User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Do It atmo -

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How Do You Do It atmo -

This is a question for any and all working effbuilders atmo. How do you decide? How do you choose where to plant seeds, lay groundwork, have your virtual meet and greet cum courting sessions, and leave a 1s and 0s paper trail to your front door? All of us need to get inside the heads of a few folks who will become clients. I am of the mind that the website is ground zero and all information has to be contained there and radiate outward. I see some cats on Facebook. Some have blogs in which almost every text starts with a, "...wow it's been a long time since I updated this thing", followed with an update. A few cats are Flickr sluts and dump images there, and some of the images have captions pasted in to serve as fodder for marketing purposes. Tumbler. Instagram. Twitter. WTF. My observation is that a lot of peeps are all over the place and not at all focused. It seems so incongruous to me. But that's just me.

I am asking all of the folks reading here to talk about how they map out their broadcasts.

Hey - thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How Do You Do It atmo -

1: static web page
    2: Blog
    3: FB page
    4: here, SO, FNL, helping out & bumming out people alternatively.
    That's a full plate on top of having to make the donuts.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a mess. I naturally gravitate to FB since I can snap pics and upload in real time. I've also found that pictures draw looks, words less so. As I have a new website coming soon I've been thinking about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My gameplan...

1.) website, update gallery every other month, news on top of home page if needed
    2) blog...a look inside the weekly shop going ons. Keeps the phone calls down as people can see I'm working away.
    3.) Facebook...interesting interface that I was late to the game on and still figuring out the best way to utilize
    4) V-Salon...Smoked out. Rarely use FNL cause I like to describe the reason for the pics or action, better done through other methods
    5) Supporting Grass roots racing. Provides a small percentage of sales but makes me feel good to give back.
    6.) Nahbs...the only show I make an effort to attend. Though I do not generate many sales, it lets folks know I'm still around and in the game. More important is the time to chat up like minded folks and exchange information to grow our profession. That is worth all the cost.

I usually flip around on VS and MTBR frame forums and try to kick in when I can.

rody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Website serves as the foundation for nuts and bolts: Who, what, when, where, why, how. The blog is a Wordpress Blog hosted on the same server and appears to be integrated with the site (even though it's really a whole separate site). So when you jump to the blog, it doesn't feel like you're going to someplace different. Blog allows me to expand on the who, the what, the how and the why. Google Analytics supplies all the traffic info on the back end for both the web AND the blog. Wordpress is where it's at. New posts are also reflected on the main page through a live stream as links so content changes in addition to web updates every so often. I expand on story through annual "catalogs" which are just an opportunity for me to push the graphics and offer a free downloadable piece of 44 Bikes.

I use Flickr as a base camp for all my images and process shots. This then allows me to post them to my Facebook page, as well as to FNL, my Wordpress Blog, and Tumblr account. What I really like about Flickr is that it's the one place that has a bunch of apps that allows me to spread content and reach others. I can grab html links and post them elsewhere OR I can actually "share" them directly as a post to Tumblr, or create a Wordpress Blog post through Flickr not to mention I can post images in "groups". This also allows me to organize photos into sets so I can point clients who have questions to very specific spots. It's a wonderful tool IMO. I also have a simple add on through wordpress that reflects all of my blog posts to a twitter account. I am not an avid user of Twitter or Tumblr, but I know others really enjoy them. Those simple add on's make it a snap for me to reach a broader audience.

The most important parts for 44 Bikes however are in this order:

1. Website
    2. Wordpress blog
    3. Flickr

Tumblr, Twitter, FNL, Smoked Out, Garage Journal, et all are extra paths to reach potential clients and those who love bikes / take part in a larger community. The best feedback I get naturally are from events 1st and articles/reviews/interviews 2nd. I manage all of the virtual paths through Flickr and whenever I can, create automations of content. I realize some prefer to follow along on Tumblr or on Twitter more and pick and choose content accordingly. IMO, Facebook is a red herring. Not all the likes in the world are a sale. You gotta get the word out, shake hands and give real face time somewhere. Recently I've been starting to shift how I post content to certain sites so there are certain images of the same build that you see on one format but not on the other. Generally I do this through facebook so those fans are getting more "exclusive content". But I have noticed, it's pretty much the same people commenting about the builds on facebook vs. I see more unique people through Tumblr and Flickr. Facebook also appears to be cyclical groups of people in nature meaning I see the same people for a few months, then they go, then a new crew shows up and comments often, then they go and so on. Then there are regulars of course.

I enjoy doing blog posts so this is not an issue for me. I balance my week by uploading to flickr, Tumbling an image or two, making a blog post which can then be reflected on Facebook or Twitter.

NAHBS 2014: I'll be there.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. Nice to see sponsorship and shows added. My question was more about how/where the info emanates from. But, yeah - these also are ways. A good pal and I were chatting (that's email for me) a week ago, and he sent a reply that read something like this: It's not enough that you sponsor a Formula One team, you have to tell everybody that you sponsor a Formula One team. The words were relevant to the chat. But, for me, that detail would be kept on my website, and when I let folks know what I want them to know, I link back to my site first and foremost atmo. No single branch of the delivery system should overpower the others, and the site is the heart (and lungs, and brains, and CNS, and...) of it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard, the next part of your question ought to be how do you know which of your seeds reaps the best harvest? All small businesses are encouraged to have a diverse virtual presence, but for frame builders, which presence (form of marketing) has proven to be most effective? How do you know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Richard, the next part of your question ought to be how do you know which of your seeds reaps the best harvest? All small businesses are encouraged to have a diverse virtual presence, but for frame builders, which presence (form of marketing) has proven to be most effective? How do you know?
    Seeds take a generation (at least) to yield. Anyone who thinks they can do or say X on the site, or FB, or at NAHBS, and then sit back and have a business is not going to have one for very long. I have always been site-centric. When my site got rearranged in 2008, we made the decision that it be information-heavy RATHER than an entertainment destination. To that end, images are embedded in several posts and articles there, but there is no gallery - period.

As far as the rest of it goes, I think it's the web, and a website should be the center of the message, with any other places crumbs are spread all leading back to the site. i don't know what others do, hence the thread. Also, and but - I did ask because a lot of cats have websites that look unfinished, or lacking in content, while (and this is my observation) they spend time elsewhere trying to deliver the message. That doesn't seem like a well thought out business plan.

For me, the best results without question come from sponsorship. That there is a thirty year trip. I consider it my lifeblood. My passion. My giveback. And also my meal ticket. Without the sport - forget it. But I use my website to tell that story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a potential client (just to add some perspective from the other side of the fence) the web site for me is critical. I want to be able to go there and virtually get every question answered. I love pictures, struggle reading blogs and don't bother with twitter or tumblr. I do like to here the philosphy of the builder and like to see fabrication photos and videos. Whether or not the cat sponsors someone is of lesser importance to me. I realise not all of them can afford to do so. Where as if I see they are supporting riders I take it that they are busy enough or have made enough money to spare that expense. having said all that I would say that pictures on blogs, VS and seeing guys riding the builders bikes at races are what prompts me to look at the website in teh first place.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    Where as if I see they are supporting riders I take it that they are busy enough or have made enough money to spare that expense.
    They are investing in their brand and their future. It is a goodwill gesture at nearly any level. But you do it for the same reason you have a site, run an ad campaign, or buy banners on other websites. It's part of the survival plan, whether you (the framebuilder...) realize it or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    They are investing in their brand and their future. It is a goodwill gesture at nearly any level. But you do it for the same reason you have a site, run an ad campaign, or buy banners on other websites. It's part of the survival plan, whether you (the framebuilder...) realize it or not.
    Definitely agree with you if one was looking at selling event type bikes ie. CX, XC, RR etc.

(carefully trying not to tread on toes here, full respect to the cats who have served their time and have infinitely more experience than me at this sort of thing)

Where I think a difference is madeand what you have already said, is the website and all that goes with that. Take Kris (44 Bikes) for example, I am certain he sponsors no one (don't recall it entioned in any of his literature) but I would say he has become fairly prominent in a shortish time. Succes to em would mean some longevity in the business. I have no doubt he will be around for a long while though. His marketing for me is pretty spot on and it helps that his bikes click with me as well.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    Definitely agree with you if one was looking at selling event type bikes ie. CX, XC, RR etc.

(carefully trying not to tread on toes here, full respect to the cats who have served their time and have infinitely more experience than me at this sort of thing)

Where I think a difference is madeand what you have already said, is the website and all that goes with that. Take Kris (44 Bikes) for example, I am certain he sponsors no one (don't recall it entioned in any of his literature) but I would say he has become fairly prominent in a shortish time. Succes to em would mean some longevity in the business. I have no doubt he will be around for a long while though. His marketing for me is pretty spot on and it helps that his bikes click with me as well.
    funny, i was thinking about kris in the context of this thread as i rode to work this morning. to me, his website and written material is of little importance. the images he's put forward, on friday night lights, on the paceline forum, on his tumblr, those all cement for me that i dig what he is creating and would buy an mtb from him before anyone else (if i didn't already have a sweet single speed 29er). he does so much to invoke passion and desire with his pictures that i don't need any words or sponsored riders/teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how I do it. I went to the 1st NAHBS 10 years ago that just happened to coincide with the proverbial hanging of my "shingle". Been taking orders since with a static webpage and not much else.

However I and my closest confidants are reviewing this lack of a plan as I write this.

Not likely we will be tweeting, FB'n or adding shows. We are looking for the future as I see the current SM as a forgone conclusion(VS not withstanding!)

I see time with people on their bikes as the futu.... present.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you know which of your seeds reaps the best harvest?
    Well, you can ask.
    Or, either a person says long time blog follower, time to drop the dime, or on FB someone asks "how do I get one?"
    More then a few are prefaced with "this is xx from VS"
    All e-mail = very, very few phone orders.
    Mostly the phone is:
    ".............I know you don't usually take dents out of motorcycles, but......."
    You never know, once a year or so......but, my phone does tell you to e-mail me.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really enjoy the blog format, but it seems to get less traffic and less interaction and as such has gotten less of my time. WHen I meet people they will often reference it, so I still keep it going, but try to focus on the stuff that is either event based (shows, rides, big projects) and things that need more detailed description.

FB is my most directly interactive form of general communication, and I have put more effort into regular photos and discussion there.

I post on several forums- some of it business related, some of it not (at least directly).

I do three main shows a year at the moment- The Oregon Handmade Bicycle Show, NAHBS, and Bespoked: Bristol. I'm in a constant state of evaluation on those as they are a huge time and money commitment, but I enjoy them quite a bit and they seem to be good. I also try to do as many local small events (rides, shows, art shows, etc) as I can afford (time wise).

I take photos primarily for my own benefit- looking at my work via a macro shot helps me highlight the stuff I want to improve on and is a constant source of personal motivation. It helps that the Flickr community and the internet forums/ blogs/ industry press enjoys them. I also try to give customers interested "full access" to the creation of their bike if they are so interested. I generally don't work with people in the shop, but this shares the goings on in good way.

I try to ask every customer how they found me and what helped- initially this was to help me focus my efforts and possibly cull one of the above. It turns out that most people are hitting on several with enough overlap that I'm thinking it's the full package of exposure/ self promotion/ open conversation that is working to the degree it is.

Re: phone/ email- I try to touch bases with every client at least once via telephone if that works for them. I follow up conversations re: details with an email so that we are all on the same page, and try to keep most of the conversation in email form. It works for my brain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

...the images he's put forward, on friday night lights, on the paceline forum, on his tumblr, those all cement for me that i dig what he is creating...
    That's the key I think to this whole discussion. Whatever format you do decide to use be it Flickr, Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, etc. all of them, only some or none at all, the content that you do put out there should be professional, clean and inherently have some sort of visual common thread. Or nearly as clean and professional as it can be or as you can make it given your abilities. And you should be comfortable with it, and enjoy it otherwise the content being put out there is content that's half-assed and put out there because you feel you have to (and I'm not accusing anyone of doing that of course). In an ideal world, it should drip with your sensibilities so when someone sees it, it speaks to your business and brand identity (there's that pesky word again...). No matter where the client or potential client goes cross platform, they should be getting that same message and feel. No question. That is an ongoing evolution of the visual story but that's one I really enjoy pursuing and refining.

I do not sponsor anyone currently but that is not to say that I won't ever consider it. Personally, I feel as though I should first grow the business more before I take on a commitment of that sort . Time will tell. But more connection with the broader community of cyclists needs to happen. And of course, that takes time which I've got plenty and I'm patient. I don't want to rush anything - that's bad business. I believe in slow, steady growth.

