Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In season fueling, and breaking bad eating habits

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: In season fueling, and breaking bad eating habits

I understand all the advice about avoiding processed foods and substituting more proteins for the carbs. I'm getting better at it. Probably the hardest part for me is having the right supplies in the house/office. I don't have a convenient food store near my office, especially not when I'm riding to work, but I may just start riding by one on Mondays or Tuesdays to stock up.

Tom, are you riding twice a day? I feel like that is a big part of my battle. I can't usually eat a large breakfast (not cooking eggs) before my ride because I'm trying to keep quiet in our small condo and not wake the kids/wife. So I end up eating once I'm at work, where I'm exposed to the cereal and breads. How about simple protein shakes/mixes? Anyone drinking those to keep full and help with recovery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    I understand all the advice about avoiding processed foods and substituting more proteins for the carbs. I'm getting better at it. Probably the hardest part for me is having the right supplies in the house/office. I don't have a convenient food store near my office, especially not when I'm riding to work, but I may just start riding by one on Mondays or Tuesdays to stock up.

Tom, are you riding twice a day? I feel like that is a big part of my battle. I can't usually eat a large breakfast (not cooking eggs) before my ride because I'm trying to keep quiet in our small condo and not wake the kids/wife. So I end up eating once I'm at work, where I'm exposed to the cereal and breads. How about simple protein shakes/mixes? Anyone drinking those to keep full and help with recovery?
    Rosey
    Can you use the blender the night before without waking the kids? If so, make yourself a breakfast smoothie. Kale, banana, yogurt, ice cubes is a good start. Put it in something with a screw top and refrigerate, give it a quick shake in the morning and off you go.

You can get super fancy with protein powder, flax, etc etc. I stick to the above unless my wife also wants some, in which case I throw in an apple, spinach, and carrots. She needs it to taste good, I just need it to get my ass on the bike and thru the morning so I'm ok with a little simplification.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm riding in the afternoons now, just once a day. There's no doubt riding twice a day is harder from a dietary standpoint, because you're not eating at home. I can control what we have in the house for food and my discipline follows suit. I'm not so disciplined otherwise. Look what happens on the stop after 3 or 4 hrs when out training? Cokes, pastry, cookies, etc, all the stuff I never allow in the house.

You probably need to figure out a way to remove those temptations at work when you get there after your ride, same when you get home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have struggles in the past to fuel appropriately while riding. It's taken a few years, but my family is now off of most all processed foods and cooks mostly from scratch, as well as gluten free. I lived on PB&J's as a bachelor and racer. Now we eat foods that are nutritionally dense, and we eat less.

Then I found this food blog that I love, and she posted this awhile ago: The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread | My New Roots

Slice of this, toasted, with some honey is to die for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post

It's not easy and I hear you. It does take more time and organisation. Just have a bit of fruit before your morning ride. I usually grab an apple. Have the protein shake once you get work and try some low fat muesli instead of the more processed cereals. Graze through the day on nuts fruit and some carbs to fuel for the afternoon ride. One thing you'll have to do one day of the week is do the supply run with a bigger back pack. Good luck with it though it's worth it in the end.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)