User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: On Branding atmo -

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default On Branding atmo -

I pasted this text up on my site last night atmo. I'm interested in where others get inspiration from, if they have a plan, how they activate it, if it works, and what they see for themselves down the road. The word branding has many connotations. At the end of the day, we need to make money and live another day. One way to accomplish this is to tell your story. So, what's your point of view?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: On Branding atmo -

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I pasted this text up on my site last night atmo. I'm interested in where others get inspiration from, if they have a plan, how they activate it, if it works, and what they see for themselves down the road. The word branding has many connotations. At the end of the day, we need to make money and live another day. One way to accomplish this is to tell your story. So, what's your point of view?
    I'd loosely define branding as your efforts to influence how the public perceives your company & its products.

I think 'branding' can be accomplished in several different ways.

The 'good' way is the reality of people's experiences with the product. For example take a company that has earned its branding by producing extrodinary products: Snap-On tools or Anvil bicycle tools.

If Anvil comes out with head-tube reamer, I don't even have to look at it or check the specs to know it will be the best performing, most well thought out head-tube reamer out there.

The 'bad' way is pouring your efforts, time, and money into a slick web-site and some sort of promotional campaign that gives people the perception that your products are the best, most well thought out products out there.

In a practical sense most companies use both good & bad methods.

The best example of branding in this industry I can think of is Fat City Cycles. 30 years later, and people still worship the brand and believe Chris' torch was guided by god.

I get inspired by folks like Andy Gilmour or Paul Saddoff. Their brand reputations are built on years of doing quality work.

My efforts are inspired partially by the movie 'The Girlfriend Experience'. The recurring theme in the movie is the young lady working to 'get her rates up'. She didn't want more clients in a specific time period, she wanted higher margin from each transaction. One man frame shops could learn from this.

as always, imho. And yes, I've already started Friday 'festivities'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"true gifts are non-measurable.."
    a "true brand is a true gift,.." that you must create, maintain and rekindle..

the "brand" is everything..,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Glenn atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your story is an evolution. A progression to a point in space and time where things aren't necessarily perfect, but they feel right. It's your responsibility as a business owner to always be honing that story. One thing must hold true though: you must believe in the story you're telling. Live it. Breath it. Own it. Everything you do, everything you build, is a representation of your brand. Your ideal customers believe in what you're doing, what you're building and there is a connection with you, the builder. The more you tell this story, be it through the product, graphics, your logo etc. and the tighter / more succinct it is, the better you can reach those who are seeking you out. Clarity in your story is paramount so the client "get's it" immediately.

Ideally, 44 Bikes is all about anything with knobs that touches dirt. "Made to Shred". That's not to say I don't build road bikes, but I feel that my specialty and heart really lies on the roads less traveled and the trail that leads over the horizon to points unknown. That's where my spirit is lifted and I can get lost in the zone. I try to reflect that with each build I do for my clients. I find inspiration in many places but one that always really hits that spot are the projects where it's not necessarily fancy paint jobs or the latest and greatest: It's what's under the hood sort of thing. Subdued but aggressive. Low. Mean. Lean. Tight. Minimal branding and only what's essential. Form and function both work in harmony with one another. I've attempted to put together a tight brand story with each and every thing I do. Whether it's the bikes, website, my blog, my logo, pictures I take, the annual "catalog" I make, et all. I'm trying to formulate that mood and tell my story and no matter what the medium, somehow the client knows it's 44 Bikes because the story is cohesive (hopefully). But it's an evolution and always progressing.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Kris - I'm not impressed easily or often, but your perspective impresses me atmo. I am glad I asked!

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    Your story is an evolution. A progression to a point in space and time where things aren't necessarily perfect, but they feel right. It's your responsibility as a business owner to always be honing that story. One thing must hold true though: you must believe in the story you're telling. Live it. Breath it. Own it. Everything you do, everything you build, is a representation of your brand. Your ideal customers believe in what you're doing, what you're building and there is a connection with you, the builder. The more you tell this story, be it through the product, graphics, your logo etc. and the tighter / more succinct it is, the better you can reach those who are seeking you out. Clarity in your story is paramount so the client "get's it" immediately.

Ideally, 44 Bikes is all about anything with knobs that touches dirt. "Made to Shred". That's not to say I don't build road bikes, but I feel that my specialty and heart really lies on the roads less traveled and the trail that leads over the horizon to points unknown. That's where my spirit is lifted and I can get lost in the zone. I try to reflect that with each build I do for my clients. I find inspiration in many places but one that always really hits that spot are the projects where it's not necessarily fancy paint jobs or the latest and greatest: It's what's under the hood sort of thing. Subdued but aggressive. Low. Mean. Lean. Tight. Minimal branding and only what's essential. Form and function both work in harmony with one another. I've attempted to put together a tight brand story with each and every thing I do. Whether it's the bikes, website, my blog, my logo, pictures I take, the annual "catalog" I make, et all. I'm trying to formulate that mood and tell my story and no matter what the medium, somehow the client knows it's 44 Bikes because the story is cohesive (hopefully). But it's an evolution and always progressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot decide if they think branding is a good thing – a necessary thing – whose time has finally come, or if they think it’s the Devil’s work.
    In my niche of the cycling niche there are a couple of very successful companies who are marketing-driven. Their primary focus isn't to build the best wheels they can but rather to sell the most wheels possible while telling everyone how good they are. I have constant internal conflicts about this practise - is it commendable that they take a few hundred dollars of cheaply-made rubbish and sell it for thousands of dollars, deal quickly with the warranty issues, and bring out an 'improved' version a year later so people upgrade? Their customers seem happy about it - does that make it acceptable?

My view is that you should make the best possible product you can. Your brand should then be a derivative of this quality. Switching these - using PRO teams and magazine ads to first create a brand then leveraging to sell a mediocre product rubs me the wrong way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good topic Richard.

As I stated during our little live podcast thingy at NAHBS, a good brand elicits a common emotional response amongst its constituents. You should be able to describe it in one word, especially in today's over-saturated info laden world. Individuals can choose different words, but with great brands they mean essentially the same thing. A few examples: Nike = competition, Volvo = safety, Coke = refreshment. Having a great mark to go with the brand, like the Nike swoosh, or Coke's iconic bottle shape further reinforce the image/emotional context.

Folks can flame away, but having a great product isn't enough, in fact its barely ante, especially in an out-sourced world where getting things made well is only a function of a line of credit and a shipping addy. The converse is that if you create great emotional context with good marketing and then fail to back it up with great product and service, it's at best a fleeting opportunity.

I'll further fan the flames and say that in this little niche it is relatively easy to enter with sufficient product, but very difficult to prosper and endure over time by carving out your own distinctive slice of consumer mind-share. The space is chock full of brands with real equity built over a reasonable sweep of time that provide the bespoke consumer with plenty of choice. It doesn't mean that a newbie can't find their own sliver, but it takes some true distinction and perhaps more fiscal patience/resource than is practical for someone trying to make a living off of the effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gary - TLD and I have been writing a lot lately, she for her Masters Degree and me (myself?) simply to slay demons. We had a chat some two months ago about our collective place in all this. Her position was that you should be able to define your role using one single sentence. For me, that was difficult because I had no practice. After some soul-searching and juggling of memories, anecdotes, and words, it was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by GSmith View Post
    Good topic Richard.

As I stated during our little live podcast thingy at NAHBS, a good brand elicits a common emotional response amongst its constituents. You should be able to describe it in one word, especially in today's over-saturated info laden world. Individuals can choose different words, but with great brands they mean essentially the same thing. A few examples: Nike = competition, Volvo = safety, Coke = refreshment. Having a great mark to go with the brand, like the Nike swoosh, or Coke's iconic bottle shape further reinforce the image/emotional context.

Folks can flame away, but having a great product isn't enough, in fact its barely ante, especially in an out-sourced world where getting things made well is only a function of a line of credit and a shipping addy. The converse is that if you create great emotional context with good marketing and then fail to back it up with great product and service, it's at best a fleeting opportunity.

I'll further fan the flames and say that in this little niche it is relatively easy to enter with sufficient product, but very difficult to prosper and endure over time by carving out your own distinctive slice of consumer mind-share. The space is chock full of brands with real equity built over a reasonable sweep of time that provide the bespoke consumer with plenty of choice. It doesn't mean that a newbie can't find their own sliver, but it takes some true distinction and perhaps more fiscal patience/resource than is practical for someone trying to make a living off of the effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is a brand? Can a person be a brand?

I'm a complete tech head, often a solution provider, however technology alone is a poor substitute to experience ,but there are guys that just sweat every little detail because whilst they don't have to in buisness terms they need to do this to satisfy their own obsessive compulsiveness, some come from backgrounds where being excellent doesn't even make the grade.
    I know already I know sweet F.A. about branding Im no good at writing or getting a point across ,does this mean branding or marketing is the only way forward?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Mike - A person can be a brand, he just can't be a commodity. I think a person and a brand can be conflated, particularly in the working and commercial environment. It's not unusual when you have sole proprietorships and niche businesses. But that's only on the inside. Away from these places, folks know you as the guy next to them at the checkout counter, or the fellow whose chimney they just swept.

I don't have schooling (or even an interest) in branding and marketing. Where I come into this thread is this: If you tell folks what you do, if you have an opinion, and boundaries, and listen to them when they talk back and tell you their thoughts, it's who you are. Either a connection is made or it isn't. And if no connections is made, there's no commerce - and no money to pay the monthly bills, or left so that you can tap it when you retire. Trained brand strategists will have a completely different take atmo. Their skills include creating and nurturing a market regardless of what the product is. I'm sure many would only take on clients whose products they believe in. But the difference is that they are hired for their skill, while the product makers are in a different sphere hoping they'll sell stuff.

It's inconceivable to me that folks would make their own stuff and not have the inherent tools and intuition to tell others about what they do. No brand strategists are needed. And when I wrote the text it was because my perception is that some don't understand how important it is to make themselves available. It's how you reach the public. If you don't do it, or wait too long, someone else might get that order.

I'd like to see folks I know in the trade have success so I often nudge them to open up and let the rest of the world in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GSmith View Post
    "...having a great product isn't enough, in fact its barely ante..."
    I agree whole heartedly with what Gary has written above and especially with the snippet I have grabbed from his statement. The product is only a piece of the puzzle. You need to be able to create great product that reflects the brand and have the mindset to successfully market or promote it in some fashion. It's really the whole enchilada that starts with the logo which reflects your ideals and story, and everything else is built on that as your story is the foundation. The product reflects that clarity in vision, it's succinct focus, and consistency not only in messaging but in the product itself. Each piece should be a stand alone that represents the brand. However, when you bring that flock of product together, they all appear as a family of objects and that's where the consistency comes into play. Obviously, as you hone your skills as a builder, the messaging and builds refine themselves as well. And in reality, it rarely works like this and most times works in reverse where you're creating product and then going back to build the story around that product but in most cases, the story was there all along and the product reflected that. Of course, I also think this is a set of ideals. You may never reach that, but you should be attempting to reach that point in space that I spoke of earlier in a way you feel confident or working on a way in which to achieve those goals.

I think branding is a hot topic because of this: you can't just build bikes anymore. In a world of triangles and fancy paint, you need to carve out something unique and special that reflects your own set of ideals. That goes for any business really and especially those working within niche markets with discerning customers with an eye for detail. However I am a firm believer in what Eames states: "The details are not the details. They make the product."
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    ...but in most cases, the story was there all along and the product reflected that.
    And I agree wholeheartedly with what Kris has written above and especially with the snippet I have grabbed from his statement atmo.

Later - off to ride my bicycle and do the Saturday country chores!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcdermid View Post
    I'd say that when it comes to bespoke bicycles, the person almost HAS to be the brand.

To me, the closer you get to the exclusive 1% of the product spectrum the more important the individual behind the product becomes.

People don't buy Richard's bikes because they want a Nice Steel Bike, they buy them because they want a Richard Sachs Nice Steel Bike.

What they're really buying is a piece of Richard (or of Curt, or any of the other folk who have been at it long enough and well enough that their name alone is enough.) That is the brand.

You can try to build a brand overnight (look at any number of internet companies that are no longer) or you can gut it out over the long run, always staying consistent in your vision, and let the brand come to you.

The thing that has always amazed me is how quickly a great brand can be tarnished. Does Nike, who spent billions, stand for "just do it" or "sweatshop labor?" Look at the damage done to Boeing by, literally, a handful of batteries.

I say put your name on the side, let that become the brand and be done with it. Your customers aren't buying a bike, they can get one of those anywhere and probably for a lot less, they're buying you.

As a purely practical matter, don't underestimate the importance of merchandising, which is basically letting people pay you to spread your brand. T-shirts, water bottles, bottle openers, etc... may seem cheesy or just a pain in the butt but they are high margin and if they're quality, they let people buy you at a more affordable price point.
    Will Outlaw, Amateur
    Build it. Ride the hell out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Mike - A person can be a brand, he just can't be a commodity. I think a person and a brand can be conflated, particularly in the working and commercial environment. It's not unusual when you have sole proprietorships and niche businesses. But that's only on the inside. Away from these places, folks know you as the guy next to them at the checkout counter, or the fellow whose chimney they just swept.

I don't have schooling (or even an interest) in branding and marketing. Where I come into this thread is this: If you tell folks what you do, if you have an opinion, and boundaries, and listen to them when they talk back and tell you their thoughts, it's who you are. Either a connection is made or it isn't. And if no connections is made, there's no commerce - and no money to pay the monthly bills, or left so that you can tap it when you retire. Trained brand strategists will have a completely different take atmo. Their skills include creating and nurturing a market regardless of what the product is. I'm sure many would only take on clients whose products they believe in. But the difference is that they are hired for their skill, while the product makers are in a different sphere hoping they'll sell stuff.

It's inconceivable to me that folks would make their own stuff and not have the inherent tools and intuition to tell others about what they do. No brand strategists are needed. And when I wrote the text it was because my perception is that some don't understand how important it is to make themselves available. It's how you reach the public. If you don't do it, or wait too long, someone else might get that order.

I'd like to see folks I know in the trade have success so I often nudge them to open up and let the rest of the world in.
    Understood

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So expanding the "About Edoz" page on my blog would be a good idea?
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    So expanding the "About Edoz" page on my blog would be a good idea?
    Meh.
    "I've loved bikes ever since I can remember, they are an integral part of my life"
    Blahblahblah........
    Let your work speak for you.
    Go to races, go to festivals, cary your biz cards & ride what you make.
    Worked for me.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting.

i agree that most of the folks on this forum don't "need" a brand strategist. but as a guy who makes his living in branding, it's inconceivable to me not to have a brand strategy.
    i think, richard, that you have a strategy even if you didn't set out to have one. the story you tell is is a reflection of your strategy. it's crystal clear, it's consistent, it's well and frequently told. and, honestly, i'm a big fan of that strategy. in fact, i've directed clients to your site to show them an example of a sharp strategy communicated through a well told story.

what makes your story more than just a story, what makes it an effective strategy, is that it has some critical components for success - it's differentiated, it's meaningful and it creates a sense of product superiority.

there are tons of guys sitting on park benches with stories to tell, willing "to open up and let the rest of the world in."

but unless that story has some solid strategic underpinnings, they'll only be talking to themselves.
    david corr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shop Credo.
    - Garro.