Thread: Serotta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Serotta

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Serotta, company founder
    All I ever wanted to do was build the best bicycles in the world. That ambition has always been clear and you can see it in the smallest detail and you will feel it in the ride
    It’s been more than 40 years since Ben built his first frame and began to transform the very notion of what a high-performance bicycle can be. By thinking big and challenging conventional wisdom, Ben revolutionized cycling with his innovations in personalized design, bike fitting and custom tubing.

These pioneering advances made Serotta the go-to bike for American racers when they burst on the international scene in the 1970s and 1980s. Their first stage wins, grand tour victories and podiums at the world’s greatest cycling events were all achieved on America’s first authentic race bike – a Serotta.

In the decades since, Serotta’s relentless commitment to excellence continues to drive us to design, engineer and build the best bicycle on the planet – each and every time we build a bicycle. We don’t compromise. We obsess. Our meticulous design, precision engineering, modern manufacturing and patient craftsmanship ensure that our bikes provide the ultimate cycling experience.

With every part designed, engineered and built in our own American factories, each Serotta offers unsurpassed efficiency, handling, comfort and safety. And with the experience of crafting more than 40,000 frames across four decades, we have established the benchmark for the optimal bespoke experience. Perfectly matching each bicycle to each cyclist is True Custom.

Some say that riding a bike is the best feeling in the world. Riding a Serotta is even better.
    ride hard. be well. have fun.
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Serotta

A hearty welcome to Ben, Bill, Bill, and all the folks on staff at Seotta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks. Let's ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to hear more about the history of Serotta. Obviously there's a rich history, so lets here it. I'm 28 and until I started roaming VSalon I'd never heard of Serotta (I'm a MTBer who occassionally rides the road).
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely want to hear more about your approach to success in a tough business environment and I'll ask a hard question too. What has become of your dealer "Bicycle Fitter" network and/or how do they play into the process of design? Do you take designs from the fitters and tweak them in house or do you rely on them for contact points only?

I've got a quick story about Ben from many years ago. I met him at the Seagull Century and talked about making me a Ti bike for Ultra Endurance racing. When I expressed a strong opinion that nobody was capable of building a Ti bike for a freak like me that would be worth the investment Ben offered a money back guarantee. Sold. That was a bold move on his part backed by knowledge that his shop had the tubing to do the job.

Also, I have huge respect for their engineering in things like forks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Bill,

The history and legacy of Serotta is very often used to define their image,
    as you have pointed out in your introduction.

My Legend Ti is 15 years old (almost to the day). When I ordered my custom Legend Ti,
    it had all the standards from a now by-gone era; round tubes, level top tube, 1" headset,
    threaded BB, 27.2 post, and mechanical shifting.

How does the market's move away from these standards impact a brand like Serotta that has
    deep roots in traditional custom frame building techniques? What i'm getting at is
    that I think the "classic" or "timeless" look my 15 year old bike is pretty cool today,
    but is this what the future Serotta client looks for in a new bike?

How does Serotta address the need to balance the "new" while drawing on the history of Serotta's
    timeless bikes that have a classic style? Or do you think it's important for Serotta to re-define
    the image of Serotta for new customers seeking a unique custom experience?

-g
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill, now that you've been around awhile I'm curious to know if there is anything about the manufacturing process of a frame that has surprised you or was different than your expectations. Is there anything about the business of selling bicycles that has surprised you or was different than your expectations.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

---ben,

the pleasure at my first nahbs in naptown, my hometown..
    so enjoyed your smile and seminar presentation..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is much history to extract both from Ben's head and the organization. I have this as a company objective because we opened the doors of our Serotta Racing Museum last month. It is just a start but we have begun to curate cool, historical Serotta bikes from our past as well as display historical details on the museum walls. My goal is to have it all done and fully presentable by the time of our Open House, 6-8 September 2013.

Thanks.
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, Scott and I will be at Ballers! Scott will probably be off the front. You will recognize me as the fat, old, balding guy miles off the back suffering like a big dog.

See you then.
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question.

Ben sold SICI to Chris Jacobsen a few years ago. We are affiliated with SICI and its fitters because we use fit to help SFPs design a Serotta for their customer. I don't draft the bikes (that would be Scott and Soren) but I know that we have a very detailed and specific set of data that we need from fitters. This level of detail is not something that all fitters collect so there may be lots of back and forth between us and the fitter until we feel comfortable beginning the drafting process. Especially on a custom bike, fit data, at the level we ask for it, is absolutely #1 in our process.

Yes, we can take designs from fitters especially if they can use BikeCad. Not all fitters are skilled in design so our involvement depends on the fitter. But, 100% of our drafts are approved by Scott and Soren to ensure we agree with the design. Not trying to sound arrogant when saying that but eventually the bike will have a "Serotta" on it and our designers/craftsmen do care what that Serotta represents. It's surely not a "our way or the highway" sort of attitude; it's just born out of care and concern.

Ben is a pretty cool guy and loves to do things like what happened to you. He's out and about in the market doing stuff like that today and my job is to make sure we can execute seamlessly on his promises. Ummmm. Let's say he keeps me moving fast in order to keep up with him.

Hope the above was helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I definitely want to hear more about your approach to success in a tough business environment and I'll ask a hard question too. What has become of your dealer "Bicycle Fitter" network and/or how do they play into the process of design? Do you take designs from the fitters and tweak them in house or do you rely on them for contact points only?

I've got a quick story about Ben from many years ago. I met him at the Seagull Century and talked about making me a Ti bike for Ultra Endurance racing. When I expressed a strong opinion that nobody was capable of building a Ti bike for a freak like me that would be worth the investment Ben offered a money back guarantee. Sold. That was a bold move on his part backed by knowledge that his shop had the tubing to do the job.

