Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limoncello - I want to make my own

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Limoncello - I want to make my own

You need Amalfi lemons, don't ask me why you just do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I describe limoncello to the unitiated I say "it's made with grain alcohol, lemons and sugar and it tastes like lemons, grain alcohol and sugar. There's no magic that happens."

Maybe I'm missing something. It's better if it's really cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amalfi lemons are definitely best, but other good organic lemons work well too. Just don't use the waxed ones from the grocery store. Use 100 proof good vodka as the 80 proof will freeze. Zest the lemons into ribbons - a microplane is too fine and it gets "muddy". About 12-15 lemons to a fifth vodka. Let sit 30-45 days and then add simple syrup and another fifth. Another 30-45 days and it's ready. I've done it this way for years and even the Italians I work with say it's as good as they're used to.

Nelson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    au contraire mon frere. Nothing could possibly be more American than this. If he feels any remorse, do that while Elk hunting and all sins are washed away.
    True story: same brother was interviewing with a 3 letter govt agency (or it might have been a 4 letter one, the navy has one of those) and they were on the polygraph portion. Question comes up "have you ever consumed illegal alcohol?". My bro kind of freaks out, mostly because he's not sure exactly what they are asking (under age? Moonshine? The absinthe they made in the student lab?). He gets to chuckle about it now, but he didn't get the job. Who knows if this influenced things.

Back to lemons: the best way to zest a ton of lemons is to take a high quality vegetable peeler, one that won't pick up pith, peel the yellow layer off, then finely slice. Way better than a zester.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you hand peel with a thin knife or use a banjo?

Quote Originally Posted by nortonnels View Post
    Amalfi lemons are definitely best, but other good organic lemons work well too. Just don't use the waxed ones from the grocery store. Use 100 proof good vodka as the 80 proof will freeze. Zest the lemons into ribbons - a microplane is too fine and it gets "muddy". About 12-15 lemons to a fifth vodka. Let sit 30-45 days and then add simple syrup and another fifth. Another 30-45 days and it's ready. I've done it this way for years and even the Italians I work with say it's as good as they're used to.

Nelson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12