Thread: Porsche

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I sat in a base Cayman yesterday. It was pretty premium in terms of fit and finish! Many boxes ticked but many were things like fancy wheels and painted body panels and the painted spoiler, which looks nice but is something I’d pass on. As mentioned, I’d get handling stuff. PASM, Chrono package and the locking diff. One of the few aesthetic boxes I’d check would be the sport exhaust tips, because the single exhaust tip on the base Cayman is really embarrassingly ugly! And I might splurge for nicer-than-base wheels and painted black. But I also live in Chicagoland with potholes, so maybe more sidewall would pay off. I’d also get the manual sport seats and a Bose sound system. Because I like music. And sports seats but I wouldn’t get electric seats or memory seats or any of that junk. Or body colored valve covers with the Porsche crest…….
    Get PDLS+ if it's available. It's amazing. Cars without these headlights disappoint me now. The swiveling lights work very, very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Very nice proposed spec on the Cayman. You're hitting all the good stuff. They offered the 'T' last year as a discounted package with the base engine and all of the handling goodies and Sport Chrono. Not available now but your spec is close. One note about the Bose - the cabin is a noisy place and the upgrade may not be worth it. Test drive and judge for yourself. Some people unplug fuse 10 - the Soundaktor - a diaphragm that resonates engine noise - to quiet the interior.

Just for the heck of it, I looked at the Miata configurator. Holy crap - you can configure a nice Miata for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a Cayman! Even though Porsche is religion with me and i worship at the altar of horsepower and torque, I am even more impressed with the MX-5 now.
    If I go Mazda I’d get the simplest soft top. I really like the manual operation and was turned off by the “it’s all electronic” voice at the Boxster store yesterday when asking about the top operation of that vehicle. I was hoping it was a pure manual but it’s not. If I go Porsche it’s likely a hard top.

The sales reps at the Porsche store are in a pickle I’m afraid. Not sure which line to straddle. They’re charged will representing all their cars from the entry level Cayman that I’m looking for to the pocket change rest that others desire. It’s a balancing act and I think I’m my own best representative there, which is why I’m enquiring here for the experience of those who have gone before me. We’ll see what, if anything, happens.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL the answer is always Miata. Yeah they are all that on an autocross course or playing the momentum game at track but maaaan they have no soul.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    LOL the answer is always Miata. Yeah they are all that on an autocross course or playing the momentum game at track but maaaan they have no soul.
    Found out these are sold in the USA apparently. Engine is a ford so I guess it can be taken care of in any Ford dealer.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim, if you proceed here, I’ll be curious to see how difficult it would be to order or obtain a base level Cayman with the specific options you want?

My recent research and experience indicates that the lowest price version of most cars is basically impossible to buy these days. The cheapest Miata’s available around these parts have thousands of dollars of questionable-utility options for example.
    my name is Matt

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably already know, but this is the last year for the Boxster before it goes EV. Getting an allocation for a 'spec your own' Porsche Boxster/Cayman is very difficult these days and it's near impossible to order any of the twenty three 911 variants in most places without prior relationship with dealer. Most 911s and Boxster/Cayman GTS 4.0 and GT4/Spyder come with an added dealer margin (i.e. ADM, premium over MSRP). GT cars are completely unobtainable new and are their own strange economy. Even six year old models used heavily on track sell over MSRP. However, a new base Cayman, if you can get a slot, should be an MSRP car in the current market.

There are many reasons for this strange Porsche economy and they are beaten to death on the Porsche forums. If OK to refer to other websites, checkout the Rennlist 718 subforum and 718forum.com for the full story. While a dealer will be civil to you as a walk-in, don't count 100% on being able to order.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[snip]

There are many reasons for this strange Porsche economy and they are beaten to death on the Porsche forums. If OK to refer to other websites, checkout the Rennlist 718 subforum and 718forum.com for the full story. While a dealer will be civil to you as a walk-in, don't count 100% on being able to order.
    So when did Rolex buy Porsche ?
    Can you trade delivery slots between Rolex & Porsche ?
    Can I get a Cayman with white Daytona dials ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably already know, but this is the last year for the Boxster before it goes EV. Getting an allocation for a 'spec your own' Porsche Boxster/Cayman is very difficult these days and it's near impossible to order any of the twenty three 911 variants in most places without prior relationship with dealer. Most 911s and Boxster/Cayman GTS 4.0 and GT4/Spyder come with an added dealer margin (i.e. ADM, premium over MSRP). GT cars are completely unobtainable new and are their own strange economy. Even six year old models used heavily on track sell over MSRP. However, a new base Cayman, if you can get a slot, should be an MSRP car in the current market.

The dealership indicated I could order a standard or an S but the 4.0 would be tough, which was their words for “very unlikely to impossible”. The 4.0 GTS is very interesting for a lot of reasons but all the reviews I’ve seen indicate that it virtually can’t be enjoyed on US roads but a driver is at go-to-jail speeds in second gear. It’s an Autobahn car or a track car for most drivers. The standard 2.0 could be enjoyed on public roads it would seem.

I asked about the process and the salesman indicated that we can build it or I can come in with a build code, drop a $5K check and they send it to Porsche.

We’ll see. Also, I’m not looking at this as an investment. Cars almost never are anyway, but I want something I can enjoy for myself. If I am able to do it and follow through with it it will be ordered the I want it, not the way I envision a future buyer might want it. I have to wait until the 20th to do anything official anyway.

I may contact the sales guy today again.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my 2013 Golf R remapped and now it really works. Better mpg too.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to hear you have access to an allocation. Your base Cayman can get you in jail pretty quickly too! It will just take 1/2 second more than the S or GTS.

The GTS 4.0 is mostly appreciated for the aesthetics of the naturally aspirated flat 6 engine - sound, redline, tradition, 'soul'. It actually takes a while to develop torque while the turbo 4s in the base and S make peak torque at 1900 rpm and sustain it up to redline (7600). The Boxster GTS 4.0 niche is as a weekend cars for traditionalists who dislike turbochargers.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to hear you have access to an allocation. Your base Cayman can get you in jail pretty quickly too! It will just take 1/2 second more than the S or GTS.

The GTS 4.0 is mostly appreciated for the aesthetics of the naturally aspirated flat 6 engine - sound, redline, tradition, 'soul'. It actually takes a while to develop torque while the turbo 4s in the base and S make peak torque at 1900 rpm and sustain it up to redline (7600). The Boxster GTS 4.0 niche is as a weekend cars for traditionalists who dislike turbochargers.
    I was actually surprised that the base Cayman is only a small amount slower to 60 than the 4.0. I’d bet the difference is from 60-120 and the S or the 4.0 would be pulling away pretty hard. But I don’t go there. When I had my GTI I had it at highly illegal speeds twice, once in rural Wisconsin on a Sunday morning with nobody around and the other time in Oklahoma with nobody in sight in any direction for 10 miles. It felt just fine at Autobahn speeds.

The point is I think it would be a fun regular driver for my life. I’m not going to play Michael Schumacher at the track or on the public roads.

The salesman didn’t indicate getting an allocation would be difficult but who knows what reality is like if I actually am serious on the 20th. If it turned into a hassle, the Mazda dealership is only a mile and a half from my house.

Anyway, the 4.0 is in a price category where I won’t go. I’d like to keep this as affordable as possible and that means Cayman with some options and no more. I still need to be able to sleep at night.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 02-08-2024 at 09:37 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a fun vehicle without going too fast you should just buy a modern Morgan threewheeler.

You already have an absurdly fast enough boring car with the Tesla, you don't need another one. You need to reduce the tires width, not increase it.

Last edited by sk_tle; 02-08-2024 at 10:24 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw one of those on the road a year or so ago.

My Model Y is faster than the Porsche Cayman. Speed isn’t what I’m after. That Morgan doesn’t come with Apple Car Play or Amazon Alexa or Google mapping so I can’t even start down that path.

A real possibility is that I do nothing but I have reached a major career goal recently and sometimes we do fun things. Not sure if that will be a car or not. It surely won’t be a Morgan or Caterham in any case. Maybe it’ll be nothing.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 02-08-2024 at 10:31 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you fit in a BRZ or Toyota 86? It's something else to think about if Miata is on your radar. Cars that you can drive the wheels off at sane legalish speeds have a lot going for them. The 2.4L engine that's been around for a a few years helped a lot torque-wise - but honestly even the old 2.0L ones are a ball the throw around.

You can also fold the back seat down and stuff a bike in the back. If you aren't driving on the track the regular model will work (but perhaps chase own some better brake pads and fluid). You'll want the TS if you plan to track it regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Do you fit in a BRZ or Toyota 86? It's something else to think about if Miata is on your radar. Cars that you can drive the wheels off at sane legalish speeds have a lot going for them. The 2.4L engine that's been around for a a few years helped a lot torque-wise - but honestly even the old 2.0L ones are a ball the throw around.

You can also fold the back seat down and stuff a bike in the back. If you aren't driving on the track the regular model will work (but perhaps chase own some better brake pads and fluid). You'll want the TS if you plan to track it regularly.
    I haven’t looked at those but I’m aware of them thru YT videos. Another car of interest is the Toyota Supra but honestly, I’d rather have the Cayman.

But yes, I am aware of the Toyota and Subaru options. They definitely seem to be a lot of sports car for not too much money.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new Macan EV is faster 0 - 60 than the current GT3. As are many EVs. In fact, some civilian EVs are quicker 0- 60 than an F1 car. That does not make them sports cars any more than a fat guy on an E-bike is a better cyclist than MVdP.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new Macan EV is faster 0 - 60 than the current GT3. As are many EVs. In fact, some civilian EVs are quicker 0- 60 than an F1 car. That does not make them sports cars any more than a fat guy on an E-bike is a better cyclist than MVdP.
    This is correct. My Y is pretty quick. It's also pretty soulless. That doesn't make it useless but it's not a sports car.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would get a Nissan Z before the Supra, but mainly because I think the new one is drop dead gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    This is correct. My Y is pretty quick. It's also pretty soulless. That doesn't make it useless but it's not a sports car.
    Agreed. I have no problem with EVs, just the circumstance where the acceleration capability gets conflated with overall sporting competence.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I would get a Nissan Z before the Supra, but mainly because I think the new one is drop dead gorgeous.
    I’ve thought that the Toyota 86 may be the closest thing to the 280z that my parents had when I was a kid.