User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3/8" 18v cordless drill/driver recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 3/8" 18v cordless drill/driver recommendations?

Check out reviews and information on these sites:

Reviews | coptool.comcoptool.com | Power Tool News and Product Reviews
    General Tool Discussion - The Garage Journal Board
    ToolGuyd | The Latest Tool Reviews, New Tool Previews, Best Tool Picks & Deals Blog

Try and handle the drills before buying (no pun intended). The feel of every brand/model will be different. And you may not need an 18V drill/driver; the Milwaukee M12 and Bosch PS31 are outstanding and are now shipping with next-generation batteries for even better performance. Recent tests of the newest M12 put it on a par with many 18V drills (they also have a hammer version). In the 18V, look at Bosch and Milwaukee (Milwaukee's Fuel lineup is brushless, the latest development in motors). Warranty is important, as noted; Bosch Provantage is unbeatable with two-year replacement in a couple of days after calling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryker View Post
    I've gotten new Rigid batteries a few times. Just a couple of minutes for an over the counter exchange. If you need a more serious repair to a Rigid tool, be prepared to wait. In my case a part needed to be ordered and - get this - it came from China by container ship. Took two months to get the tool fixed. That said, my repair depot claims they'll fix any Rigid product no matter the cause of damage. If you drive your truck over a tool, it's covered. (In the case described above, I dropped the tool and it cracked. All fixed now, good as new.)
    Yup, we had to wait a total of 4 months on the drill they kept sending back to us unfixed. In this case they also tried to wiggle out of the warranty by telling me I was using it improperly. They even went so far as to call Rigid Tech in front of us and asked if the saw was rated for use with a hole saw. You shoulda seen their face when the answer came back yes...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makita guys with the Li-ion, I HIGHLY recommend picking up the cordless vacuum.
    this thing rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Milwaukee. I have both the M18 and M12. For general use in the shop I use my M12. But for work and jobs around the house I use my M18. You will need the extra power even for what may seem like "simple" jobs around the house. I'm really happy with both and I had a Makita for a number of years and am pleased with the switch.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makita!
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be warned, Toolguyd reviews are just based on press releases, he rarely actually reviews a tool that he uses.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milwaukee. I use the m18 tools daily. M12 is also a great kit. Lots of tools to choose from. Rigid has a good battery program but there tool bodies and chucks don't last. Co workers Makita brushless drill literally melted in half at the transmission. So with about 9 years of Milwaukee experience they get my vote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rigid makes good shop vacs. Cordless tools, meh.

Most 18v is more power than you'll need for 95% of the jobs. I've gotten my father-in-law a 12v Li-Ion DeWalt 4-pc kit for $240 (flashlight, drill/driver, sawzall, impact driver), and it's served almost all his needs. And when it doesn't, he has corded tools to back it up.

I myself am an Ingersoll-Rand tool user, their IQV20 series is great and designed with assembly line use in mind, but they're not very affordable and not very popular. Their marketing team needs to step up their game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went through this search last year when redoing two bathrooms......

Ended up with Bosch. Milwaukee was neck & neck. Everything else was way back.

YMMV

Look at the rebuilds on CPO

Len

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makita brushless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snekky vikking View Post
    Makita guys with the Li-ion, I HIGHLY recommend picking up the cordless vacuum.
    this thing rules
    oh shit. i need that.

i got a makita kit, drill (bdf452), flashlight and 3/8" impact (btw253) for workin on the beaters...
    very happy with them all.
    got one of the cordless circular saws recently. works well too.
    the drill, i run my grain mill with it. milled many 26# grainbills on the smaller battery at low rpm=long continuous run time. drill gets hot and its kinda loud but fkcn works awesome.

edit: mine are green, came as a kit, charger, bag, drill, impact and light for about $330. prices look crazy with a quick google of the part numbers though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    Yup, we had to wait a total of 4 months on the drill they kept sending back to us unfixed. In this case they also tried to wiggle out of the warranty by telling me I was using it improperly. They even went so far as to call Rigid Tech in front of us and asked if the saw was rated for use with a hole saw. You shoulda seen their face when the answer came back yes...
    You might consider looking for a new repair shop. My Rigid authorized repair shop is easy to deal with, thinks everything is warranty eligible (even "driving your truck over the tool") and does good work. Just a bit hamstrung by lead time on spare parts. My guy does nothing but tool repair, including for many of the brands mentioned in this thread, and his shop has been running for over 30 years. On the subject at hand, this dude prefers Rigid tools based on the warranty support he gets from the vendors upstream. Knowing this, Rigid has become my default choice. Probably got 20 of their tools now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my POV on tools is
    buy shit good enough that you don't have to worry about the warranty department
    the tool only breaks when you're using it and then your pretty pissed because your project is now at a standstill

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryker View Post
    this dude prefers Rigid tools based on the warranty support he gets from the vendors upstream. Knowing this, Rigid has become my default choice. Probably got 20 of their tools now...
    Maybe that's because Rigid tools bring him the most business...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12