 60" on 60" off x 7. 5' recovery. 10' hard tempo. 10' cool down. Tasted vomit.
    nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of good plans here. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get some friends together and play follow the leader in a park. Trying to stick on the leaders wheel forces you to work on your accelerations because of the advantage they have of choosing the route. I would say you need a solid base foundation to stay strong the whole race, but with limited time something is better than nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short high intensity an ability to recover at 90-100 of your TT pace is key in cross. That plus skills practice. The best way to get better is to initially separate the two with hard intervals on one day and skills practice on another.

A favorite cross workout I do is 15 seconds at 180% FTP and 15 seconds at 90% FTP for 6 - 10 minutes. Rest equal time as first intervals and then do another. Don't neglect a little running and bike lifts so your roadie scrawny upper body get's used to picking up that bike over the barriers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I went with plan "D." Do nothing. It's pretty difficult to get motivated to train for what amounts to one race. Most of the races near me are a solid two + hour drive one-way (except for the one at Harriman yesterday) and 4 hours in the car is more than I'm willing to travel. I guess that makes me lazy. What little time I have for riding, I'd like it to be enjoyable. If I'm going to completely change up my riding, it would have to be for more than one event.

I appreciate the feedback though. The Time Crunched Cyclist, mentioned above, is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget the 3 Kreb Races and Supercross should it go off... That's 5 right here on the Island.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are the Krebs races listed? I've scoured Bike Reg and didn't see them, just the Eisenhower Park event.

....alright, maybe I'll work some intervals into the commute tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Krebs are the least promoted races... Frustrating. Website/facebook best bet.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    Krebs are the least promoted races... Frustrating. Website/facebook best bet.
    Frustrating indeed. Nothing on their website. I think I called them last year (or maybe year before) to ask and was told something like "we haven't decided yet." There was some issue with access to the park they usually use last year.

I sent them an email to see what's up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast