Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Brand Guidelines"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default "Brand Guidelines"

Not to beat the dead horse of "branding"...

I recently spotted these articles of a set of designers releasing their work for Googles 'Visual Assets'. Basically, everything that governs Googles outward appearance graphically as a brand - I refer to these basically as "Brand Guidelines". But this is the sort of thing most don't get to see regarding the process of designing logos/icons, etc. But for someone like myself, this is the sort of thing that I do with many graphic projects, and what I will supply to certain clients to keep them on track if they have in house designers to maintain consistency of the overall brand appearance moving forward. It's a good look behind the curtain to see just how much thought goes into really tight, well thought out design (whether you like Google's design or not, it's a great insider look at the physical process):

Google Visual Assets Guide : Part 1

Google Visual Assets Guide : Part 2

And an article on the entire subject behind the two part guides above.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: "Brand Guidelines"

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    Not to beat the dead horse of "branding"...
    This was my personal Summer of '42 moment atmo -
    nbc atmo - - a set on Flickr
    A "close" pal led the 2-3 year project, and I benefited from it - eventually.
    The book, a standards manual for all at NBC, was the culmination reflecting
    a change from what the firm had to what was to replace it. Amazing for me
    to see what's behind the curtain, and watch it be created in real time. This
    all occurred in the mid 1980s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very cool Richard. I have rules too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi - Nice.
    PS This is what branding is to me, and what it represents. It's more about the design and graphic elements, and the cohesive system they are used within, than it is the blogging, the broadcasts, and all related e stuff. To this day, I have met fewer than 10 people (and that's charitable) in the niche who understand this. Anyway...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Hi - Nice.
    PS This is what branding is to me, and what it represents. It's more about the design and graphic elements, and the cohesive system they are used within, than it is the blogging, the broadcasts, and all related e stuff. To this day, I have met fewer than 10 people (and that's charitable) in the niche who understand this. Anyway...
    The visual component is surely important. Companies wisely devote great resources toward developing unique visual identities for their brand. But the "e stuff" is the evolution that's been enabled by technology. Companies can't just be sharply dressed, they have to make a communicative bond with their fans. The best do it with an authentic voice through Facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. Technology has given a voice to the consumer, companies either engage in that dialogue or miss a swiftly moving opportunity.

Look at Apple. They've been telling their fans that they don't need bigger screens on their iphones and are now losing share to Samsung (although, reports are leaking now that they're sending specs to vendors for a larger screened iphone).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 'cohesive system' is something we spent a lot of time focusing on in design school and it's a philosophy that applies to a lot more than branding.

They also taught us to do this thing called 'drawing' on with ink devices and pencils that somehow grew lead inside themselves. Strange times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    The visual component is surely important. <cut>
    Forgetting about "companies" for a while - atmo the ability to craft and disseminate information should adhere to the same standard that the design system does. That's what I find lacking. I also think (sense) people are in some mad rush to have a brand, but don't study, don't respect history, expect there's a app for it, and also don't have the actual product that matches their perception of the branding they want in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The word branding has been thrown around a lot and loosely. I agree with Richard: branding to me is literally the logo and nuts & bolts design elements of what makes up a company's visual representation. How that is applied, be it on a business card, website, blog, marketing material etc. has more to do with the cohesive story you attempt to bring to your customers and clients which reflect that brands ethos and is the designers job to apply that very same philosophy and process to the bigger picture when laying out the entire platform (know where you are, where you want to go and make a plan for how to get there).

Quote Originally Posted by prolix21 View Post
    They also taught us to do this thing called 'drawing' on with ink devices and pencils that somehow grew lead inside themselves. Strange times.
    This is not strange and often something that I get the perception that most think isn't utilized anymore. Many of my colleagues still use good old pencil and paper (including myself) and I know it's still being stressed and taught at my alma mater. Over the years, I've found it quicker to draw concepts with paper/pencil and hash out ideas very quickly than it is via a computer. And many times accompanying this process with physical sketch models. Any designer worth their salt can draw, draw well, draw often and not just on the computer. It's the language. But in contrast, knows what tools are appropriate for the task at hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thread. It's insightful to start out with the definitions like brand, the nuts and bolts, to better articulate what comes after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think (sense) people are in some mad rush to have a brand, but don't study, don't respect history, expect there's a app for it, and also don't have the actual product that matches their perception of the branding they want in the first place.
    Absolutely. And that's a whole 'nother conversation...branding can only be as good as the product. Sooner or later, people will see beyond the veneer if the product is lousy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgetting about "companies" for a while - atmo the ability to craft and disseminate information should adhere to the same standard that the design system does. That's what I find lacking. I also think (sense) people are in some mad rush to have a brand, but don't study, don't respect history, expect there's a app for it, and also don't have the actual product that matches their perception of the branding they want in the first place.
    Richard is there anything further to expand on this, I'm not understanding the history aspect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcdermid View Post
    Richard is there anything further to expand on this, I'm not understanding the history aspect.
    History is everything that happened before you (one) show(s) up. If you arrive with the idea that
    there may be some commerce to be had, you'd be better off knowing how we got here atmo.
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 06-13-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: gramma'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

know where you are, where you want to go and make a plan for how to get there.
    Regarding "history", the above self quote is preceded with a heavy understanding of "where you have been" so it should read:

Know where you've been, know where you are, know where you want to go and make a plan for how to get there.

...and better to rework the plan when it's not working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding "history", the above self quote is preceded with a heavy understanding of "where you have been" so it should read:

Know where you've been, know where you are, know where you want to go and make a plan for how to get there.

...and better to rework the plan when it's not working.
    And know where the industry and sport have been before your arrival atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And know where the industry and sport have been before your arrival atmo.
    Yes, "you" being in the allegorical sense as well as the literal. Knowing ones past as well as the industry/sport is important for your process and paths progression, but not necessarily to be worn as a set of chains which do not allow for you to carve out something entirely new. Otherwise you could be sentenced to regurgitation of trend - I don't see this either as a bad thing in the beginning as it is indeed a cathartic process to go through the steps to become acquainted with the processes as a whole. But somewhere along the way, you need to make things your own. But again, that can only happen with repetition and honing of craft over time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, "you" being in the allegorical sense as well as the literal. Knowing ones past as well as the industry/sport is important for your process and paths progression, but not necessarily to be worn as a set of chains which do not allow for you to carve out something entirely new. Otherwise you could be sentenced to regurgitation of trend - I don't see this either as a bad thing in the beginning as it is indeed a cathartic process to go through the steps to become acquainted with the processes as a whole. But somewhere along the way, you need to make things your own. But again, that can only happen with repetition and honing of craft over time.
    Oh - yeah, agreed. I am not suggesting a past has to be mirrored, mimicked, or adhered to. But
    it is a valuable tool to have in your arsenal. Using the tool judiciously is up to the cat swinging it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your avatar requires more negative space to adhere to your rules...you should let TT know.

Just kidding, I love viewing companies branding rules, it helps me to understand why I relate subconsciously to certain material, and what the provider of said material wants me to believe about them. In your case...well it makes me want to buy a bike from you. Your branding is simple and detailed. You don't allow a lot of variety in your logos or presentation which, to me, mirrors your focus on what you do well as a builder. Much like your limited color pallet you have decided ahead of time who you are and what you do. You aren't running around trying to please every customer, you are attempting to "create" your ideal customer. Someone who wants and respects what you do, and what you do well. It is no wonder that you and e-RICHIE seem to get along so well. Like Zanc, Hampsten, Winter and others on this board...you are who you are, and that will be rewarded by those who like what you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XJBaylor View Post
    Your avatar requires more negative space to adhere to your rules...you should let TT know.
    Nice. I'll get on top of that! Seriously though, often times you set out "rules" and certain ones have more leniency than others (i.e. spacing requirements). That's just so someone doesn't cram all kinds of logos on top of each other when placing them say in an ad/poster with many others as sponsors or doesn't slam my logo up against text without giving the reader some visual white space for the eye to rest (not that there has been any pressing need for any of this). I know all too well how that can be jumbled up with "more is better". The guidelines are there so some yahoo doesn't go scaling, or taking it upon themselves to skew something or make changes that literally changes the logo. I've dealt with this regarding web developers sometimes with logos I've created where they'll break apart elements and not understand when I tell them "That is NOT the logo". But it also is liberating to set up those restrictions early on and work within the parameters to build that cohesive story. I know it's really helped me and was a good process to treat myself like a client when creating all the logos and such. It made the process a lot easier.

I'm hoping clients inquire about additional paint colors. It would be great to see more color in the builds. But it is what it is at this point and I'm ok with that. I've always appreciated those rusty hot rods where there's a patina on the outside with no 'glam' to it all but you pop the hood and it's a whole other story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Band/Style Guides are awesome.

I work for distribution company here in Canada, we get these from some of our brands and it makes life 10,000 better for keeping things looking crisp, sharp and constant. When a shop wants to use the brands logos for an ad or in-store promo we can send the style guide along and they have the resource to make it look good.

We've also had a designed design a web store for us and he's laid out a clean guide for me. I am but a hack at indeisn/photoshop/illustrator, I can cut n paste things following his guides and use a few templates to make stuff look pro.

It's easy to see when a brand has strong designers working for them once you've seen behind the curtain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_1470.JPGIMG_1467.JPGIMG_1463.JPGIMG_1074.JPGIMG_0924.JPGIMG_1117.JPGIMG_1073.JPGIMG_0921.JPGIMG_1171.JPG
    Branding comes right before vaccination, de-horning, tick removal, casteration and ear tags.
    Ooops, that's cattle - my bad.......
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast