Thread: Porsche

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Porsche

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-91...ssic-992-2023/

You can go for the full manual 911 Sport Classic ducktail which is being put out in a limited run of 1250 by Porsche Heritage division early next year.

These look nice but don't come cheap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have more miles on this this year than on my bike. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing :) It makes driving any road car on the track a moot point.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice lap! I've caught the track bug also, albeit at a more modest level of equipment (718CS). I've retired, so this new obsession is not incompatible with my cycling fortunately! How did you find it going from a street car directly into a Cup Car? I've been moving up the ranks in the car, but waiting until I'm at a black/red level until I take the plunge into a full on race car. Thinking that a GTB1 Cayman would be ideal for me. Are you planning on bringing the Cup car to the States at any time?
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Nice lap! I've caught the track bug also, albeit at a more modest level of equipment (718CS). I've retired, so this new obsession is not incompatible with my cycling fortunately! How did you find it going from a street car directly into a Cup Car? I've been moving up the ranks in the car, but waiting until I'm at a black/red level until I take the plunge into a full on race car. Thinking that a GTB1 Cayman would be ideal for me. Are you planning on bringing the Cup car to the States at any time?
    It does turn into an obsession fairly quickly :)

I started on the Cup in Feb with cold track and cold tires, makes for a tough learning curve ! But the thing is that no street car is really made for the track, it's pretty obvious once you are in a real race car. The Cup is not that hard to drive "slowly" but your brain needs some serious re-wiring in order to push it. The brakes, the slicks, the cornering speed is mind boggling at first. To give a reference once I drove my 997RS back on the track after the Cup it felt like a toy. The other thing is that you can beat the Cup car lap after lap after lap in 35C hot weather and well it works... Finally once you are past the noise level, know how the tires and brakes work it really feels a lot safer.....

If you have the track bug a Cayman Cup seems to be a great move ! They are much easier to drive than the Cup with the mid engine and the maintenance is cheaper because of PDK vs Sequential straight cut gears in the Cup. I would not wait.
    Last edited by Lionel; 10-03-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and no I am not planing to bring the Cup to the US. Seems at home here, I live 45min away from the Paul Ricard track where the car is kept. I plan to start traveling to other tracks next year (Barcelona, Le Mans, Magny Cours, Spa, Monza maybe).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next stop: Nürburgring.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Next stop: Nürburgring.
    Bringing the Cup to the Nurburgring could be quite challenging in terms of logistics as well as running it there. I have never been but hear that there is quite a lot of traffic etc... So probably not in the cards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    It does turn into an obsession fairly quickly :)

I started on the Cup in Feb with cold track and cold tires, makes for a tough learning curve ! But the thing is that no street car is really made for the track, it's pretty obvious once you are in a real race car. The Cup is not that hard to drive "slowly" but your brain needs some serious re-wiring in order to push it. The brakes, the slicks, the cornering speed is mind boggling at first. To give a reference once I drove my 997RS back on the track after the Cup it felt like a toy. The other thing is that you can beat the Cup car lap after lap after lap in 35C hot weather and well it works... Finally once you are past the noise level, know how the tires and brakes work it really feels a lot safer.....

If you have the track bug a Cayman Cup seems to be a great move ! They are much easier to drive than the Cup with the mid engine and the maintenance is cheaper because of PDK vs Sequential straight cut gears in the Cup. I would not wait.
    Thanks, excellent advice and perspective. I am in love with the mid-engine platform and PDK it's nice to keep running costs down. Probably one more season in the modified street car for me. In the meanwhile, I will live vicariously through you. Keep posting here and on Rennlist!
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, excellent advice and perspective. I am in love with the mid-engine platform and PDK it's nice to keep running costs down. Probably one more season in the modified street car for me. In the meanwhile, I will live vicariously through you. Keep posting here and on Rennlist!
    I would start putting feelers out to find the race car. It's not that easy :) Also budget for consommables and maintenance :) This makes cycling look like a dirt cheap hobby.

My next track day is Friday. I'm also starting to get the hitch to race a bit, which I was not expecting :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and no I am not planing to bring the Cup to the US. Seems at home here, I live 45min away from the Paul Ricard track where the car is kept. I plan to start traveling to other tracks next year (Barcelona, Le Mans, Magny Cours, Spa, Monza maybe).
    Jealous and happy for you, Lionel, when this plan starts to happen. Will be interesting to read how you feel about tracks with significant elevation changes.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would start putting feelers out to find the race car. It's not that easy :) Also budget for consommables and maintenance :) This makes cycling look like a dirt cheap hobby.

My next track day is Friday. I'm also starting to get the hitch to race a bit, which I was not expecting :)
    Yes, I have a good pipeline to cars as my mechanic builds and turns over a fair number of P race cars, especially Spec Boxsters and Caymans. There's also racecartsforyou.com, the PCA network, etc. I also have some friends in nice cars with bigger ambitions than I have - one friend in particular has a hotted up 987.2 Cayman R. I might pick that up when he gets the Cup Car itch. Consumables, maintenance, track time and travel costs have been factored in. Fortunately, I have a great wife who is happy to see me enjoying myself after being locked up at work for 40 years! Six more track days this year, three of them at Summit Point Main next weekend. Looking forward to it.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know very little about all this, but this is my friend's shop...poke around if you are interested.

BTW he's a pretty avid cyclist as well.

https://demanmotorsport.com

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I know very little about all this, but this is my friend's shop...poke around if you are interested.

SPP
    You have friends in VERY high places in the Porsche world! Everyone knows and respects DeMan in the Porsche sphere. Really enjoyed the website. Thanks for sharing.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SPP
    If you also catch the bug it looks like you are covered !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SPP
    Why does $87K for this seem not so horrible? Do I not know enough?

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's probably just below original MSRP for this car and correct present pricing as used. This year is the 2.5 cylinder turbo 4 GTS; I didn't look closely to see if there was a build sheet but this would be MSRP plus/minus a couple percent for a lightly optioned GTS 2.5, which this appears to be. They have retained full value while the 6 cylinder GTS 4.0 (starting 2020), the GT4, Spyder and all 911 variants are all selling well above MSRP even with a reasonable number of miles on them. The used car market is insane, and this is particularly true in the Porsche sports car segment where new allocations are difficult to come by. My car at 4 1/2 years old and 32k miles is worth close to what I paid for it.

They are incredible cars - mine (a 718S - the car you see above in a different color with a slightly smaller turbocharger and 15 less hp) has been flawless in every way. Practical enough to commute, fun for weekend drives, and a little beast on the track (only minor front suspension mods). Porsche purists decry the flat 4 turbo (used by Porsche to meet emission and displacement standards in their huge China market), but the torque comes on so quickly that naturally aspirated flat six 981s and 987s (and even GT4s depending on driver) disappear in the rear view mirror on track out to a straight. Fun little car. Will keep it after I transition to a proper race car. The 987.2 R on the DeMan site is exactly what I'm looking for, but timing not good for me this year.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Why does $87K for this seem not so horrible? Do I not know enough?
    Perfect car for Claudia to run to the local supermarket with.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect car for Claudia to run to the local supermarket with.

SPP
    Clear the roads!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I have a good pipeline to cars as my mechanic builds and turns over a fair number of P race cars, especially Spec Boxsters and Caymans. There's also racecartsforyou.com, the PCA network, etc. I also have some friends in nice cars with bigger ambitions than I have - one friend in particular has a hotted up 987.2 Cayman R. I might pick that up when he gets the Cup Car itch. Consumables, maintenance, track time and travel costs have been factored in. Fortunately, I have a great wife who is happy to see me enjoying myself after being locked up at work for 40 years! Six more track days this year, three of them at Summit Point Main next weekend. Looking forward to it.
    Lou, the gent who runs this is relatively close to us both. I've had nothing but good experiences getting help and buy/sell here: https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/index.php