User Tag List

Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Porsche

Lionel, congrats on the 993! I saw your query on Rennlist about the classic-styled radio. That one poster had some horrible bad luck with his, but mine has been really nice to have for about 3 years now. The only issue I've had is that Sirius reception is sometimes in and out in particular areas, but I actually think that could be improved if I just took the time to play with the placement of the Sirius/XM separate antenna. Good luck with it! Tim

Edit: I should add that the hands free phone function on the classic radio is one of the better ones I've had clarity and intelligibility-wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Seems like a rip off !
    import yours to states and sell it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
    Lionel, congrats on the 993! I saw your query on Rennlist about the classic-styled radio. That one poster had some horrible bad luck with his, but mine has been really nice to have for about 3 years now. The only issue I've had is that Sirius reception is sometimes in and out in particular areas, but I actually think that could be improved if I just took the time to play with the placement of the Sirius/XM separate antenna. Good luck with it! Tim

Edit: I should add that the hands free phone function on the classic radio is one of the better ones I've had clarity and intelligibility-wise.
    Thanks! 3 more days to wait :) I am debating this radio thing indeed. A friend of mine had the previous classic in his 964, I thought it was great.

I am tempted to try it mostly for CarPlay even though it is not wireless which sucks as newer phones may not have cables anymore soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    import yours to states and sell it!
    Yeah, I doubt that there was only only one in the US. Seems like a bogus ad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

REALLY fun to drive. Emptied a fuel tank on my cycling routes this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please post video of the exhaust! Wanna see if I can hear the x51

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's all I have. Not sure you can spot much with this :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great! Is it stock, or does it have secret powers?
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty much stock. The "secret power" is the X51 engine upgrade done as a factory than takes it from 3.6L to 3.8L and from 272hp to 285hp with more torque. It's a very nice engine that is mated with the manual G21 short gearbox that never existed in the US versions of the car for whatever emission reasons I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following the car that you see in the mirror (speedster) was quite a lot of work in the 993

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your car is in my dreams, Lionel.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Your car is in my dreams, Lionel.
    Try to get one. They are fun,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do any of you Porsche guys use your car as a daily driver? There are a couple folks in my neighborhood that put snow tires on theirs and drive them all winter. It seems to work, as long as you don't care about what becomes of the car.

There's an idiotic part of me that wants to get a 996 4S as a grocery getter rally car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Do any of you Porsche guys use your car as a daily driver? There are a couple folks in my neighborhood that put snow tires on theirs and drive them all winter. It seems to work, as long as you don't care about what becomes of the car.

There's an idiotic part of me that wants to get a 996 4S as a grocery getter rally car.
    I use my GT3T as a daily in CA. This does not involve snow tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think that is a perfectly good strategy. When the "4" came to the 911 my first thought was: at least now you can drive that car all year. And the 996 is inexpensive when compared to other generations so it will even cost lest (relatively) and has room for winter tires.

I understand there are truly special cars that should be used sparingly and only on nice days but your average 911 should be used all the time in any weather. Owners should wash and wax them on a regular basis and get over the fact that it might get paint chips. Cars are meant to be driven and not babied in the hopes that when one sells it you might get a few hundred more for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please do this. I'd like to see roof lights and a cargo basket on it, too.
    Last edited by deano; 07-26-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I actually think that is a perfectly good strategy. When the "4" came to the 911 my first thought was: at least now you can drive that car all year. And the 996 is inexpensive when compared to other generations so it will even cost lest (relatively) and has room for winter tires.

I understand there are truly special cars that should be used sparingly and only on nice days but your average 911 should be used all the time in any weather. Owners should wash and wax them on a regular basis and get over the fact that it might get paint chips. Cars are meant to be driven and not babied in the hopes that when one sells it you might get a few hundred more for it.
    Yes please more of that. Some years ago we were at a place in life where everything seemed pretty grim. (This is Porsche related just wait). Out of the blue a good friend, who was aware of our sadness said we should fly in, borrow his convertible 4S and hoon that sucker all over the state. Folks, let me tell you there are few things in life as wonderful as friends who step up and of course driving a 4S on dirt roads like a madman is about as much fun as you are legally allowed to have. If you are able, I fully endorse using these cars as they are ment to be driven HARD!!!

That's my Porsche story and I'm sticking to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any 911 as a garage queen is a fucking waste. Period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post

Here's my thought process. We're going to need a new car sometime in the next year or three. We could buy something like an Outback or CRV. It would cost around $30k, and it would spark less than zero joy. It would feel like spending $30k on a toaster, like the carrying cost of life had risen to tens of thousands of dollars.

Or, we could buy a 996 4s for $20k with the expectation that we'd put an additive 10k of maintenance in it over a normal car, which does actually seem like fun. But perhaps my additive maintenance cost estimate is way low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my thought process. We're going to need a new car sometime in the next year or three. We could buy something like an Outback or CRV. It would cost around $30k, and it would spark less than zero joy. It would feel like spending $30k on a toaster, like the carrying cost of life had risen to tens of thousands of dollars.

Or, we could buy a 996 4s for $20k with the expectation that we'd put an additive 10k of maintenance in it over a normal car, which does actually seem like fun. But perhaps my additive maintenance cost estimate is way low.
    Everything should spark joy or don't own/use it.

The pandemic has hyper-focused our thoughts (my wife and I) on retiring even earlier than we had planned, owning fewer but much higher quality items (again, this has always been our mantra but more so now than ever), and enjoying every single day of life (i.e. no more life-sucking careers/jobs either).

As we are about to embark and getting rid of our 2009 Outback Limited 4cyl., maybe a 4S or something similar will be in our future too.