User Tag List

Thread: Don't throw out that old PPG DBU!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Don't throw out that old PPG DBU!

man, I probably have $500 worth of PPG's old DBU line of 2-part basecoat-clearcoat system paints. So I mix it up with the DRR reducer and it clots up! PPG has wiothdrawn DBU and replaced it with DBC which doesn't take a catalyst, you just thin it with DT. Are you with me on this?

So I had a repaint in this week, the client wanted gunmetal metallic, which I had in DBU. I gave a quote that was reasonable unless I had to buy a new can of paint. Thank god for the internet:

Attn paint gurus: PPG DBU problem - THE H.A.M.B.

So I did what came naturally, mixed the DBU with DT and shot it. Came out pretty nice, too. I plan to give the job a light clearcoat as per the forum advice, then the decals and then a couple good coats of clear5.

jn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Don't throw out that old PPG DBU!

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    man, I probably have $500 worth of PPG's old DBU line of 2-part basecoat-clearcoat system paints. So I mix it up with the DRR reducer and it clots up! PPG has wiothdrawn DBU and replaced it with DBC which doesn't take a catalyst, you just thin it with DT. Are you with me on this?

So I had a repaint in this week, the client wanted gunmetal metallic, which I had in DBU. I gave a quote that was reasonable unless I had to buy a new can of paint. Thank god for the internet:

Attn paint gurus: PPG DBU problem - THE H.A.M.B.

So I did what came naturally, mixed the DBU with DT and shot it. Came out pretty nice, too. I plan to give the job a light clearcoat as per the forum advice, then the decals and then a couple good coats of clear5.

jn
    That's how was told to use dbu by the paint shop the first time. I also "lock down" my dbu and dbc with dx59 activator if im doing multiple colors.