Also, I have huge respect for their engineering in things like forks.
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My background in manufacturing is plastics (McDonald's type containers and Hefty plastic bags), apparel and medical devices. Manufacturing bikes has some crossover but not everywhere.

Similarities
    --a failure can be catastrophic. Like medical devices
    --lean manufacturing and Toyota Production System principles can apply
    --hearing machines run and make noise is music to my ears
    --like apparel, a strong out-of-USA outsourcing model
    --engineering and product development heavy
    --raw material suppliers do not view us as a big customer (or cycling as a big industry) compared to their other customers/markets

Differences
    --this is craft labor. Not easy to automate. Not easy to train skills.
    --seems big but is really a small industry
    --metal and carbon composite are not fabric or plastic
    --outsourcing is hard to do if tolerances and specifications are tight
    --dealing with IBDs is much different than dealing with corporate customers (hospitals, insurance companies, retail chains like Macy's, grocery store chains)

There are probably LOTS more if I give this some more thought.

But, let me just say this: I am having a blast. I love to ride/race bikes and hang around people who share that passion - makes me happy. I love to develop/build things and hang around people who really do that work and share that passion - makes me happy. I love to lead/grow companies - makes me happy. So, since landing here at Serotta, I have been getting happier and happier. May sound like this is a cake walk -- it's NOT - but it's still exactly what I should be doing in my life right now!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Bill, now that you've been around awhile I'm curious to know if there is anything about the manufacturing process of a frame that has surprised you or was different than your expectations. Is there anything about the business of selling bicycles that has surprised you or was different than your expectations.

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My answer is probably too long to share here. But, you will see me answer this in the ways we begin deploying our brand essence.

Yes, Serotta has a deep and long heritage, longer than any other current American brand still building in the USA.

That heritage was the foundation for Serotta's DNA, a DNA anchored with words like authentic, genuine, bold, discovery, rebellion, precision, obsessive, perfection, meticulous, purposeful...

One of my jobs is to demonstrate to you and others something that I now believe: that heritage built a DNA that has strong relevance today.

Some think we are "classic" meaning we are living in the past. I would argue that this is not true. But, after 7 months on the ground here, I still have a significant piece of work ahead of me to show this as reality and not something running around only in our minds.

What does our client look for in a new bike? The knowledge that if they wanted to take themselves and/or their bike to the absolute limits of performance (human, bike), they have the bike that could handle all they, the terrain, the conditions, the ride, etc.... could dish out. It's owning the McLaren even though it may never be raced...it's owning the best, driving the ultimate and knowing that McLaren has attended to each and every of the minutest of details seen and unseen. It generates a quiet confidence that certain customers want.

Do we need to redefine our image? No...but we sure do need to communicate much more clearly, crisply and concisely who/what we have been and are.

How do we blend the new with our DNA? Hard balance and one we have had ups and downs on in the past. Some have viewed us as behind-the-times, others have seen us as arrogant and others just think we are not relevant and should go away. My answer to your question is too long for here but how about this short one for now: Ben - and Serotta - have not and still will not produce something that does not have a purpose beyond hype, profits or "just-because". Ben has always been dedicated to bettering the ethos of cycling; it's built into the company's DNA. If you know the DNA, our actions - past and present - would be predictable.

We truly do build great bike - some you can walk in, buy and walk out with - but our sweet spot is True Custom. Personalizing a bike to you - geometry, tube sets and finish - is what we do best.

Let me close with a disclaimer: I am just tyring to answer your questions and in so doing, pull the veil off a little of where we are taking the brand. We have been silent - maybe even confused - for some time and as such, have fallen of many of your radar screens. I am not nor am I trying to either be or sound arrogant. Rather, I am just trying to be clear, honest and upfront.

No big heads here. No big agendas hidden away. We just want cycling to be better by what we do everyday. Simple as that.

I got rambling but hope you find something of value in what I shared.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Hey Bill,

The history and legacy of Serotta is very often used to define their image,
    as you have pointed out in your introduction.

My Legend Ti is 15 years old (almost to the day). When I ordered my custom Legend Ti,
    it had all the standards from a now by-gone era; round tubes, level top tube, 1" headset,
    threaded BB, 27.2 post, and mechanical shifting.

How does the market's move away from these standards impact a brand like Serotta that has
    deep roots in traditional custom frame building techniques? What i'm getting at is
    that I think the "classic" or "timeless" look my 15 year old bike is pretty cool today,
    but is this what the future Serotta client looks for in a new bike?

How does Serotta address the need to balance the "new" while drawing on the history of Serotta's
    timeless bikes that have a classic style? Or do you think it's important for Serotta to re-define
    the image of Serotta for new customers seeking a unique custom experience?

-g
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Bill,

How many people work at Serotta today ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21 here in the two facilities right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Hi Bill,

How many people work at Serotta today ?
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rustylion View Post
    21 here in the two facilities right now.
    Is it possible to tour the Poway facility? (Maybe if I ride there on my Meivici?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Rusty Lion,

Are you the same Billy Watkins on the old green Serotta poster from the early 1980's ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. That is me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheisserad61 View Post
    Dear Rusty Lion,

Are you the same Billy Watkins on the old green Serotta poster from the early 1980's ?
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike is really not set up for tours.
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No to Poway tours.

We do, however, offer monthly tours of the Saratoga Springs facility.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb View Post
    Is it possible to tour the Poway facility? (Maybe if I ride there on my Meivici?)
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast