Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nichols Miter Build: Bicycle Framebuilding automation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nichols Miter Build: Bicycle Framebuilding automation

This is slowly starting to get pretty intense so I figured I would start documenting my Nichols Hand Mill Build. I'm working through a semi-automated tube mitering setup, something that I can set and forget and have it cut the tube and return to the home position. This thread will document the build. If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Here is how the mill looked when I picked it up

After some serious Cleaning:

Ripping out all the old wiring and going to be putting in a VFD:

Phase II Rotary Table and Servo Controlled Y-Axis Automation Underway:

I've chosen to use a Panasonic FPe PLC to control the Y-axis. Mostly because I got it for free, and it's a nice little contained unit. My plan is to be able to set the Y-axis Feed Rate in inches per minute, 0.100"/min in this case. The Servo will move the table at this controlled speed either for a set distance or until a proximity sensor is tripped. This will stop the system and the Y-axis will reset to a home position.

More to come.
    Thanks - Todd.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 07-05-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nichols Miter Build

Had a few hours to work on this tonight.

Here are some detail shots of the Motor Mount.

Took the Old handle off the Y-axis and repurposed it.

For full build picture here is the Set Link on my flickr Nichols Milling Machine - a set on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like you like to build tools, more then you like to build frames, haha just teasing. Nice work, as far as nichols go you got one of the newer ones,
    Sam Markovich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it would appear that way! Actually I just bought a ring for my fiancee a few months ago that kinda put me in a financial situation if you know what I mean!!! Don't get me wrong totally worth it and she deserves it. But anyways lugs and tubes cost money, as for aluminum, motors, controllers, and my time, well that's all free thanks to my real job. I'm one of those people that always needs to be doing something, so if I can't build bikes right now I might as well build tooling for bikes!

As far as I can tell it was made in the 80's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Black" from Anodizing

And here is a video test of the power Feed, before I wire it all in, add the buttons and make it all pretty!

The Power Feed Test | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got a VFD and had a chance to Gut the controls box tonight. If anyone is looking for a nice VFD at a good price, this is where I bought mine 2HP 230 Volt -- USE AS A PHASE CONVERTER PLUS GET VARIABLE SPEED, Model JNEV-202-H1, Single Phase Input ONLY, Three Phase Output, variable frequency drive, variable frequency drives, ac drive, vfd, afd, frequency drive, drive, inverter, adjustable sp

The plan:

Control Box

Just have to wire in the remote panel now! I finally feel like this project is getting close! It's been sooooo slow with everything else going on in my life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I've struggled with removing the long axis production handle on my machine. IT was replaced with a ugly shop made piece of junk that gets in the way of every thing. How did you get it off? Great work btw. Is the VFD going to control the infeed axis servo (stepper?)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Ken,
    Thanks for the compliment. I would have to take a look at it again, but if I remember correctly the gear on this shaft that is part of the rack and pinion has 1 or two set screws on it. They hold onto the shaft and the key on the shaft. I moved the table until I could access them (or 1 I can't remember of the top of my head) and removed both of those and then use a chunk of aluminum and a hammer to tap the back side of the shaft until it slid out.

The VFD is going to control the Spindle RPM. Here is the CAD I worked up for the new Panel, I'm just waiting for the parts to come in.

The PLC will be sending pulse trains to the Stepper Driver (This stepper has feedback so kinda behaves like a servo in the sense it closes the loop). The PLC will have a protective cover over it, and will be mainly used to display the current feedrate which is adjustable by the momentary 3 position selector switch. To raise or lower the feed rate you will simply turn it to + or -. The feed rate will be on a ramp up ramp down function meaning it will start counting slowly and start counting faster the longer you hold it. The PLC will also receive an output from the VFD which says its running or not. This will make it so the Miter cycle cannot be initiated until the Spindle is running. The middle button will allow jogging of the Y-axis Forward and Back. And then there will be a spindle speed potentiometer in the lower corner of the panel. My plan is to eventually put some sort of tach on the spindle too.

There will also be two proximity sensors on the Y-Axis to prevent movement to far in either direction. A separate E-stop will be mounted in its own housing as well to shut down the complete cycle.

-Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this project has done anything for me, it's made me want to turn in the Bridgeport and buy a CNC Knee Mill.

Had a chance to borrow a friends CNC machine to bust this out on Monday. Now you still have to have the machinist mind set to determine the best way to make a part, but man what a time saver....

I had it lift a bit on me on the backside pocket where it didn't have that center screw, but no one is gonna see that anyways right ;)

Anyways it's off to Anodizing, then back in the CNC for engraving.

-Todd
    Minds Create, Hands Build.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bad ass iPhone case!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So more work on this. Late nights, way to many projects going right now, doesn't help I tried to cut my thumb off last week...

We Have Power! by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr

Panel Detail by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr

Just have to finish wiring (lights don't work), and then finish the machined parts for the main tube mitering system. Eventually I am going to TACH the spindle and have that display on the Feed rate screen as well.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Todd. I'm moving this to a new section of the Framebuilders Forum "The Knowledge" where industry folks who are leaders in a particular area have unique expertise.

Thanks for your contribution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT,
    Thanks man. I wouldn't say I'm a leader per say, I came straight out of school with a BSME and sort of just was thrown into automation sink or swim style! I do know enough to get into trouble or help other do the same. So if anyone has an questions about this build or needs help doing something similar, don't hesitate to ask!

I put in a little more work to the mechanical side of things last week.

Main Tube Mitering Taking Shape by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome set up Todd!! Did you machine the jaws for holding your main tube?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually bought them from Votaw tool MAGNETIC 'V' BLOCK UNIVERSAL VISE JAWS

If I were to do it over again I would machine them myself. They were pretty rough, meaning they were just blasted out of some extruded bar and none of the surfaces were parallel. I planned on anodizing them so they will hold up to repeated clamping, but they had a press fit magnet in them that took me forever to get out. It was such a pain literally...

What a complete pain is the A that was... by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr

After I pulled the magnets out I went back and fly cut 4 sides of the jaws to make sure they were on center, parallel and perpendicular

Magnets removed and faced. by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr

Then I had to bevel the edge that sits in the vice since I am going to mount them directly to the vice instead of the existing vice jaws. I still have to machine the mounting holes, but it's going to be a bit tricky since one of them intersects right in the middle of one of the v-jaws. All in all, they are decent jaws, just wish they would have taken them time to face them all up, and offer them without the magnets...

-Todd.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really geat looking machine tool build. I'm sure it would be very small group of interested buyers, but would you consider making a kit to automate the y axis movement of a Nichols mill? this sure would make a few people happy. Maybe down the line you could come up with a rotary axis control if the cost of a cnc rotary table is not too crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ken,
    Thank you very much. Yeah I have been quite please with how it's turning out. I really wish I had a solid week to finish it up, but I keep having to work on it in the far fewer breaks I seem to be having. I've been hit up by a few people wanting this for their Nichols machine. I'm not sure all the Y-Axis mountings are the same over the years? That would be my only concern. I'd have to go back a revisit a few less expensive options. The motor I used is way more powerful than anyone should need for this application. I just had it so I figured I'd use it. The motor/drive combo is about $1000.00 if you were to buy them new. Depending on how this works and how much interest it gets I might take it on. With all my projects stacking up I have to be a little careful though, my time is running pretty thin!

Anyways here is the latest shot of the Nichols. I finished all the wiring and added a light tower!

Wiring Complete!!! And Light Tower Added ;) by FARR Frameworks, on Flickr

It's going to flash red and beep when the miter cycle is finished!
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The work continues in my not so spare, spare time.

Machining the Vice Holes by FARR Frameworks, on Flickr

Jaws Mounted!!!! by FARR Frameworks, on Flickr

That Turned Out Pretty Nice! by FARR Frameworks, on Flickr

My Project For the Week. by FARR Frameworks, on Flickr
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad Ass, I love the flashing light tower, if only because you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jonathan, yeah that's pretty much the main reason I added it! Plus it beeps at me when the miter is done, which is kinda nice! Set-it-and-forget-it.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast