Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    #52 is killing it.

When can I drop my bog stock '88 carerra off for a face lift?

Mark
    Any time you want =) That is a great car as a starting point.......a 3.2 we could bump up to a 3.4 stroker and a G50.. yummy

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    #43 is registered? holy shit.
    Yes, yes it is. When we originally built it, the car came with megaphone exhaust...as most RSR's did back in their day. Later we had to build a separate street exhaust for him because he was getting tickets for noise violation in the city. The second you hit around 4000 rpm, it is ear piercing. Same customer owns the green Carrera on the website...which is also street legal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On rare sunny days as a teenage Lemond wannabe I would see a green Carrera during my training rides. Didn't like Porsche's shade of green then, but I like it now.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are waaaaaayyyyyyy out of my league.

Here's the car - basic as basic can be. 100% garaged, never sees salt or muck. It's at 80K and has had no major work. Due for suspension re-fresh and eventually the motor will need some work. It's just a driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a great looking car. It is nice to see a well kept stock ride.

Here is my newest frame mocked up next to that red RSR:

DSCF1842_zps492d0514.jpg

DSCF1843_zps1f82525c.jpg

DSCF1845_zpsea1b8d47.jpg

The orange car is a '69 912 we just finished.

--and for good measure, here is the latest beast that we are almost done with...just waiting on a couple of small odds and ends and our motor.

935_zps58e5083a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've owned 3 Porsches - 1 registered and 2 race cars. Sadly, I sold them all, and I don't see myself getting back into the race thing again. It's a metric shit-ton of fun, but also one of the best ways to turn money into smoke.

That is some beautiful work, and racing cars stir my soul like bikes can not. One of the few things better than seeing a proper race car is hearing one driven in anger, preferably from the driver's seat.

It was weird for me. Once I moved from nice street legal cars to roll cages, fuel cells and fire suits, the nicest street cars in the universe got demoted to secondary status. I get more fired up looking at or driving a well-sorted Spec Miata than a new Lambo. 2 exceptions are Astons and air-cooled 911s.

Do you only do race cars? Or street stuff too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say 90% of our cars are race cars. It's a small shop and we have a nice niche. At no offense to anyone, dealing with modern cars/street cars along with their owners is a path I'd rather not go down. The only exceptions are for cars with historical value which is still pretty limited. The cars that are street legal we do are still full on race cars with slightly detuned motors to run on pump gas and softer suspension to deal with the street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean- Very nice work. I'll have to send my dad up from Tucson to see your shop. He's active with the PCA group there and organizes their track events.

Musgraves- If you haven't been by Larry's Performance Werks on Merimon Ave, you've got to stop in and see Larry's Porsche. Started as an 198? 911 tub before it got carbon body work, full cage, custom suspension, and a hand built air cooled engine. Behind the wheel of that car, Larry is no match for a factory GT3 cup car. (Searched for photos to no avail.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcdermid View Post
    we did a lot of this car for a guy called bob in the USA

.:: One of a Kind - Porsche 964 AMERICA GS - LOOK, TRUST ME ::.

the bloke just keeps spending and spending last thing i heard on the project was carbon ceramic exhausts

thats some awesome resto work right there
    holy mother of god. wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went back to that link and I must say..... What an incredible waste of money haha. The craftsmanship looks real nice, but my god enough is enough. If he decides to sell that car (most likely won't) he won't get 10 cents on the dollar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    I have never been a Porsche guy*, however this speaks to me on some primal level...
    if you never have, you should test drive a cayman. the newer 981 (manual 6 if possible). it changes what you expect from a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seankanary View Post
    I just went back to that link and I must say..... What an incredible waste of money haha. The craftsmanship looks real nice, but my god enough is enough. If he decides to sell that car (most likely won't) he won't get 10 cents on the dollar.
    The bob car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcdermid View Post
    The bob car?
    Yes. The fab work looks ridiculously flawless. So so so much money invested...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean - do you have a favorite project that stands out or are they all fun yet different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are all pretty fun. I'm not usually all that happy when I'm stripping 40 years of road grime and undercoating off the tub before we get started, but once we get to that point I'm happy. My favorite project thus far was the 1971 McLaren M8F we restored. Body panels were a bitch because they were original and beat to shit but it was a humbling experience working on that car. 1650 lbs, 1170 hp, +/- 1000 ft lbs of torque.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seankanary View Post
    My favorite project thus far was the 1971 McLaren M8F we restored. Body panels were a bitch because they were original and beat to shit but it was a humbling experience working on that car. 1650 lbs, 1170 hp, +/- 1000 ft lbs of torque.
    gets award for funkiest looking exhaust system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean,
    Let's play a game. Suppose I've got $30K to spend of a bulletproof Porsche that I'm going to use for fun road trips. It needs to be crazy reliable, droptop and fast. How the he!! do I stand a chance of finding this? If I was looking for a used Volvo it would be easy...I know Volvos. Do I find an old school Porsche repair shop and talk to them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Too Tall;522982]Sean,
    Let's play a game. Suppose I've got $30K to spend of a bulletproof Porsche that I'm going to use for fun road trips. It needs to be crazy reliable, droptop and fast. How the he!! do I stand a chance of finding this? If I was looking for a used Volvo it would be easy...I know Volvos. Do I find an old school Porsche repair shop and talk to them?

--------

find old established VW dealership or stand-alone repair shop, been in business 3+ decades --- then find the oldest mechanic, bet he will know of one and it's hiding place..

ferdinand & ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on it.
    [QUOTE=ron l edmiston;522988]
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Sean,

--------

find old established VW dealership or stand-alone repair shop, been in business 3+ decades --- then find the oldest mechanic, bet he will know of one and it's hiding place..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=ron l edmiston;522988]
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Sean,

--------

This- give Volkswerks in Falls Church a call. I bet they'd be able to point you in the right direction.
    my name is Matt