But I will say, you should not as a business owner feel it absolutely necessary to use all of these social media outlets. It can be a daunting task to manage them all or even just a few and that's why I have attempted to seek out those that are cross compatible and all work in harmony with one another so using the best ones (IMO) can be accomplished from one place (For me that is flickr). If I was to drop one format today, it would be Twitter. I never post directly and it only reflects blog posts. But I do realize that a lot use this to sort content and keep up with happenings. I see a lot of traffic and spreading of message through Tumblr actually and of course, this is managed through Flickr. One person reposts an image, and from there, it gets reposted by individuals following others. The fact that the source remains embedded is interesting-and that all draws back to my online "portfolio" which is Flickr. And that is directly linked off of my website which is the core. So in a way, flickr acts as my virtual gallery, and it's a much more powerful one than any I could embed on my website.

And that is a huge reason I don't have a gallery on my website because that means I'd have to constantly update that for relevance sake which is a time suck. The website, as Richard mentions, is the core. Everything else branches off from there. How you format that site, and what content is present is up to you. But having a plan, even if it's not a written one, is a good idea. That way you can set goals and objectives. You also have something to serve as a baseline to make future decisions as the business grows (or you notice that it is not growing). Google Analytics can help with content choices too.

One of the biggest things I've learned from all this recently is I need some sort of new page that literally states "ORDER" or "How to Order" where that process is explained in detail. Currently the message is "if you are interested, please contact me" scenario. But I believe this needs to be much more literal as I have been getting a lot of inquiries that have made me realize that many don't understand that at first glance, these are all custom bikes. They get the impression it's production or semi-production. So that is a change that's coming shortly but that's from reading responses and listening carefully.

How I decided on which ones I use primarily is/was simple: Those are the formats that I enjoy using the most. Wordpress for the blog. Flickr to house the online portfolio and manage all the peripheral content. Website is the core. I feel the content is that much stronger since I truly enjoy those formats.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I've been thinking about this a lot because i am building my website practically as I write this. I've also been thinking a lot about the "branding" thread as well since I am in the middle of this website process.

Up until now I have definitely been on the side of being the "messy" poster and not following up on my online presence. I have just begun to realize how many sales this has been losing me. Last night I got an email from a customer that said "I had my bike in this huge DC bike shop and the owner wouldn't stop raving about it. I thought "great, if they tried to go out there and find some of my other work they'll find a few flicker posts from 2010, and I have done a lot of work since then. I had another potential client try to look me up that way as well. Its time to get writing code.

I had a very close friend that worked for ClearChannel selling radio advertisement for the Southern New England District. She said basically what happens is that people don't realize how effective it is until they stop advertising, then the sales slump more and more every month. Until finally after six months or so, they start advertising again and pick up the walk-in business that they lost. Its a long cycle that takes a year and is painful.

All this being said, I will never post on Facebook because it is Corporate and it is definitely not Punk.
    Jim Frain
    Dharma Cycles
    www.dharmacycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Website - all my efforts 'point' folks to this. This has the road map of the process. (the point is to get the folks to come by in person, see #5)

2) Facebook - this is my 'blog' (that I can post pics to via phone in .02 seconds)

3) Shop Time - I love bike shops, always have. Get to know the folks at the local shops, 'open the door with your elbow' (meaning always bring a six pack, maybe lunch, a couple shirts, or stickers for the guys).

4) Be visible at events, even smaller events. Talk to EVERYBODY. Don't be a dick, and don't only hang with the guys you know.

5) Get folks into your shop. Avoid talking on the phone. There is no substitute for face-to-face. Open the doors to your shop. People LOVE to see the process and see the tools. I open my shop once a week for folks to watch & drink beer, etc.

FWIW, this works for me. YRMV

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimFrain View Post
    All this being said, I will never post on Facebook because it is Corporate and it is definitely not Punk.
    Making a living DIY and handing it to the big boxes IS Punk & this is today's advertising.
    ..................unless you are just going to load all your shit into a '70's panel van and go on the road...............
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    One of the biggest things I've learned from all this recently is I need some sort of new page that literally states "ORDER" or

"How to Order" where that process is explained in detail.
    An "order" button for me seems to invite mayhem - what if you & them are totally not on the same page at all?
    You just got an order for a 36er recumbent.....................?!?!?
    phone call/disbelief on both parties/refund
    No thanks.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast