User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rice Cookers: Simple or High Tech?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rice Cookers: Simple or High Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Try a longer soak and add melted butter to the result and toss.

Nic is right, nothing beats a slow torture on stovetop with a good pot.

I'm a caveman, most of the time I can't pay attention long enough to make good stovetop rice.
    Tell me more about the butter, please.
    I’m still producing gummy nonsense in the Zojirushi. At this point I think it’s the rice and not me, since I rinse, polish, massage....everything listed above. Last night the wife and I were making some Indian food and I couldn’t stand to put it over the gummy rice. I remembered seeing Alton Brown do a recap of his 20 minute method. He starts by toasting the grains in a pan with butter and salt then adding boiling water and covering 20 minutes. It was the best rice I’ve made in years. I almost threw the rice pot onto the law. BTW, used the same rice in the cooker for comparison: wife chose to throw it out!
    So.....why not toast the rice before throwing it in the Zojirushi? Or would just adding the butter into the pot accomplish the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was low tech for years till my son had us over for dinner for beans over rice. I can tell you that his rice was just perfect. Each grain was separate and the texture was just right,not gummy and over cooked undercooked and crunchy.
    I ended up getting a zojirushi NP-GB05 and use it at least once a week and the finished product is always perfect.
    I use mostly japanese medium grain rice. It also makes sweet or sticky rice great for mango rice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Tell me more about the butter, please.
    I’m still producing gummy nonsense in the Zojirushi. At this point I think it’s the rice and not me, since I rinse, polish, massage....everything listed above.
    The rice matters. Whole Foods 365 white basmati is great and has been my go-to for years. At the start of the quarantine, there was a run on rice, and we had to investigate alternatives. We ordered a 10 pound sack of Daawat off Amazon, and I'd say it's at least as good as the 365 rice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234