Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utility Trailers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Utility Trailers

I've got some ideas rolling around in my head (along with some marbles) of a utility trailer that I want to make. Mostly just to haul stuff, maybe yard debris, groceries, trips to the store, etc. I'm not a hippy, and there is nothing wrong with hippies, but I sometimes go through an "anti-car" phase. I'm just curious what some of you folks have built, or seen, that you thought was interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Utility Trailers

Heavy-Duty Bicycle Cargo Trailers | Bikes At Work <<< That. I've been using this for almost 5 yrs. and it has no flaws. If you are handy there is no reason you could not make this. The universal joint is brilliant, lets you lay your bike flat on the ground and trailer stays on two wheels. I despise single wheel trailers, been there and hated it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've built a few - double-sided wheels are stronger, but wider than stub-axle wheels. Old wheelchair wheels are good. Chariot make excellent hitches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Wilco View Post
    I've got some ideas rolling around in my head (along with some marbles) of a utility trailer that I want to make. Mostly just to haul stuff, maybe yard debris, groceries, trips to the store, etc. I'm not a hippy, and there is nothing wrong with hippies, but I sometimes go through an "anti-car" phase. I'm just curious what some of you folks have built, or seen, that you thought was interesting.

Here's what I made for myself a couple of years ago, partly as a TIG practice exercise and partly because I was fed up of having to drive when picking up heavier/bulkier items,

Here's an example load,

If it helps, here's the Flickr set that shows the basics of how I built the thing.
    Trailer. - a set on Flickr

Alistair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Longtails. They ride like bikes. Depends on what you want to haul, how often, terrain, width of path, etc.
    Two wheels, not four. Add sidecar for 3, folds up.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High attachment points are usually a bad idea - they make the bike behave oddly, and especially under braking with a heavy load can be dangerous. Much better to attach at the axle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also working on one to haul frame boxes to the post office. Although the above is making me think, I'm pretty much settled on a Bob-Style design since the bed will have to be at least 75cm wide and 90 cm long. I'm curious why these are all two wheel instead of single wheel. What are the pros and cons of the two designs? Width is obvious and why I chose single wheel but what else?
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by datas_brother View Post
    I'm also working on one to haul frame boxes to the post office. Although the above is making me think, I'm pretty much settled on a Bob-Style design since the bed will have to be at least 75cm wide and 90 cm long. I'm curious why these are all two wheel instead of single wheel. What are the pros and cons of the two designs? Width is obvious and why I chose single wheel but what else?
    A two wheel trailer is nice when you don't want the trailer to fall on the side once you detached the trailer from the bike. I would go one wheeler for light load and two wheeler for higher load with a foldable stand to allow it to stay level while you are loading.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was planning it with a 2 legged stand for that reason.
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was planning it with a 2 legged stand for that reason.
    That's a good idea however the whole rig wants to jack knife every time you come to a stop if it is not plumb and square! I am NOT a fan of single wheel designs...they have a purpose in life for dragging behind you on rough surfaces and for that they rule all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, I just read the instruction manual and they call that the parking position. Bike and trailer co-support themselves without a stand. I should mention that I'm making mine for a MTB for use on tractor trails. Only occasional pavement.
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin T View Post
    Aside from the mounting point, that's pretty cool!

Alistair, yours is pretty much along the lines of what I had in mind. Although I was thinking wood planks for the bed and maybe some removable rails for the front and sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't speak for others but for my tastes the Bob style trailer starts to negatively affect handling in a troubling way once loads get above 40-45 lbs. Below that weight, of course you notice the handling difference of the bike, but you get used to it.

I towed a Bob trailer loaded with all the necessaries for a self supported tour from Wash. D.C. to San Diego some years back. It worked well and I got very used to the handling (to the extent that when I rode the bike without the trailer I was weaving all over the place for the first few miles, compensating for a load that wasn't there anymore).

Later, using the same trailer for some over sized grocery and errand type runs with much heavier loads, got me in some trouble on a couple of occasions. It just loads the rear triangle in way that it's not really meant to be loaded, setting up a weird oscillating torsional spring like effect.

From this experience, when it came to building something that can handle a couple of hundred pounds, going with a two wheeled solution made sense for me.

Alistair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were going to design a bike specifically to haul a trailer, what changes would you make?

Do you FBs integrate trailer hitches into your frames, and if so, what do they look like?
    Jim Nachlin | Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim N View Post
    Do you FBs integrate trailer hitches into your frames, and if so, what do they look like?

I'm not convinced that integrated hitches are the way to go, but I did built one for testing purposes to try and help me make up my mind on the matter. Still testing it, but so far so good.

Alistair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inglis built this cool rig to carry bike boxes to the shipper: Retrotec hauling frame box! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fairly easy repurpose: A smaller conversion of an aluminum ladder to bike trailer is quite feasible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bentcyclist View Post
    A fairly easy repurpose: A smaller conversion of an aluminum ladder to bike trailer is quite feasible.
    ya but then it's not made of carbon!
    Cheers
    Kevin

PolyTube Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving past an Amish farm yesterday I saw a really old utility tricycle. It had an extended flat bed and everything. Maybe make one of those with some freakish fat tires just to haul some stuff around. Definitely an eye catcher!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast