User Tag List

Thread: Training in the heat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Training in the heat

I went on a ride today in the middle of the day. I'll have to check weather.com, but I'm pretty sure it was about 130 degrees and 200% humidity. I felt lousy.

In the past, I've done interval workouts early in the day to avoid the summer heat. I have an "A priority" race coming up at the end of August. It's going to be hot. My event will be in the heat of the day.

My question is this: are there heat acclimatization benefits to doing interval training in the hottest parts of the day, or am I just risking heat stroke? I feel like I have a much harder time putting out power when it is very hot.

Is a combo appropriate? Perhaps interval training in the mornings and other rides done in the heat of the day to help my body become used to the heat?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Training in the heat

Do you have access to a sauna that you could use post training?
    Not for riding in- for sweating in. There is an adaptation protocol that might help.
    Let me know if you want to know more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have access to a sauna. Would a jaccuzi tub work?

Either way, I'd be interested to hear more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally wouldn't do high-output intervals during the peak heat. I think adapting to the heat just takes time, sort of like building up base miles. Not something that can be rushed. So long, medium-output rides probably do more to get your body to adapt than to try to force things along with intensity. Just remember to drink, drink, drink and if you feel like crap, stop. Driving yourself into the ground likely does more damage than good. I think when it comes to extreme heat, it's really more a case of surviving rather than thriving, but I grew up in the upper Midwest with rain & cold and not the desert, so what do I know? In the end, I think some people are just hard-wired for the heat and others are hard-wired for the cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to run with a guy from Macon, GA. If it wasn't in the 90s--both temp and humidity--he was cold. My first few hard rides in the heat always take some getting used to. I think you do need to train some intensity in the heat to get used to it. But I would weigh yourself before and after to gauge dehydration (I think >5% means you're in deep shit). Get your hydration dialed before that race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    I used to run with a guy from Macon, GA. If it wasn't in the 90s--both temp and humidity--he was cold. My first few hard rides in the heat always take some getting used to. I think you do need to train some intensity in the heat to get used to it. But I would weigh yourself before and after to gauge dehydration (I think >5% means you're in deep shit). Get your hydration dialed before that race.
    Good suggestion on weighing yourself.

Not sure what it means, but I find that on hot days I may weigh the same when I finish a ride as when I start, but despite the fact I drink a lot afterwards (water) after a few hours I've lost weight. (16 to 24 oz.) It usually bounces back by morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drink while you are riding. I suggest two bottles an hour even though at least one is the recommended amount. Make one sports drink. That works for me.

Your weather sounds like you live in Dallas. I am supposed to do a long ride this weekend, when the temps will be the highest this year, and the humidity is high due to lots of Gulf of Mexico moisture coming this way. I dread it, and I never complain about how cold it gets in winter.