Thread: The Knowledge 1.0 - Bike Frame Design Process

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How I Make These atmo -

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    you guys want practice? knock yourself out on this abortion that just landed in my inbox. Yes, A performance road fit. Who can tell me whats wrong with this fit for a 5'1/2" person with very average proportions.

Saddle length: 260mm
    Saddle Setback: 42mm
    Saddle to bar: 428mm
    Handlebar drop:: 55mm
    Saddle height: 620mm

Is it possible to connect the tubes to accommodate this? Yes. Am I willing to do it? No.
    Nic- the most comfortable place is the world is sitting at the bar- right? So why shouldn't your bike fit be an exact copy of how you sit at the bar?
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite late to this thread, but...

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    The fitting thing has worked its way into daily conversation because it preys on the insecurities of many who feel they are not capable of knowing what is right…I think a person can easily determine what works, and what is right - all he has to do is ride a lot.
    I used to think I rode enough to know what felt right or wrong. Only now that I'm just beginning to ride enough to even begin to know do I realise how true this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    The worst $300 I spent was a retul fit
    Some of the worst money I ever spent was getting trained to use Retül before I moved to Australia, thinking it would be the key to a new career when I got here. I got so put off by how easy it was to put these 'tools' into someone's hands and allow them to believe they could fit someone to a bike - with zero regard for the bike handling - that I couldn't face the prospect of trying to buy into what I had been taught and, more to the point, to impart this 'knowledge' onto others and make them believe I was a 'Bike Fitter'.

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    unfortunately given the nature of the business, the t̶h̶e̶r̶a̶p̶i̶s̶t̶ fitter in a bike shop can't tell the customer that they're the problem, it always has to be the bike
    Too true, unfortunately - and I say that as someone who previously "needed" that therapist (rapist?).

Fitters who aren't prepared to tell their clients the real truth (e.g. [and, yes, to draw on what I have realised from my own experience] "Sir, you spend 40-60hrs a week hunched over a laptop – your bike is not the problem") are – perhaps quite understandably – simply watching the $$ roll in.

There was a post on here from Dave Kirk about saddle setback, which he followed up with a comment about *actually thinking* about pedalling – testing the suggestions in those posts helped me understand more about my bike fit and position than anything else I have got out of my bike fittings over the last few years, or was taught on my Retül course. Coupled with recent focus on core, flexibility and off-the-bike posture, I am the strongest and most comfortable I have ever been on a bike, and without significantly upping my effort or mileage.

I think I just ate a chunk of humble pie...

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    "Sir, you spend 40-60hrs a week hunched over a laptop – your bike is not the problem")
    I'd buy this tee shirt ^ atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I think I just ate a chunk of humble pie...
    biketart is dead, long live richtheroadie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    biketart is dead, long live richtheroadie
    amen brother

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234