Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Photography Frustrations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Photography Frustrations

I just had the most infuriating experience.

Got home from work and sat down to develop two rolls of film so I could give my high school girlfriend her graduation present - a photo of her that I took during a visit to Santa Cruz. Realized that I'd used the last of my XTOL a couple weeks back so I headed off to the local photo outfit for some more.

They were out of stock of chemistry, but offered to develop the film for me. I told them it was Kodak Tri-X, black and white. They said, "yeah, no problem."

Went back the next day to collect my photos and there were my envelopes with "BLANK" written on them in sharpie. My heart sank...they pushed them through the C41 developer and the bleach completely ruined the film.

And to add insult to injury, the kid behind the counter charged me for the service. After half an hour with the manager, who blamed me for not saying the rolls were black and white, I left $24 poorer and furious.

Seriously, is it that hard to push a couple rolls of Tri-X?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Photography Frustrations

that stinks. if the envelopes were blank, why'd you give them a cent? couldn't you have walked out empty handed and been $24 richer? if you paid with a cc, you should dispute the charge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

idiots
    but yr not the first

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    that stinks. if the envelopes were blank, why'd you give them a cent? couldn't you have walked out empty handed and been $24 richer? if you paid with a cc, you should dispute the charge.
    Good question. They gave my blank rolls of film and demanded that I pay because they performed a "service."

Being a teenage bike racer and not a varsity quarterback, I guess I let myself get bullied into it, which is my own weak-willed problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats really unfortunate. You really have to find a lab you like, the good ones haven't charged me if there were images that did not come out. I shot e6 for a bit and went back to shooting c41 when i got frustrated with labs (and cost). I recently found a great lab and the e6/c41 process costs the same, and they do high res scans for a total of 16 bucks or so with processing, so I have been shooting a mix of film.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drietz View Post
    Good question. They gave my blank rolls of film and demanded that I pay because they performed a "service."

Being a teenage bike racer and not a varsity quarterback, I guess I let myself get bullied into it, which is my own weak-willed problem.
    I would write some bad reviews online, it was a clear case of them not caring about the customer and there property, they might send you a refund.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel for you. I caught a thunderstorm illuminated by the setting sun between Half Dome and North Dome on my Mamiya 7. Nailed it.

The lab had an accident and cooked all the slide film from that trip. At least they didn't charge me.

From then on I sent everything to Edgar Praus in Rochester NY (Praus Productions Inc. [4photolab.com]). I'm sure there are other good labs, but the one that cooked the film *was* one of the other good labs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. You should write a yelp review, see if anyone contacts you.

Otherwise you need to talk to the manager and be firm.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

brah,

Next time just mail the rolls to me. I'll do em for good karma.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a bunch of short-sighted idiots. A young customer who still uses wet film - how many of those can they still have around?

You'd think they'd do everything in their power to keep you coming back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    What a bunch of short-sighted idiots. A young customer who still uses wet film - how many of those can they still have around?

You'd think they'd do everything in their power to keep you coming back.
    Doesnt seem that far from normal to me. A lot of developing shops seem crabby towards young people, especially if you dont know everything about all the entire process or dare ask prices (college kids generally cant afford 28 bucks to get a roll and some 4x5's, I will to find the cheapest way). I usually feel like I was walking in to some fraternity, and it sucks, makes me enjoy film less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not going to say this is another reason why film is dead but it is.
    ( i know some folks like film, not my argument )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Film will always have its place, just not for the 99+% of punters out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    im not going to say this is another reason why film is dead but it is.
    ( i know some folks like film, not my argument )
    it will always be alive, but it will be a small art market, just like print will be (although I imagine print will stay bigger) and thats seems fine with me. You have to really want it to use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like somebody mentioned, I've increasingly discovered that film photography, to many, becomes like one of those secret brotherhoods you hear about at Ivy Leagues.

I have no issue developing my own film, have been doing it since middle school. Next time I guess I'll just wait for the chemistry to be re-stocked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwayne's is one of the best places in the country to send film to and avoid morons with machines. Okay, so you have to wait, but that's better than blank film.

B&H in NYC pretty much has whatever. Their shipping rates are pretty good. They carry Xtol and Eco-Pro, which is a non-hydroquinone equivalent to Xtol. My favorite is HC-110, which they also stock but won't ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Dwayne's is one of the best places in the country to send film to and avoid morons with machines. Okay, so you have to wait, but that's better than blank film.

B&H in NYC pretty much has whatever. Their shipping rates are pretty good. They carry Xtol and Eco-Pro, which is a non-hydroquinone equivalent to Xtol. My favorite is HC-110, which they also stock but won't ship.
    I wish there was a service that would just upload the scans online, cd's are a waste, then they could take there time sending the film back. Do you know what the resolution they scan at is? 4.5 mb could mean anything. there prices are very good, I'll have to give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    I wish there was a service that would just upload the scans online, cd's are a waste, then they could take there time sending the film back. Do you know what the resolution they scan at is? 4.5 mb could mean anything. there prices are very good, I'll have to give it a shot.
    Give them a call. They are nice people. I am guessing it is 300dpi. There might be a way to transfer to an FTP or DropBox. I have also used DR5 Chrome in the past, but entirely for Agfa Scala processing. I am surprised to see they are still in business, so they must do a lot of other things now.

Anyone dealing in film should know Photographer's Formulary. Even when all the Kodak stuff runs out, Photographer's Formulary will be mixing their own versions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Film still looks better.....I can't believe they blamed you for not telling them it was B&W! the rolls should have been clearly marked Tri-EX that is their mistake as a lab no argument.
    PM me your address and I'll send you two rolls and when you shoot them take False_aesthetic up on his offer he's a good guy.
    -Eric
    Eric S. Zimmerman
    Zimmerman Bicycle works
    and Cinematography
    zimmermancamera@gmail
    check out the work here
    www.ericzimmerman.me