Thread: Porsche

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    This is what I would do, but Cayman / 911. Is there a significant cost of ownership difference? Or does the Porsche parts catalog treat all models the same?
    If you buy CPO from a dealer, they come with 2 year/unlimited mile warranty. Not sure whether you're shopping recent used, new, or older Caymans. 997.2 will not have CPO because it's beyond the time limit. CPO is a great deal if you're shopping for one year off lease trades, as it adds two years to factory warranty and has unlimited miles. So you effectively get a five year unlimited mile warranty.

My experience with Porsche (and everyone else in my orbit) has been fantastic. Zero issues. Parts cost roughly similar for those two models... ie, a set of brakes is more than brakes for a Honda, but you're getting the performance and the stuff lasts as expected. Maybe a fuzz higher for the 911, but not enough to really worry about I would think. A flat six Cayman is going to be a higher spec model, so parts cost isn't the same as the 4 cylinder models.

The dealer service groups are very good, from my experience. IE - typically at a Honda or Ford store, some of the entry level techs leave something to be desired. The Porsche techs have all been very respectful, good communication, fantastic service. Same with independents, most of them are enthusiasts who care about the cars... the cars aren't an appliance to them.

997.2 is naturally aspirated so you don't have the question marks of turbos. I believe that generation also had the bore scoring issues sorted out. 997.2 also fixed the IMS bearing issue.

Don't let parts cost/ownership cost drive your decision on a splurge purchase... if you're thinking about parts cost when you drive it, you'll be miserable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience with German cars is that if you maintain them in accordance with the timing of the service manual intervals you’ll be good. Obviously, you could shorten those intervals but I wouldn’t extend them. My Mark V GTI was a blast to drive and never stranded me and was generally efficient to own and operate, if not as inexpensive as a Honda.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    You could not be more wrong about this. So much so that I would have to spend hours writing a tome of explanation. I'll use that time to ride or drive instead.

And yes, the KG is a very cool car.
    After September 11 the Times ran obituaries for every person who died in the collapse. Countless began, "he loved his 911."

But the one I will never forget was the woman who worked at Cantor Fitzgerald. Day one, her newly minted Harvard MBA notwithstanding, her boss told her to take a pair of his shoes to be shined. She had them bronzed.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    If you buy CPO from a dealer, they come with 2 year/unlimited mile warranty. Not sure whether you're shopping recent used, new, or older Caymans. 997.2 will not have CPO because it's beyond the time limit. CPO is a great deal if you're shopping for one year off lease trades, as it adds two years to factory warranty and has unlimited miles. So you effectively get a five year unlimited mile warranty.

My experience with Porsche (and everyone else in my orbit) has been fantastic. Zero issues. Parts cost roughly similar for those two models... ie, a set of brakes is more than brakes for a Honda, but you're getting the performance and the stuff lasts as expected. Maybe a fuzz higher for the 911, but not enough to really worry about I would think. A flat six Cayman is going to be a higher spec model, so parts cost isn't the same as the 4 cylinder models.

The dealer service groups are very good, from my experience. IE - typically at a Honda or Ford store, some of the entry level techs leave something to be desired. The Porsche techs have all been very respectful, good communication, fantastic service. Same with independents, most of them are enthusiasts who care about the cars... the cars aren't an appliance to them.

997.2 is naturally aspirated so you don't have the question marks of turbos. I believe that generation also had the bore scoring issues sorted out. 997.2 also fixed the IMS bearing issue.

Don't let parts cost/ownership cost drive your decision on a splurge purchase... if you're thinking about parts cost when you drive it, you'll be miserable.
    Thanks for the details. I’m not actually shopping for these cars now, just curious. Dad’s ownership of multiple Audis years ago taught me about the independent shop that’s staffed front to back with enthusiasts, and takes great care of the car and customer. I’ve had a soft spot for German car culture ever since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...orsche-911-st/

The Porsche 911 S/T Heritage Model celebrating it's 60 yr anniversary floats my boat. The price doesn't float my boat, but I like the car.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911/911-st/911-st/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ yes that thing is lovely. 2 spots, that and an Alfaholics product next to it, all good.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...orsche-911-st/

The Porsche 911 S/T Heritage Model celebrating it's 60 yr anniversary floats my boat. The price doesn't float my boat, but I like the car.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911/911-st/911-st/
    Unobtanium even if you have the cash. Allocations going to VIPs who have spent millions at the dealership and even then there are six digit ADMs. I love Porsche but the halo cars don't exist for mere mortals.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

This post is helpful. I am focused on the 911 997.2 but am open to a Boxster S/Cayman S with the flat six. I am aware of the service cost. We do have a good independent Porsche shop close by.

Can’t wait to find the car that meets my requirements!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Thanks for the details. I’m not actually shopping for these cars now, just curious. Dad’s ownership of multiple Audis years ago taught me about the independent shop that’s staffed front to back with enthusiasts, and takes great care of the car and customer. I’ve had a soft spot for German car culture ever since.
    Yep, Like a good dentist... once you find one, pay them what they want and get it done right! With Porsche, the dealers I have worked with (two of them), the dealer service guys are all enthusiasts also and similar to independents. They've been great.

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Unobtanium even if you have the cash. Allocations going to VIPs who have spent millions at the dealership and even then there are six digit ADMs. I love Porsche but the halo cars don't exist for mere mortals.
    Kinda. Allocations of ownership go to no one... https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistai...ne-year-lease/

It's deep into F car money at that point... illogical to me (and I really like Porsches). There are brokers out there with configurable 911 S/T's available, but I would expect $50k broker fee + $250K ADM + 12mo lease, then MSRP buy at the end of the lease. I bet it's still profitable... as Ferris said, if you have the means. Ford did a similar scheme with the first release of the new GT.

Quote Originally Posted by gggross View Post
    This post is helpful. I am focused on the 911 997.2 but am open to a Boxster S/Cayman S with the flat six. I am aware of the service cost. We do have a good independent Porsche shop close by.

Can’t wait to find the car that meets my requirements!
    Drive 'em! Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local home in Monterey with an architect’s shingle out front has a Cayman under a cover. All I can see is the rear plate that says FLAT 6S