User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Southwest NM / AZ trip this Oct - recs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Southwest NM / AZ trip this Oct - recs?

Hey, gonna be heading to Albuquerque first part of October for some meetings. After that planning on renting a car and making my way to Phoenix to visit some old friends. Any recommendations on a good route to get there and things to see and do along the way? I have a pretty open itinerary after the meetings are over and would like to see some cool stuff in a part of the country I've never been before. What's cool and what's not worth the time? So far was thinking about wandering my way over to the Grand Canyon and staying there a couple days, doing some hiking and taking pics, etc. Any awesome day-hikes I should consider?

Thanks for any ideas you all might have. I'm super pumped about this trip. For a boy growing up in the Bluegrass I've always wanted to explore "out West".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Southwest NM / AZ trip this Oct - recs?

Just came through that general area with RAAM and am anxious to go back. I would say that The Red Rocks Canyon/Sedona area is an absolute must see, must ride. LR2013-06-13 08.24.42.jpg

Garro and others will know where to hike there.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visit Winslow and stay at La Posada. Designed by the great southwestern architect, Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter, in 1929. Very cool place. She also did a bunch of the buildings in the Grand Canyon park.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't have much advice on the drive besides recommending Santa Fe if you like art and a big +1 for Sedona.

I do live in Abq however, so feel free to PM if you need any tips on local rides/beers/food!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're at all interested in indigenous peoples, consider a trip out to Chaco Canyon. It's 3 hours out of ABQ but incredibly interesting.

Chaco Culture National Historical Park - Chaco Culture National Historical Park
    steve cortez

FNG